Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Carriers Have Portals Inside Them?

Default Why Do Carriers Have Portals Inside Them?

I can't be the only one to notice the circular warp rift inside carriers. Maybe they store interceptors in a distant planet, or in energy form like a phase prism.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Zoar's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Why Do Carriers Have Portals Inside Them?

I always assumed that the new smaller carriers used a teleportation rift to bring in interceptors from a factory. That way they don't need to have all the manufacturing facilities on board. Can have more carriers for a lot less resources that way.

Going to mostly go with zoar, they probably have manufacturing facilities but warp the materials directly in, or can also warp in interceptors.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

So a giant ship with no armaments who's only job is to manufacture interceptors doesn't actually manufacture the interceptors? What the hell does it do then? And why is it so large? :P

My theory? It's a way for the crew to retreat and not die if the ship goes down.
    Last edited by Gradius; 03-02-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Or its the purifier beam firing slot...

I thought Carriers have onboard automated manufacturing plants in general. Like Reavers for their scarabs.

I'd imagine the warp field would have had other uses beside material transport for the production of interceptors since the Carrier was initially designed as flagship to carry out military campaigns on its own if necessary, right? For example, it could be used to ferry troops in. I'm sure there's some gameplay-lore segregation going on to justify its existence but not having a function in-game (cos it'd be OP) like how Carriers can't fire purifier beams in-game but supposedly have them.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    So a giant ship with no armaments who's only job is to manufacture interceptors doesn't actually manufacture the interceptors? What the hell does it do then? And why is it so large? :P

My theory? It's a way for the crew to retreat and not die if the ship goes down.
    But don't Carriers already have escape pods anyway? I thought one of the SC novels (Shadow of the Xel'Naga, I think) said they did...

Protoss can warp, but it's also reasonable to say they'd carry troops around. It seems Tassadar's fleet was carrying his troops with him rather than warping them from Aiur when he was dealing with the Confederacy and the Queen of Blades. I suppose those big carriers "carry" a lot of troops, vehicles, ships and base-constructing components around. Protoss are also explorers, not just warriors (that's why they have a "scout" ship). They explore places far beyong warp's reach. So just like old time, the main ships of explorers must be bigger and crouded with resources.

So a warp rift would be useful to transport stuff from Aiur to the city-like carrier and back. Also, I always thought the Carrier looks a lot like the Stargate, specially in SC I. I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same: warp in ships in the middle of space, during battles.

Quote Originally Posted by TcheQuevara View Post
    So a warp rift would be useful to transport stuff from Aiur to the city-like carrier and back. Also, I always thought the Carrier looks a lot like the Stargate, specially in SC I. I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same: warp in ships in the middle of space, during battles.
    They probably could from a lore POV. The whole warping in ships mechanic we finally got in LotV was likely just something Blizzard wanted us to think to be new, but the Protoss had it all along. Wouldn't really be too surprising, since the Tal'darim fought in HotS already had this ability to warp in Void Rays and Carriers, even in areas without a psi field, and all their tech was merely copied off the Khalai and Nerazim, according to LotV, so this would including warping tech.

I wonder if your typical carrier is capable of glassing a planet, perhaps with that warp rift somehow. Maybe the warp rift connects to a gate orbiting a star and focuses that solar plasma into a beam.