Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: StarCraft: Evolution

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default StarCraft: Evolution

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft:_Evolution

The latest SC book

The war between the terrans, the protoss, and the zerg has been over for years, but the fight for peace is still being waged. As the Terran Dominion struggles to recover from the ravages of war, Emperor Valerian Mengsk has no intention of ruling in the same bloody manner as his father, the late Arcturus Mengsk. Instead of seeking vengeance, Valerian is determined to maintain the peace. So when he receives an urgent plea for aid from Zagara, Overqueen of the savage zerg Swarm, he agrees to hear her case despite his personal misgivings and the severe disapproval of Hierarch Artanis of the protoss.

Zagara claims that the Swarm has changed. No longer bent on destruction, they have revitalized the planet Gystt, once thought to be irreparable after its incineration by the protoss during wartime. Now the zerg wish only to live there in peace and nurture new life. But when Dominion agents—a hard-bitten marine, an unpredictable reaper, an idealistic xenobiologist, a former ghost operative, and an enigmatic protoss researcher—arrive to investigate the planet, they suspect that not all of the zerg are truly dedicated to Zagara’s dream of harmonious paradise. Gystt hides dark secrets, and should they be unleashed, it will mean disaster for the universe.
    Not to prejudge, but this seems terrible. The StarCraft universe has been molested so much it's unbelievable... :/

Default Re: StarCraft: Evolution

Well, it is Timothy Zahn, so I'll reserve judgment until we get some excerpts.

I can't see Zagara forging a world of paradise however. Maybe, as the research team studies Gystt, it will also serve as Zagara's own research lab to study the terrans and protoss in turn.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 04-29-2016 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Not to prejudge, but this seems terrible.
    Only seems terrible if anyone actually believes Zagara. The Zerg shouldn't be anything but murderous.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft:_Evolution

The latest SC book

Not to prejudge, but this seems terrible. The StarCraft universe has been molested so much it's unbelievable... :/
    Oh that. Look Gradius, you can argue all you want that this is going completely against everything the Zerg stand for (if Zagara is being sincere), but it's no different than what happened in the case with the Tal'darim in LotV.

Remember what Artanis and Vorazun discussed: although servitude to Amon is all they've known, they've been lied to, so once Amon is taken care of, they'll be free to discover what they want to be.

In a similar way it's not much different from the Zerg (though there's much greater skepticism): even with the primal Zerg, their upbringing was something done by Amon. It's entirely possible that had Amon NOT interfered (assuming the Zerg parasites could actually survive Zerus's harsh environment), they would have been able to try to discover their real purpose.

Remember what Duran said in Into the Void: "The swarm had one purpose: to assimilate the Protoss and create the hybrid. Now, you are no longer needed." Thus the whole point of both the primals and corrupted Zerg was merely to pave the way for Amon's master race. Now they have to find a new purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    Only seems terrible if anyone actually believes Zagara. The Zerg shouldn't be anything but murderous.
    The Daelaam are already skeptical, but given that the Zerg upbringing was done by Amon, they should now find their own path. Granted this shouldn't be TOO much different from their murderous mentality....
    Last edited by ragnarok; 04-29-2016 at 10:29 PM.

The StarCraft universe has been molested so much it's unbelievable... :/
    There, there Starcraft. Just close your eyes and think of England.

In seriousness though, I'm sure there'd be more to this than what it looks like. It could be revealed (what a twist!) to be a ploy by Zagara or some other malevolent force trying to take over the Zerg again (surprise!) or... whatever.

At this point, the Zerg (and anything to do with them) in Starcraft are expected to be nothing more than convenient plot devices. Either way, by the end of the book I'm certain it will either a) maintain the current status quo with everything all being dandy and peaceful still or b) go back to the previous status quo where all the races start fighting each other again. I'm guessing it's going to be the latter.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    There, there Starcraft. Just close your eyes and think of England.

In seriousness though, I'm sure there'd be more to this than what it looks like. It could be revealed (what a twist!) to be a ploy by Zagara or some other malevolent force trying to take over the Zerg again (surprise!) or... whatever.
    Not likely. The SC2 stories have gotten for the most part predictable. Likely the lessons Kerrigan tried to teach Zagara is for her to find another path for the Zerg, something that doesn't involve killing everyone. Course, the audience probably won't approve because we've known the swarm to be killing machines for so long, few people could see them to be anything but that.

Sounds vile.

but I don't read these garbage books anyway, they always mangle the lore but in this case it's already been mangled beyond repair.

It could be good, it could be bad. I'll wait until I see excerpts for the writing quality, and the whole work before judging the story. Zagara could be studying the terrans and protoss; she needs to learn how they behave, after all.

It could be a flat-out trap by her or renegade zerg. We know there's still feral zerg throughout the sector, and rogue brood-mothers and primal packs are hardly out of the question even if Zagara is being genuinely peaceful.
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

Well that sounds horrible

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserStratosTygo View Post
    Sounds vile.

but I don't read these garbage books anyway, they always mangle the lore but in this case it's already been mangled beyond repair.
    That's your problem, Stratos. You keep criticizing the whole series. Granted I too have my doubts, but it could turn out well. It'll just be weird to see the Zerg acting differently.