Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Assuming the invasion of Shakuras was not led by Kerri or rogue cerebrates, this is the only possible indication we have of such programming. Obviously it's all fanon and speculation but to Rag's defense, there's at least this.
    Not really. The Zerg invasion of Shakuras was clearly led by rogue cerebrates - it's the whole reason Kerrigan is even there in the first place. She's vying for control over the Zerg with the cerebrates and is manipulating the Protoss into helping her achieve that end.

It's already OP enough that despite losing the Overmind the Zerg aren't actually all feral (when they should be) and still have the wherewithal to take over Shakuras without them also having this supposed instilled back-up Overmind programming. Being able to resurrect the Overmind on top of all that just "takes the cake", too. I mean really, if we are to also believe that the Overmind didn't really die because its programming was still inherent in the Zerg, what narrative purpose or consequence was achieved by having the Overmind die in the first place?

This is partly (the other part is my cynicism) why I'm critical now of even my preference of wanting the Overmind to come back in future iterations. It was barely tolerable the first time in BW since it already potentially devalued the meaning of Tassadar's sacrifice and turned the Zerg race into a plot device, but to consider also that the Overmind didn't need to die/that its death was superfluous at the end of Sc1 because the Zerg had innate Overmind programming just makes one suspect that anything that ever happens from now on is pointless/meaningless. I got that feeling after experiencing Sc2 and I would like it to not invade what appreciation I still have for BW, thanks very much.

Random thought: what exactly is supposed to be the difference between a hybrid and a xel naga?
    The arbitrary distinction that the former is considered "bad" and the latter being "good"?

If the Tal'Darim use Amon's realm to make their weapons, shouldn't they all be useless after LotV?
    Why? Only Amon died, not his realm. Besides, his realm is the Void is it not? If that ended with his death, there'd be no Void powers in general as well...

Hmmm, following on from this train of random thought, I wonder what would Protoss be like if they lost access to psionics.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Why? Only Amon died, not his realm. Besides, his realm is the Void is it not? If that ended with his death, there'd be no Void powers in general as well...
    Apparently, the reason why they have red weapons instead of green is because their weapons specifically uses Amon's dimension in the void or something. That and because Samwise thinks we're all retards that need to clearly see that they are bad guys

Hmmm, following on from this train of random thought, I wonder what would Protoss be like if they lost access to psionics.
    Suddenly or from the start? Psionics are superfluous to their power scale when you think of all the other technology they have.

It's already OP enough that despite losing the Overmind the Zerg aren't actually all feral (when they should be)
    This makes me think of something: After Zasz dies, his brood goes "feral" (but is still 100% organized) and Kerrigan/other cerebrates must destroy it. Presumably, they must destroy it because they can't take control of it. Why is it different when the overmind dies?

I've always wondered about that.

Though they use the Void, the Dark Templar have only used it sparingly and obliquely. Is there some innate danger in the Void's use? Or has it always been Amon's influence that the Dark Templar have had to avoid? Have the Dark Templar been drawing on those few uncorrupted pockets within the Void to avoid Amon's gaze, while the Tal'Darim pull upon those areas under his sway? Though Amon is dead, it's likely that the entirety of the Void hasn't yet been cleansed of his corruption, as he has spent many millenia manipulating it from within, constructing Corruption Towers to broaden his sway.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

This makes me think of something: After Zasz dies, his brood goes "feral" (but is still 100% organized) and Kerrigan/other cerebrates must destroy it. Presumably, they must destroy it because they can't take control of it. Why is it different when the overmind dies?
    It's possible it depends on the strength of the Cerebrate. After all, broods don't have the same number of zerg in them, so perhaps a stronger Cerebrate could take control of the broods if another Cerebrate dies. In Zasz's case, it's possible that as it was the 1st time something like this has happened, they chose just to kill the whole brood.

