Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: What Are You Watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    My opinion is very hard to state clearly.

Happy =/= a good spirit. For example, Hans Christen Anderson's version of the Little Mermaid wasn't a happy story, but it was based on good ideas, with an open protagonist who didn't think of herself as the greatest thing ever. Basically, I hate slick protagonists, not necessarily bad ones. Like Econ said, I read pretty awful things, particularly concerning communism. When someone reads about stuff like like, even when they know it'll only turn out bad in the end (like a Mao biography -- it's not as if Mao's going to be defeated before he gets into power), they learn something that will help them become better people, and less liable to be tricked by political manipulators.

Huh....let me put it this way. Any given fiction realm is the manipulated world of the person who wrote it. It was created by their perspectives and knowledge. By getting attached to a piece of fiction, one exposes oneself to the spirit of its author. In many modern shows, I don't sense good things from the spirit of the writer. Many times I get the sense that these are sheltered types, ones that don't read books and yet still want to influence others. Basically, I want a show with a good spirit -- a show written by a writer with a good spirit, someone who is either well-learned or just out there to tell a story, without being manipulative.
    How are tv show writers more manipulative than other writers? What the hell is "good spirit"?
    Last edited by Gradius; 03-04-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Like Econ said, I read pretty awful things, particularly concerning communism. When someone reads about stuff like like, even when they know it'll only turn out bad in the end (like a Mao biography -- it's not as if Mao's going to be defeated before he gets into power), they learn something that will help them become better people, and less liable to be tricked by political manipulators.
    Just from this, I get the sense you might be best off with historical dramas, not fiction. In which case I recommend Marco Polo, Spartacus, Rome, The Borgias, and The Tudors.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    In which case I recommend Marco Polo, Spartacus, Rome, The Borgias, and The Tudors.
    Can confirm. All good shows.

Something tells me that Nissa might like The Wire, if she hasn't seen it already. It's one of those rare shows that lacks any obvious authorial intent/manipulation and doesn't treat it's audience like a chump.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Pretty sure what she doesn't like, that show has it in spades. It does hinge around organized crime afterall. Terrific show. One of the best. But it has a "bad spirit" if you will. Whether it is "manipulative", I have no idea. But it's definitely got the latter.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-04-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I thought Nissa meant "good spirit" in the sense that the writer has to be "well-learned" and out to write a story which is not an obvious vehicle for the author showing off.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

See, this is why my opinion is so hard to explain. It's really more of an intuitive choice than anything else. That, and I admit that I've seen so much crap on TV that I'm a bit burnt out on trying anything new.

I will say, I love Cutthroat Kitchen. That show is funny.

I will say, I love Cutthroat Kitchen. That show is funny.

Its people like you who made the Kardashians famous. I hope you're proud.

....I like a cooking show, so I'm automatically a supporter of a "celebrity" family like the Kardashians? Wow, you're really judgemental. Econ, I need you to be a bro and insult Demo for me. Extra wit, please.

I don't watch celebrity related nonsense, or any of that "real housewives" or any such thing. I like cooking because it's fun. Cooking =/= celebrities. Are you going to say I'm responsible for World War III because I watch internet let's plays? It's about as logical.

Eating is fun. Cooking is not, nor has it ever been, fun. Cooking is the antithesis of fun.