Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Default Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    I'm not saying Wars is bad (except for the prequels/ewok spin offs), I'm just saying when you've got Trek on one side, and Wars on the other, Trek's better overall.
    Going to have to disagree on that one.

I like Trek, but it doesn't interest me as much as Star Wars did and does.

If you can get your hands on any reading material covering any arc of the "Knights of the Old Republic", or are willing to play the rpgs, including the current free to play mmo "old republic". I'd give that a go in trying to delve deeper into the star wars universe (in trying to get a sense of who the jedi and sith are). The single player games are the prehistory of the mmo, while the mmo has a story arc for each class which i found well done considering they also had to inject 2 faction arcs and an overall storyline for every player to follow.

Its not about anything directly related to the original trilogy, but fleshes out a lot of aspects of sith and jedi. In lamen terms, jedi are like buddhist monks, trying to find stillness in their consciousness to be one with the force, while sith on the other hand advocate the complete opposite; to reach your full potential is to give in and unleash your emotions. Even on an philosophical sense, the jedi and sith aren't compatible, hence for generations in the guise of varying political factions the jedi and sith combat each other.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    To me at least, a good story also doesn't compensate for bad visuals.
    To me, it's the reverse. Good visuals will never replace good story. Though I am certainly willing to concede that Trek visuals (other than ship design, which is more of a fair fight), are lesser. That's very much due to lesser budgets, particularly in the original series. They even had their own illegal sweatshop to get costumes done in time, apparently.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

What books do you recommend for a n00b?
    I, Jedi would be the first book I'd recommend to you.

While it was contentious among most fans, I actually really liked the New Jedi Order series precisely because it took down Character Plot Shields. The moral ambiguity is pretty damn high; Star By Star was one of my all-time favorites, but it was a climax of the series, meaning it loses its depth and meaning when not buttressed with the rest of the series. Definitely not a stand-alone.

The Thrawn Trilogy is a mainstay.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 01-21-2016 at 06:05 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

So, I looked into Traitor and the New Jedi Order series, and found out that Traitor was written by Matthew Woodring Stover. One of my favorite authors. The Acts of Caine series is one of the best fantasy/science fiction mixtures I have ever read. I plan to read everything he puts out. So, perhaps, you should look into the series. It starts with Heroes Die. Amazing book. I'll definitely be working my way to Traitor, I assume it requires reading the previous books, correct?

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Oh hey, Stover novelized Revenge of the Sith! No wonder Anakin's fall was so much more believable in the book than the movie!

I'm reading a few details about Heroes Die, and am pleased that Stover's writing style changes slightly between characters, reflecting their different perspectives. This is something I've noticed doesn't happen often in books. I'm also reading that Frederick Nietsche was a big influence on him, which is evident in his writing. I'll check it out.

But yeah, Traitor is something of a digression from the main series of New Jedi Order. While most of the books contain multiple perspectives on the war, Traitor is focused entirely on the plot development of one, Jacen Solo. So in a sense, it's something of a standalone novel. But there are characters and concepts stemming from other books, so the significance of events may be lost on you. I'd still recommend it though! Stover's a great author.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 01-24-2016 at 10:38 AM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I'll start reading Star Wars books, even if for no other reason than to read Stover's books. Thinking of starting with the novelizations of the movies. Are the novelizations of the prequels worth reading or are they as pointless as the movies? I'm also wanting to finally continue the Old Republic storyline, but have no interest in the MMO. Do the newer Old Republic books require you to have played the MMO?

I didn't know that about Nietzche and Stover, but I got that impression anyways. His works are always philosophical deep and a bit nihilistic.

I'm reading a few details about Heroes Die, and am pleased that Stover's writing style changes slightly between characters, reflecting their different perspectives.
    I listen to the audio books and don't pay much attention to the writing style, but the perspectives definitely do feel different. Not just for different characters, but when the main character is in each of the worlds. So, when he's a fantasy hero bad ass the writing changes to that, and when he's on his home world, he's more of a fed up cubicle employee, which fits, and allows the characters to progress.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Star wars, star trek, starcraft, star citizen, wish we could all go back to sim ants
    Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I want my name in bright yellow, to represent "Forum Douchebag."