Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Default Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    The storytelling has gotten pretty stagnant. Starcraft is ripe for explorations of politics, religion and war, but instead we get endless stories about Kerry, Raynor and space Satan.
    People on the site wanted redemption, hence why the lack of activity after HotS release

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    People on the site wanted redemption, hence why the lack of activity after HotS release
    What I mean is, there is more to Starcraft than the twelve or so main characters in the games. There are very few stories which explore the setting outside of those characters.

The SC2 lore is still ridiculous. You cannot tell a great story with such a shoddy foundation. Something like Enumerate, linked in my signature, is a lot better.

Rag, do you have any opinion on Enumerate?
    I think Starcraft needs rebooting. See "Enumerate" for details (links: timeline, full document, original forum thread).

What I mean is, there is more to Starcraft than the twelve or so main characters in the games. There are very few stories which explore the setting outside of those characters.

The SC2 lore is still ridiculous. You cannot tell a great story with such a shoddy foundation. Something like Enumerate, linked in my signature, is a lot better.

Rag, do you have any opinion on Enumerate?
    For your 1st part, I agree, which was why if nothing else, I felt the Protoss mini campaign in WoL was necessary. At the very least it showed that people other than Raynor actually did something instead of sitting on their lazy bottoms.

I however never looked into Enumerate (not all of us showed that kind of interest). As for what you said on the SC2 lore, sure there's its share of flaws, but not everyone is a die hard SC fan. You're acting like if people like yourself continue to criticize that the whole trilogy was a total failure long enough, Blizzard will ultimately give in and remake the trilogy.

Now yes, I admit that's not entirely out of the question....

Am I the only one with an obsession with obscure cancelled units lore implications and other weird stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Nolanstar View Post
    Am I the only one with an obsession with obscure cancelled units lore implications and other weird stuff?
    I love cut content, but I've never thought of the lore implications. I always wonder what the Spore Beast would've done if it were added. I've had various ideas for what I'd do with a unit called "Spore Beast" for years:

1. Zerg version of Tempest --- very fragile, but exceptionally long range attack flyer.
    2. Can create temporary line of sight blockers with spores.

The current project I'm working on has it as such: "The Spore Beast can use Blinding Cloud to reduce the vision in an area to 0. Spore Dispersion reduces damage to a target unit by 90%. Fungal Snare brings a flying unit down to ground level, allowing it to be attacked by ground units. Consume Structure deals 200 damage to a targeted friendly building (except Creep Tumor) over 14 seconds, granting the Spore Beast 50 energy."

Basically the obligatory hive-tech spellcaster for one of my factions.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 05-23-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolanstar View Post
    Which specific cancelled units are you referring to?

I always found the development process fascinating too. I looked through archives of past Blizzard websites and was astonished by how much changed or was discarded.

I decided to include forgotten characters like Andinunn and Oong in my fanfiction, if only to provide a more realistic scale of the setting.

I always found the development process fascinating too. I looked through archives of past Blizzard websites and was astonished by how much changed or was discarded.

I decided to include forgotten characters like Andinunn and Oong in my fanfiction, if only to provide a more realistic scale of the setting.
    And what were those characters like?

Does anyone know the point at which it was established that assimilating protoss is impossible? I don't recall it being mentioned in Brood War-era lore materials, or prior, but I could be misremembering.
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sheliek View Post
    Does anyone know the point at which it was established that assimilating protoss is impossible? I don't recall it being mentioned in Brood War-era lore materials, or prior, but I could be misremembering.
    The Creep short story in Frontline. It said assimilating Protoss was impossible normally due to the Khala. And then a qna later on told us the void did the same thing.