Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova: Covert Ops [SPOILERS]

Default Re: Nova: Covert Ops [SPOILERS]

I wonder if Reigel's robotic arms are based on Purifier tech? Terran cybernetics is normally gun-metal grey with red or green lighting, and not at all that elegant. It's got an identical color scheme, and I believe the Daelaam and Dominion are at least on diplomatic terms if nothing else. Could be reverse-engineered as well.

Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

I also thought of Umojan tech. I vaguely remember somewhere Valerian promising to return protoss tech to the Daelaam?
    Last edited by Gradius; 03-30-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post

Part of preserving life includes removing dangerous threats. Part of redemption includes fixing and not repeating past mistakes. After killing billions of humans, the fact that she allows any more to die is like a reformed serial killer going out to kill more people.

Zerg are biological murder machines designed to kill/assimilate people. If she has more empathy for them than other humans, that makes her evil. So what part of what I said do you actually disagree with? Changing zerg from scary alien invaders into misunderstood characters that require sympathy was a mind-numbingly stupid story design decision.
    It says everything is from a human perspective, really very subjective and anthropocentric. she preserve life is not a way of life in specific. besides that the function of xelnagas is to plant life exactly what she does, you expect is she take a role of judge and eliminine other forms of life, that you consider harmful, but that is more part of about right as similar to the human, which from another point of view, the zerg can be simply considered to be successful, that if they tear down the walls that holds, have their right to dominate,this is similar to plan amon, where he believes a universe alone with hybrid was better. leaving aside our feeling that humans we are more important. I'll be different empathize designed to kill only does not make us bad on a wide our judgment about life. Naturally fascinate with predators, sometimes attributing human values ​​sometimes is easier to understand that they are different. to defeat our enemy and we must understand, when you understand, you've come to love him

I can't really understand the rest of your paragraph.
    so as kerrigan sacrificed in Zerus for revenge, it is a valid sacrifice his ascesion and becoming anything like something she did not understand and not want (as well as Amon not want to make that sacrifice). virtue of redemption is not in the epic feats, this search itself.

as a joke: the ascent was not easy, jim was scared when he imagine kerrigan ascend with the appearance of ouros
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drakolobo; 03-30-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by drakolobo View Post
    It says everything is from a human perspective, really very subjective and anthropocentric. she preserve life is not a way of life in specific. besides that the function of xelnagas is to plant life exactly what she does, you expect is she take a role of judge and eliminine other forms of life, that you consider harmful, but that is more part of about right as similar to the human, which from another point of view, the zerg can be simply considered to be successful, that if they tear down the walls that holds, have their right to dominate,this is similar to plan amon, where he believes a universe alone with hybrid was better. leaving aside our feeling that humans we are more important. I'll be different empathize designed to kill only does not make us bad on a wide our judgment about life. Naturally fascinate with predators, sometimes attributing human values ​​sometimes is easier to understand that they are different. to defeat our enemy and we must understand, when you understand, you've come to love him

so as kerrigan sacrificed in Zerus for revenge, it is a valid sacrifice his ascesion and becoming anything like something she did not understand and not want (as well as Amon not want to make that sacrifice). virtue of redemption is not in the epic feats, this search itself.
    Please explain how she's preserving life by allowing zerg to kill more people? Seeding planets with life is not "preservation". That's like saying a murderer should be let out of jail because he made some babies. I'm not saying eliminate the zerg as a species. I'm saying remove them as an external threat. Which means moving them to another galaxy, ordering/rewiring them to be peaceful. Not difficult things to do considering she already controlled them all.

Kerrigan is not redeemed. She was given power she didn't deserve and still got to live happily ever after with Jim. Whatever sacrifice she thought she was making pales in comparison to the "billions" of human lives she destroyed, and is indirectly continuing to.

So wait, after Kerrigan left the zerg to their own devices, they are attacking humanity once again? And Swann's voice popping up on the equipment menu made me cringe. God I hate that guy.

Otherwise, I'm highly impressed with the polish of these missions. You can tell that after 3 gamefs, the team's got their workflow down pat. Very impressive. I never really cared about Nova - she's essentially a blonde Kerrigan. But I'm enjoying the smaller scale of these missions and I'm glad that all this Amon crap is over.
    Only because Blizzard screwed up Amon's character without even telling us why he's doing what he's doing. It was a shame they're just copying the mechanic from HotS because Nova can't really die, she just gets teleported back to the base and everything.

Please explain how she's preserving life by allowing zerg to kill more people? Seeding planets with life is not "preservation". That's like saying a murderer should be let out of jail because he made some babies. I'm not saying eliminate the zerg as a species. I'm saying remove them as an external threat. Which means moving them to another galaxy, ordering/rewiring them to be peaceful. Not difficult things to do considering she already controlled them all.