Apparently, the reason why they have red weapons instead of green is because their weapons specifically uses Amon's dimension in the void or something. That and because Samwise thinks we're all retards that need to clearly see that they are bad guys
    Shameless Star Wars reference is what it is, tsk, tsk. Anyways, until Sc2 I never knew blade colour was ever meant to represent anything really.

Suddenly or from the start? Psionics are superfluous to their power scale when you think of all the other technology they have.
    Suddenly. They wouldn't be the Protoss we recognise them as if we were to consider them not having psionics from the start.

I suppose they have devised tech that can simulate their psionic powers but I would be curious what impact losing their psionic ability would have on them in all aspects. The loss of Khala LotV was supposed to be akin to that but given that there were no real benefits of the Khala anyway, the impact of its loss doesn't feel resonant or that meaningful. Afterall, Rohana's character is the only who is "pro" Khala but she does nothing really to espouse/demonstrate the benefits of it (even in a general sense) beyond providing lip-service to it and as plot device to read Amon's intent. Her "bigoted traditionalist" archetype of a character didn't help things either. Also, losing the Khala somehow doesn't prevent them from still using psi-powers because they can use the Void instead.

If the Protoss lost their actual psionic capability though, that would definitely be a gamechanger for their society I'd imagine. Course, that'd probably give the writers more reason to make them into funny looking Terrans...

Do you mean "why" as in why there appears to be no effect of the Overmind's death in BW? If so, that's probably due to a problem with the Zerg being written as OP in BW.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Though they use the Void, the Dark Templar have only used it sparingly and obliquely. Is there some innate danger in the Void's use? Or has it always been Amon's influence that the Dark Templar have had to avoid? Have the Dark Templar been drawing on those few uncorrupted pockets within the Void to avoid Amon's gaze, while the Tal'Darim pull upon those areas under his sway? Though Amon is dead, it's likely that the entirety of the Void hasn't yet been cleansed of his corruption, as he has spent many millenia manipulating it from within, constructing Corruption Towers to broaden his sway.
    Maybe "the Void" is distinctly a different thing from "Amon's Void"? Kinda like how "the Khala" is many separate and different things but is often synonymous lumped as one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Maybe "the Void" is distinctly a different thing from "Amon's Void"? Kinda like how "the Khala" is many separate and different things but is often synonymous lumped as one thing.
    This is why I felt what Ouros was saying was largely BS. If the Void was an extension of Amon's will and all of the Void bent to him, he should have been able to control anyone who used Void energies, including the Nerazim and Tal'darim. Killing Amon is one thing, his influence is another. It's just that without him, if you're touched by that corruption, you won't do what he wants you to do.

So did Amon control the Swarm considering the Overmind and the celebrates use the Void? And if Amon couldn't control Dark Templar, then why were they always so cautious of using the Void to its fullest?

So did Amon control the Swarm considering the Overmind and the celebrates use the Void? And if Amon couldn't control Dark Templar, then why were they always so cautious of using the Void to its fullest?
    For the 1st Q, that's probably the case. For the 2nd, I don't think it really matters WHICH part of the Void you use. Void energy is void energy, corrupted or not. Hence why the Nerazim could kill Cerebrates and the Overmind just fine.

Nah, I wouldn't think so. If Amon controls things through the use of the Void, that would make the Khala potentially/partially void based too since Amon can control Protoss through that. Also, if controlling Zerg generally requires using Void energy, that would mean Kerrigan had been using Void energy to control the Zerg at all times and would've been susceptible to Amon even despite being "free" in Sc2.

The DTs are probably cautious of using the Void at the fullest because it requires discipline to use that energy in a controlled manner as it is already. If they were to be "unleashed" in its use, the effects could be unpredictable and uncontrollable.

If they were to be "unleashed" in its use, the effects could be unpredictable and uncontrollable.
    *points to Tal'Darim*

Although perhaps Terrazine somehow helps Tal'Darim focus their void energies more clearly. I also have a pet theory that most Tal'Darim are young; older members are either killed by attrition and backstabbing, or burn out from excessive Void use, as the DTs fear.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.