Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Does anybody think the Tal'Darim are basically darker versions of the dark templar? They use void energy, but look and act way more sinister. Dark templar seem pretty mild in comparison. And now the khalai aren't even khalai anymore; the khala and psionic matrix is gone. They're all kind of blurring together.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    No, the SC2-ified dragoon is in-game. A completely different model that's basically a hi-res translation of the exact Brood War one is also in there. Also, OBS is being a shit (as OBS does), but the normal model is VoidDragoon.m3. The old-school one is Dragoon.m3. See for yourself.
    Oh wow you're right. Pretty cool. :P

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Egg_Madness

I'll let this page speak for itself.
    SC2 handle - "DrakeyC, code 929"

I ARE A PROPHET! I've predicted three major aspects of SC2 correct, more or less.

June 2007 - I predicted the Protoss campaign would give you new tech as you conducted diplomacy among tribes.

Hidden Content:
    July 18th 2010 - I predicted Raynor would broadcast information of Mengsk's actions on Tarsonis to discredit him and incite rebellion.

Hidden Content:
    June 16th 2010 I predicted the Voice in the Darkness was the commanding force behind the Hybrids. I'm calling it half-right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Does anybody think the Tal'Darim are basically darker versions of the dark templar? They use void energy, but look and act way more sinister. Dark templar seem pretty mild in comparison. And now the khalai aren't even khalai anymore; the khala and psionic matrix is gone. They're all kind of blurring together.

Oh wow you're right. Pretty cool. :P
    It's pretty convenient for me TBH. Still planning out my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Clawfang View Post
    http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Egg_Madness

I'll let this page speak for itself.
    I love that Futurama-esque humour.
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

Scouts would be worth it if their price was lowered to 150/125 and their stats were left alone (or just barely tweaked). 275/150? Not. Worth it.

The stats on them now are clearly not (nor should be) equivilent to BW. The scouts were never available to build, so i have no idea what they should cost. However, the lotv campaign gave them a basic anti air attack (i think base 7X2) with a singe roll +light bonus against ground targets; pretty much an alternative to the pheonix or corsair and thus would be your goto starfighter for 100min/100gas. Why it wasn't available in the campiagn? either laziness of they couldnt find a cool utility to give it (would it have been a taldarim option since auir goes pheonix?)

I kinda wish the Scout (and Observer. Lurkers must be experienced) were just thrown into the campaign at various points even if they didn't get splits, sort of like the Aberration and Infestor. Scout would've been pretty decent on Sky Shield, and just throw Observers on the Sentry mission. Protoss do like their cloaked units, after all.

Also, I have no proof for this obviously, but I think the Khaydarin Monolith defensive tower is a modified Bile Launcher, of all things. They have a similar silhouette and overall architecture, and even function as of Allied Commanders. Wouldn't surprise me; it's not that uncommon, after all, in game design to remodel stuff like that.

Still, even if it's a coincidence, it is a neat one.

khaydarin bile monolith.png

EDIT:

Was looking around the co-op dependency. Found a mercenary vulture model, as well as the old warp ray, and a spore colony to accompany the sunken colony that appears in a couple campaign missions.
    merc vulture auir void ray.png
    zerg stuff.jpg

The Merc Vulture animations are really cool, BTW. Just replace the rider and portrait with Jim and boom, proper over-the-top hero model, as is the Blizzard tradition.

EDIT II: The Scouring Continues:

Replicant is, aside from some missing and poorly formatted tooltips, more fully functional than any version of the unit we ever got to see. Can replicate any ground unit, but only temporarily, and becomes a replicant again if the timer ends or the unit dies. HERC is in, armed with a shotgun instead of a melee drill, but its grapple is either missing or needs to be researched separately to use. Also, an unused Aiur-faction Mothership exists with different abilities from either the Tal'darim or multiplayer version. It's a timed unit, so was probably a dummied out Spear of Adun or commander summon. The timer is literally too short for me to tinker around with the unit (though it does deal constant damage to enemy units beneath it -- return of the PLANET CRACKER!), so I'll disable that timed-life thing when I go hunting again.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 12-14-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Separate topic, separate post:

I have an idea for a unit for the aforementioned thing, but I'm thinking it might be too imbalanced even for a campaign:

It's a Nerazim unit, basically an anti-ground-only scout variant. It can cloak, but it requires energy. 50 energy for 15 seconds of cloaking, on a 20 second cooldown. It has a decent single-target anti-ground attack, and can attack on the move. Stats obviously not worked on, still in the design stage of this all. Anything wrong with this when it comes to balancing?

The problem I'm seeing is being cloaked and being able to fire on the move, but I think making it so it cannot be constantly cloaked might mitigate that a bit. Obviously we can't know for sure until it's tested, but if the idea seems fundamentally overpowered, I can redesign it.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 12-15-2015 at 04:59 AM.

It just hit me - Talandar is the original prototype for the Immortals. He has the same basic shape as them, his blades deal extra damage versus armored, he was found at an old Conclave research facility that was experimenting on advanced robotics, and his special ability restores his shields.

I ARE A PROPHET! I've predicted three major aspects of SC2 correct, more or less.

June 2007 - I predicted the Protoss campaign would give you new tech as you conducted diplomacy among tribes.

Hidden Content:
    July 18th 2010 - I predicted Raynor would broadcast information of Mengsk's actions on Tarsonis to discredit him and incite rebellion.

Hidden Content:
    June 16th 2010 I predicted the Voice in the Darkness was the commanding force behind the Hybrids. I'm calling it half-right.

It just hit me - Talandar is the original prototype for the Immortals.
    EDIT Nevermind, misread your post. Maybe!
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Battle.net forums drinking game - every time someone says "l2p" or "<gameplay element> is fine, you just don't understand how to use/counter it," take a shot. See if you can make it a full page without drinking yourself to unconsciousness.

In SC2-related stuff, the presence of original assets in Co-op now (new portrait for Sgt. Hammer, non-generic voice acting, new buildings) gives me hope for classic SC1 commanders, because it shows a willingness to design new assets.

Hidden Content:

Hidden Content: