Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    The Overmind in the manual knew where Aiur was, precisely enough to burn a path straight to there and eat every world on the way.
    Nope. He probably knew coordinates but he doesn't know how to use a computer so therefore it's worthless to him. He might have garnered a general location from Xel'Naga memories, but space is far bigger than most people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Again, bad writing, inconsistencies and author ignorance. The Overmind in the manual knew where Aiur was, precisely enough to burn a path straight to there and eat every world on the way.

You cannot just shatter crystals and expect that to stop anyone. Crystals are just rocks with molecules arranged in a regular lattice. You can make them in real life artificially with relative ease. In WoL Raynor grows them in his lab. If the zerg know the chemical composition of the crystals they can make their own. If crystals were not renewable then the Protoss would have run out long ago.
    The very most the Overmind knew was a vague idea. Now, if you wanted to claim bad writing, you should have used the SC2 lore. If Amon created the Overmind, why the hell didn't he just tell the guy where Aiur was? Of course if you're to do that then you'd have to take into account what Zamara told Jake Ramsey: the Xel'Naga's work on the zerg wasn't finished before what happened at Zerus back then.

As for the whole growing them in the lab in WoL, I'm not here to disagree on that, but you'd think the Xel'Naga would have ways to negate the regrowth process. They could have taken that into account when dealing with the swarm

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Then why DID the Overmind need to work on the Khaydarin crystals?
    The Khaydarin crystal was needed as part of its plan/ritual to be made manifest on Aiur. Why it needed to be made manifest is never made clear but based on what we know about it, it's history, it's motivations, Occam's razor would suggest that it would have something to do with achieving perfection, which in the current time and place would be assimilating the Protoss.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    The Khaydarin crystal was needed as part of its plan/ritual to be made manifest on Aiur. Why it needed to be made manifest is never made clear but based on what we know about it, it's history, it's motivations, Occam's razor would suggest that it would have something to do with achieving perfection, which in the current time and place would be assimilating the Protoss.
    This is why I'm not fully convinced of Mislagnissa's argument that the SC1 lore was saying the Overmind never had a physical body to begin with, and just forgot the whole thing in BW. Manifest means to show in plain sight, which could also be part of its ego or something....

Occam's razor would suggest that it would have something to do with achieving perfection, which in the current time and place would be assimilating the Protoss.
    I'd always assumed the Khaydarin crystal was meant to help bind the Overmind's form to Aiur's psionic matrix, which may have some bearing on its ability to assimilate the protoss. The thought of the Overmind suffusing its consciousness and being across the entire planet is a little disquieting, too.

A lot of people argue that this runs counter to Amon's imperative for the Overmind to destroy the protoss, but we know now that the Overmind could have never assimilated them on its own. Its struggle to find a way to absorb them, coupled with the protoss' continued resistance, would have been enough to drive both to extinction, as per Amon's desire.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Again, bad writing, inconsistencies and author ignorance. The Overmind in the manual knew where Aiur was, precisely enough to burn a path straight to there and eat every world on the way.
    Um, it says in the manual that the Zerg sent out scouts to find other worlds to conquer. This is how they found the Protoss. There was never any hint of evidence that the Overmind had any previous knowledge of how to get there.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I'd always assumed the Khaydarin crystal was meant to help bind the Overmind's form to Aiur's psionic matrix, which may have some bearing on its ability to assimilate the protoss. The thought of the Overmind suffusing its consciousness and being across the entire planet is a little disquieting, too.
    I don't recall the Overmind even knew anything about the psionic matrix to begin with

Future War Chests should have a few new dances for each race, eventually give every unit a dance or two. Why not?
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheliek View Post
    Future War Chests should have a few new dances for each race, eventually give every unit a dance or two. Why not?
    Do you know when the next war chest will come out?

No but I'm hoping soon because I need one more marine model.
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.