Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Welp, the lore is ruined. I quit StarCraft.
    Have you heard of this thing called Enumerate?
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Yeah, it says so on the description of the Pylon: "Carved from the sacred Khaydarin crystals found only on the Protoss Homeworld...".

On the other hand, in the Protoss History it also says: "The Crystals, left behind by the Xel'Naga..."

Taken together, one can surmise that Khaydarin is not and cannot be exclusive to Aiur as the Pylon description suggests. It must mean that Khaydarin maybe wherever the Xel'Naga may have left them in their travels and that it maybe rare because it seemingly isn't found easily.
    Tell that to the DT Saga books, where you can easily fund hundreds of them on Nemeka.

Protoss must be able to produce khaydarin crystals considering how much tech is based on them.

Protoss must be able to produce khaydarin crystals considering how much tech is based on them.
    Well, I think according to Stettman's journals, the khaydarin samples he got grew in their chamber.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolanstar View Post
    This was why people had criticized Golden's work on the DT Saga books because it made the protoss like space leprechauns due to their over-reliance on the crystals

This was why people had criticized Golden's work on the DT Saga books because it made the protoss like space leprechauns due to their over-reliance on the crystals
    Need a power source? Khaydarin! Capacitor? Khaydarin? Memory storage device, warp drive, communications equipment, computer interface, teleportation? Khaydarin!

Constipated? Khaydarin!
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Tell that to the DT Saga books, where you can easily fund hundreds of them on Nemeka.
    Sure, that's a retcon of that Pylon description in the manual but that doesn't mean it's still generally rare to find out in the universe.

It can apparently grow wherever it's found but it's still a resource in limited supply found only on select planets (ones most likely visited by Xel'naga since it seemingly comes from them).
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    The overarching story is ruined and beyond repair. It must be destroyed and rebooted.

However, there's definitely fertile ground for smaller, more focused stories if the feel can be made right. StarCraft was better before everything was reduced to an overarching plot anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolanstar View Post
    I'm with Eco on this, its one of the reasons I found NCO to okay was because it was on the smaller scale that denotes itself better then the overarching continuous mess that is the main trilogy. Smaller short stories tend to be actually good, whereas longer novels get bogged down. Hopefully the artists does their research though...
    I cannot agree more. I always liked Starcraft when it was focusing on the people stuck in the middle of a galactic war and their responses to it, their hopes and dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    That's a non-sequitur. They can't work together and agree not to kill each other (for mutual benefit) just because they're not being controlled by a higher consciousness? Why?

No, it just means the feral brood can't expand. Or that they're less efficient.
    You have been consistently misunderstanding my statements. I do not know if I was saying it the wrong way, not providing enough citations or what. I do not have the time right now to respond to all of your responses. Most of it is irrelevant trivia anyway. My complaint was directed at feral zerg and I will limit myself to that.

Feral zerg are extremely violent, constantly blood crazed and cannot distinguish friend from foe. The ones with higher intelligence, if they do not loose their minds, still act without awareness of the problems inherent to being feral and cannot coordinate with others. Their hive clusters should not last very long before killing each other, and they certainly could not agree to work together. The only comparison in canon are primal zerg who do not coordinate between different packs, and ferals are supposedly far less competent than primals. If a feral brood was not killing each other and able to coordinate even on a very simple level, then that would imply they were harboring a new mini-overmind/cerebrate/primal/whatever that was managing them.
    I think Starcraft needs rebooting. See "Enumerate" for details (links: timeline, full document, original forum thread).

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

You’re drawing weird conclusions based on fanon. Overlords can reassert control of feral troops. There is no proof the hive is “working together” when they’re feral, as opposed to merely not killing each other. There is no proof there’s a mini Overmind just because they don’t kill each other. There is no proof they’re all close enough to each other to all kill themselves off. There’s also no proof there’s not some biological directive for them to not kill anything from their hive or that they don’t naturally revert to forming packs when feral.

If you’re going to claim the only option is that they have to kill each other then you’ve got a lot of evidence to go hunt down.

Somewhat related random thought: If the Protoss have been researching XN tech for hundreds of years and are probably the most advanced living civ in the universe, why is XN tech still a mystery to them? Pretty much everything should be solved. They should be able to make their own Khaydarin crystals since the XN can. At least, that is before SC2 retconed the XN into gods. Maybe that was a good retcon after all because otherwise it would be hard to explain the tech disparity. It's easier to just say that XN intrinsically have an extra set of powers that is impossible to acquire with technology.