Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alarak StarCraft 2 BlizzCon poster

Default Alarak StarCraft 2 BlizzCon poster

http://gear.blizzard.com/index.php/d...ter-bzc15.html

I didn't read the short story but know he's in it, so judging by his appearance he's Tal'darim?

Default Re: Alarak StarCraft 2 BlizzCon poster

Quote Originally Posted by NikoMyCousin View Post

http://gear.blizzard.com/index.php/d...ter-bzc15.html

I didn't read the short story but know he's in it, so judging by his appearance he's Tal'darim?
    Yeah. Read the short story Ascension. You'll see he's one of the Tal'darim warriors on Slayn, part of the Amon branch.

So I'm pretty sure that the voice actor for Alarak is John De Lancie, or Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation!

/squee

Best character in SC2.

gave me good laughs

his brutality was most welcome in this piss poor "saga"

Maybe he's a good character, but he's ugly as mess. Them Warcraft-style Protoss just don't do it for me.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Maybe he's a good character, but he's ugly as mess. Them Warcraft-style Protoss just don't do it for me.
    Tell that to Blizzard who siphoned elements from the WC universe before WoL was even out.

Alarak wasn't a very interesting character in his own right, but given the black hole of inanity that was the Tal'darim's previous characterisation, he's a massive step up. And giving them a design and colour scheme was also a big help. If we'd had that from the start instead of 'Executor Nyon' I might have been slightly more interested in the Tal'darim. Not much though - their colour scheme is about as uninspired as I could have imagined, and the Chain of Ascension is a concept that I find pretty mediocre even in Dungeons-and-Dragonsy settings like with Erikson's Seguleh where having these high-leveled fighters running around is at least expected.

And the Tal'darim were completely unnecessary to the plot.

And just because I was willing to accept Zeratul popping up on the Hyperion doesn't mean I can accept Alarak's appearance on the Spear of Adun, nor his casual destruction of his stasis cage.

Oh, and when did Blizzard completely stop caring about faction colours? Bad enough that I couldn't tell possessed Khalai apart from the Tal'darim when they were opposing us, but then they just gave Moebius Corps the red, and that meant that the Terran Dominion, one of the most heavily established faction colours after Kerrigan's purple Zerg, had to go around in teal.
    Last edited by FanaticTemplar; 11-12-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

Considering the seriousness of SC2 I'd say Alarak was pretty good. He was much of a better dark side of Artanis than Tosh ever was for Raynor. He is also a grey face of the Tal'darim. He steps not a single mm into a more complex character than any "Disney-like" character, though.

If someone had to be a better character, it would be Zeratul. Moreover, it was brief.

FT, I disagree. The Tal'darim are essential to the plot. It is not emphasized enough; but before the first hybrids sprung out Amon/Narud needed some serious allies. The final arc they participated on in LotV was solid, unlike the WoL and HotS "Protoss faction" roles.

Lol factions colors were a mess even in BW. I like that at least decals make sense in SC2.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    FT, I disagree. The Tal'darim are essential to the plot. It is not emphasized enough; but before the first hybrids sprung out Amon/Narud needed some serious allies.
    I'd say Amon didn't need the Tal'darim at all. All of the Hybrid production and research was conducted by Arcturus Mengsk's Dominion and, later, the Moebius Corps. Incidentally, remember how Moebius' team in The Dig was wiped out by the Tal'darim? Some things just get weirder in retrospect.

The final arc they participated on in LotV was solid, unlike the WoL and HotS "Protoss faction" roles.
    It was acceptable and a huge step up from their appearances in the earlier games, but nothing that justified their existence.

Lol factions colors were a mess even in BW. I like that at least decals make sense in SC2.
    Colours were inconsistent in Brood War, but in the final mission of Legacy of the Void I lost precious seconds trying to get my Void Rays to fire on the Tal'darim Mothership because I thought it was a Golden Armada Mothership. I can't waste a dozen Void Rays' worth of damage for multiple seconds on Brutal, that bit of terrible game design cost me that game. Even if you don't care about keeping them aspected for lore, team colours' primary role in game design is telling friend from foe.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

"Oh, and when did Blizzard completely stop caring about faction colours?"

When they decided to make all the "good guys" blue and the "bad guys" red

including Kerrigan going from orange to an edited "violet" that makes her look blue.