Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching?

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default What Are You Watching?

Scrolling through the forum index, I realized there just weren't enough 'What Are You Doing' topics. So here's another one.

House of Cards Season 3 just came out. Going to start watching it now. One of my favorites of the moment, up there with Breaking Bad. Anyone have any thoughts?

On a side note, I didn't have to edit this post to get rid of the double preview bug. YEEEEEEEESSSSSS!

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Default Re: What Are You Watching?

I'm currently catching up on Broadchurch series 2, and eagerly awaiting the return of Agents Of Shield tomorrow.

Unlike Eco, however, I'm still suffering from the double-posting glitch.

Nothing, really. I hate modern television. I'm planning on watching Wayne's World on Netflix, though.

Please tell me you've at least seen Breaking Bad, House of Cards, or The Walking Dead. If not, what are you doing with your life.

Damn Updated bug is back. Was nice for one post though.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-03-2015 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Please tell me you've at least seen Breaking Bad, House of Cards, or The Walking Dead. If not, what are you doing with your life.

Damn Updated bug is back. Was nice for one post though.
    No, no, and no way. While I like the fanbase of Walking Dead, I don't enjoy the idea of getting attached to characters doomed to be killed. That, and I get the impression that it's going to turn out like Lost, with a mystical, unsatisfying, confusing end.

Neither of those first two shows sounds even slightly appealing. My sister tried to get me into Dexter, but it sucked, and it turns out that the only character I liked (the black guy who hates Dexter) dies later on. No reason to watch that.

I just want to watch something with a good spirit. That is, something that's based on some form of goodness, rather than trying to be edgy or "cooler than thou."

There are so many shows I'm trying to keep track of, it's not funny. I'm watching some slightly older series like The Newsroom and Nikita now but will eventually move to House of Cards, Justified and The Americans. It never ends...

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    That, and I get the impression that it's going to turn out like Lost, with a mystical, unsatisfying, confusing end.
    Unlike Lost, WD is quite consistent in it's crapsackian world not changing. I highly doubt they'll start introducing wacky sci-fi themes in there like Lost did.

Neither of those first two shows sounds even slightly appealing. My sister tried to get me into Dexter, but it sucked, and it turns out that the only character I liked (the black guy who hates Dexter) dies later on. No reason to watch that.
    I take it you don't like reprehensible protagonists? Whilst Dexter and Frank Underwood (House of Cards) are meant to be reprehensible from the outset, Walter White (Breaking Bad) only becomes this after a certain time and the beauty of it is that people will often give you different answers as to when Walter White steps over that "line". If you like morality plays, Breaking Bad is a great modern-day one.

I just want to watch something with a good spirit. That is, something that's based on some form of goodness, rather than trying to be edgy or "cooler than thou."
    I'd be very interested to know what you think is an example of this.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

No, no, and no way. While I like the fanbase of Walking Dead, I don't enjoy the idea of getting attached to characters doomed to be killed. That, and I get the impression that it's going to turn out like Lost, with a mystical, unsatisfying, confusing end.

LOL.

Unfortunately, you're only going find the "happy" shows you want on channels whose main viewership still wears diapers.

I honestly can't think of any upbeat adult shows with happy endings. Stories need some kind of conflict, no matter how minute. If you want something mostly upbeat with happy endings, you should probably just watch reruns of The Littlest Hobo.
    Last edited by DemolitionSquid; 03-04-2015 at 01:26 AM.

To each their own I guess. What you describe would be hellishly dull for me.

Also, given your choice of reading material, it's a bit ironic, to be honest. Absolutely none of my business but I hope your reasons are your own and nothing else. No offense intended.

Neither of those first two shows sounds even slightly appealing.
    I'm surprised you aren't interested in House of Cards given your political views and interest in government. It's basically a libertarian/conspiracy theorist fantasy drama. It's brilliant even if for the real-world subject matter which has people now seriously discussing corruption in government. Why it takes a fictional TV show to do this, I don't know.

That, and I get the impression that it's going to turn out like Lost, with a mystical, unsatisfying, confusing end.
    Given how the show hasn't had anything mystical or confusing so far and it has followed the comics pretty well (which were not mystical or confusing at all), this is probably the least likely show to fall for that. Either way though, it's a damn good show even if it does go down hill at some point in the future, which the vast majority of shows do.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-04-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I honestly can't think of any upbeat adult shows with happy endings. Stories need some kind of conflict, no matter how minute. If you want something mostly upbeat with happy endings, you should probably just watch reruns of The Littlest Hobo.
    My opinion is very hard to state clearly.

Happy =/= a good spirit. For example, Hans Christen Anderson's version of the Little Mermaid wasn't a happy story, but it was based on good ideas, with an open protagonist who didn't think of herself as the greatest thing ever. Basically, I hate slick protagonists, not necessarily bad ones. Like Econ said, I read pretty awful things, particularly concerning communism. When someone reads about stuff like like, even when they know it'll only turn out bad in the end (like a Mao biography -- it's not as if Mao's going to be defeated before he gets into power), they learn something that will help them become better people, and less liable to be tricked by political manipulators.

Huh....let me put it this way. Any given fiction realm is the manipulated world of the person who wrote it. It was created by their perspectives and knowledge. By getting attached to a piece of fiction, one exposes oneself to the spirit of its author. In many modern shows, I don't sense good things from the spirit of the writer. Many times I get the sense that these are sheltered types, ones that don't read books and yet still want to influence others. Basically, I want a show with a good spirit -- a show written by a writer with a good spirit, someone who is either well-learned or just out there to tell a story, without being manipulative.

If you think people who write material like in the shows we've mentioned because they want to influence people or have a bad spirit. You're being paranoid and I sincerely hope there isn't some illuminati conspiracy attached to that paranoia.

Also, sheltered types? What? I'm going to have to assume you're talking about some random trash that is completely unrelated to the brilliance in House of Cards, Breaking Bad, or the others we're talking about.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-04-2015 at 10:34 AM.