Kerrigan is not redeemed. She was given power she didn't deserve and still got to live happily ever after with Jim. Whatever sacrifice she thought she was making pales in comparison to the "billions" of human lives she destroyed, and is indirectly continuing to.
    The main problem here is that for all these years, in the end she still doesn't know much about humanity. She hasn't exactly seen the nobility acts from them (save for Raynor). It would take her many years for her to see that.

As for the whole eliminating the Zerg species as a whole or something, many had speculated that if the events of SC2 never happened, there was never a threat from Amon or the hybrids or Duran, it was possible Kerrigan might have just allowed the swarm to stay in their own sector. They won't go attacking anyone, but must be left alone.

If so, this would be consistent with Zagara's actions at the end of LotV, where she used the swarm to conquer the systems around Char, merely as a deterrent. Problem is no one else is going to see it that way, and therefore war with the swarm (even if we discount the Nova DLC) would be inevitable.
    Last edited by ragnarok; 03-30-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Ha! Good one!

While we're at it, why are the Zerg still attracted to Psi Emitters again?
    Did you forget what they said in SC1's terran campaign? Back then, when Mengsk, Raynor, and Kerrigan discussed the Psi Emitters, they said that the Zerg were attracted to the psionic enmanations of ghosts. The Confederacy built the emitters to broadcast that neural imprint, but at a much greater magnitude.

Despite all the years that's passed, it was NEVER stated that Kerrigan eliminated this problem from the swarm....

I also thought of Umojan tech. I vaguely remember somewhere Valerian promising to return protoss tech to the Daelaam?
    Yeah in the Brothers in Arms mission. But by then he was leading the Dominion. It's not yet explained how Dominion and Umojan relationships are coming along, though certainly I expect it to be better than his father's version, since the Umojans were sick of his rule even when he was still leading the SoK....

Zerg are biological murder machines designed to kill/assimilate people. If she has more empathy for them than other humans, that makes her evil. So what part of what I said do you actually disagree with? Changing zerg from scary alien invaders into misunderstood characters that require sympathy was a mind-numbingly stupid story design decision.

I can't really understand the rest of your paragraph.
    That's only because she's only seen the WORST that humanity has to offer. Look Gradius, I don't think you're going to get it unless you personally experience something like this in your life. I live in an environment where EVERYTHING is "Do as I say, no questions asked." Or if I raise it, the answer is always "Because I said so." Been this way for me since probably before you even learned how to walk.

It's not about being evil, it's just that once the Overmind and the Cerebrates were gone, Kerrigan felt there was no one left to control her anymore, and given the hell she went through LONG before taken by the swarm, there's grounds for that.

That's only because she's only seen the WORST that humanity has to offer. Look Gradius, I don't think you're going to get it unless you personally experience something like this in your life. I live in an environment where EVERYTHING is "Do as I say, no questions asked." Or if I raise it, the answer is always "Because I said so." Been this way for me since probably before you even learned how to walk.

It's not about being evil, it's just that once the Overmind and the Cerebrates were gone, Kerrigan felt there was no one left to control her anymore, and given the hell she went through LONG before taken by the swarm, there's grounds for that.
    I can sympathize. I've seen a lot of psychological trauma, including PTSD from war. This why, when it was revealed that Protoss are being teleported off the battlefield, I was pissed when people started calling Templar cowards for surviving the fight another day. Yeah, it's just a game, but I was angered by the implications. Bravery, honor and selflessness can only be achieved by death? Fuck that.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I can sympathize. I've seen a lot of psychological trauma, including PTSD from war. This why, when it was revealed that Protoss are being teleported off the battlefield, I was pissed when people started calling Templar cowards for surviving the fight another day. Yeah, it's just a game, but I was angered by the implications. Bravery, honor and selflessness can only be achieved by death? Fuck that.
    That's my point, VoK. When you're in an environment where the higher ups understand NOTHING except authority abuse, it puts a lot of anger and resentment in you. But as long as you still need them, you have nowhere to vent.

Now granted that's an understatement given Kerrigan's actions in the BW, but the principles hold true. The bottom line is that the concepts Blizzard used for her character is nothing new, but it's on a much bigger scale, and pushed to extreme measures.

The main problem is that they pushed those measures so far that even for people in my case, we were saying "Only the most blind and naive could be doing such things and still think they did nothing wrong." THAT was what ruined Kerrigan's character.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Did you forget what they said in SC1's terran campaign? Back then, when Mengsk, Raynor, and Kerrigan discussed the Psi Emitters, they said that the Zerg were attracted to the psionic enmanations of ghosts.
    No, I didn't forget. The Zerg are only attracted to psychic emanations in Sc1 because they are the extended will of the Overmind, who was looking for psionic humans at the time. In BW, the presence of a new but albeit immature Overmind could explain why the Psi Emitters were still useable but were a lot weaker in effect (it needed to be close to feral Zerg in order to attract them). With the Overmind having no sway over Zerg there whatsoever in Sc2 (being actually physically dead for reals), there is no "motivation" for the Zerg to be still blindly attracted to psionics anymore.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.