Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Purifier Origins

Default Purifier Origins

I noticed no real discussion about the Purifiers. I haven't seen any media concerning them, aside from that one short story centering around the Colossi. Where are they from, why were they created, and why were they exiled or sealed away? Why wait until just now to release they from Cybros? Were they even really sealed? Are they the result of some Von Neumann probe that went rogue and created its own artificial nation? Why do they have an equivalent to the Adept?

Any leaks, info or speculation?

And Demo Squid, Economist? Don't even think about it.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Purifier Origins

[insert reminders of complex macroeconomic predictions that turned out to be true years in advanced.]

[insert bickering about Republicans being evil because of meaningless, simple-minded, petty accusations like being anti-vaccinations and Jesus while arguing bankrupting the economy is the way to go.]

[blah blah blah mean bad shark eating all the leech's food wahwahhwaahahhhwahahh wait til the end of all things and you'll see how superfuckingawesome I'm is]

Okay, now onto the topic:

The Purifiers came out of no where and many things will be retconed for their sake. For once, I might be okay with that, but who cares. The best information I saw was in the panel that showed them. I don't know if its answers your questions but there's not really much known about them, given, you know, they came from no where.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I get how the Tal'Darim and Cy-Bros are supposed to bolster the numbers of the Protoss, reflecting the power boost that Kerrigan garnered from Zerus (both personally and for the Swarm). The Tal'Darim's origins were heavily hinted at by the mere existence of the caverns explored by Zeratul, and were introduced by the Dark Templar saga. I even like the idea of rogue Protoss AI, something I've been wanting since before the release of WoL. Even so... they seem a little out of left field, don't they?
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Probably because they are. But, if they're going to retcon, let me be something like this. This expands the universe and justifies the changes, pigeon-holing a love story does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    And Demo Squid, Economist? Don't even think about it.
    Its OK, Eco just confirmed I already accomplished my mission.

At this point, I'm assuming it's the same justification and reasoning for why the Primal Zerg came about when they did. Best not to think too much about it, I reckon.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

^--agreed

That being said, I've wanted the protoss to create robotic drones to do their dirty work for a long time now.

They need to bring back the Reaver as a subrace of Robots with their own history and social structure. Mostly kidding, but, at this point, anything of substance is better than what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    ^--agreed

That being said, I've wanted the protoss to create robotic drones to do their dirty work for a long time now.
    They've been doing just that since back in the SC1 days like with Reavers. It's likely the purifiers were an early experiment, but went haywire and wouldn't obey the Protoss commands, so they discarded them out in deep space, not realizing they as a race could survive.

I dunno...the AI route seems like a cliche way to go. Granted, the gameplay implications look fun, but sentient machines is kind of a turn-off for me. Protoss culture, extremely underdeveloped for this point in the franchise, is bound to be way more complex than robots with brains.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.