Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: StarCraft Galaxy Map

Zoar's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: StarCraft Galaxy Map

The Overmind learned of the rough location of Protoss space and started slowly moving the Swarm towards that region of the galaxy.

"The Xel'naga had kept a detailed genetic record of each race, giving the Overmind a clear understanding of their strengths and weaknesses. Most importantly, the Overmind learned of an exceedingly powerful race that lived nearth the galaxy's fringe known only as the Protoss. The Overmind knew then that the Protoss and the Zerg would eventually be caught in an inevitable, apocalyptic conflict."

The Determinant

"The Zerg left the lifeless, burning world of Zerus and laid waste to every planet they found along their path towards the Protoss Homeworld. As they progressed slowly through the trackless dark between the stars, the Zerg assimilated only the strongest of the races that they came across."

I know Terra is Earth, and Luna and Sol and all those, don't worry.
    Lol, it's cool, but isn't it funny how backwards Starcraft vocabulary can be? I guess "Terrans" just sounds cool or something.

Uh...as far as the map goes, are we sure we have all that much information on it? Planets in Starcraft feel like they appear more or less out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Uh...as far as the map goes, are we sure we have all that much information on it? Planets in Starcraft feel like they appear more or less out of nowhere.
    Well, the only planet I know that is ever talked about with relation to where it's at it in the galaxy is Zerus. Near the galactic core.

Beyond that, as you can see, I can't exactly place planets in the K-sector on the map yet.

But we do know info enough to extrapolate possible areas where the K-Sector itself is. From there, we can extrapolate where Gantris VI is.

We know the K-Sector is 60,000 light years from Earth going by the manual.

We know the K-sector is also located on the galactic "fringe"/"rim."

So, any planet that is in the K-Sector needs to be somewhere near those two criteria. The Starcraft 2 site lists Char, Korhal, Aiur, Tarsonis, Moria, and Umoja, all major political planets, as Koprulu Sector Systems.

The K-Sector also includes planets like Phaeton. Which is stated to be "a considerable distance from the centers of protoss and terran civilization."

So, the Sector itself includes not only the political territory of the Terrans, Protoss, and Zerg, but also plenty of unclaimed planets as well.

Which is fine.

Unlike Star Trek, which has the Federation being 8000 light years across with 150 members and thousands of planets, Starcraft could always take the Battletech approach. A smaller territory with many planets colonized.

A single pixel on this map is about ~32 light years. The map is too small for me to include the UED system of Tau Ceti.

So a small circle on this map that is only 15.6 pixels large could possibly contain 260,000 star systems.

If we go for a circle that is about 312 pixels, which is roughly the size of the circle I have for the K-Sector, you have a space possibly containing around 600 million star systems.

Sure, it does matter which part of the galaxy you are in. The space around Sol will be denser since its in the Orion Spur, and the K-Sector should have less stars since it is near the galactic rim, but this is just a rough example.

So, I'm hoping that my circles have at least captured the majority of where the star systems could be.

Given how close Shakuras and Korhal are in the Celestial Array, that they can be displayed in a close-up of the galaxy, I'm assuming the territory of each power are pretty close to each other.

As for Gantris VI, we know the trip to get to the K-Sector was 28 years long.

The trip to Gantris VI was going to be a 1 year trip.

60,000 / 28 = 2142.857 light years.

So, Gantris is just a star system "pointing towards" the K-Sector from earth 2142.857 light years out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoar View Post
    The Overmind learned of the rough location of Protoss space and started slowly moving the Swarm towards that region of the galaxy.
    The manual only states "near the galaxy's fringe" which could've been anywhere (to the Overmind) really, so my question is still valid. I could've added an extra option of whether the Zerg travelled by crossing "over" spiral arms rather than "through" them but I didn't think it'd be likely since there'd be nothing in between for the Zerg to eat, refuel or assimilate and this isn't mentioning the vast distances (of which there is nothing) between those spiral arms.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I think I hit the jackpot!

I may have discovered exactly where the Koprulu Sector is in the galaxy!

The Solar System displayed is in Zerg Space, and the galaxy is shown in the lower right hand corner.

I may be able to track down something more exact by the positioning of the arms, even if it is a bit fuzzy.

Also:

I just noticed you can see almost the entirety of the Milky Way from Moria...

Kind of like that scene at the end of Empire Strike's Back.
    Last edited by Shadow Archon; 05-29-2015 at 10:53 PM.

The Solar System is actually near the galactic fringe, but I couldn't locate it on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    Really interesting work. It seems funny given Zerus being much closer to Earth than to the Koprulu sector that, when the Overmind's deep space probes were looking for a psionic-capable species to take on the Protoss, they would find and expand towards the terrans before us humans. But I guess who knows how their psychic wormhole travel technology, err, methods work. Maybe for gravitational reasons it takes less energy to open up holes towards the arms, so the overmind could more widely disseminate probes in further regions or something. idk
    No, it makes sense. The Overmind absorbed numerous xel'naga and learned the direction of Aiur. The probes would have been sent in Aiur's direction, and so encountered terrans. They wouldn't have been sent in Earth's direction.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    The Solar System is actually near the galactic fringe, but I couldn't locate it on the map.
    By capital letters, do you mean Earth's Sol system?

Or do you mean the Zerg one?

Because, going by this little examination here, I think the map should be updated to this.

I may need to change the yellow circle more into a shape that covers more of the Spiral Arm though.

I think the system is a bit farther away from the arm's end.
    Last edited by Shadow Archon; 06-01-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Earth's solar system is near one galactic "edge". Zerus, by contrast, is in the middle. The K-Sector, and Aiur, are at another edge, supposedly on the other side of the galaxy from Earth.
    Last edited by Kimera757; 06-02-2015 at 09:41 PM.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    Earth's solar system is near one galactic "edge". Zerus, by contrast, is in the middle. The K-Sector, and Aiur, are at another edge, supposedly on the other side of the galaxy from Earth.
    Earth's in the Orion Spur.

If you look on the map up there (click it for a gigantic version) it's at the point where all the lines intersect at the middle-bottom of the map.