Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching?

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: What Are You Watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    So yeah, I've seen the anti-SJW crowd have a hissy fit over BioWare. I haven't played their games lately. What gives?
    Some recent higher-ups (there was a mass exodus at BioWare during development) have some pretty extreme liberal views that they like to shout on Twitter (one is an openly anti-white racist who has several twitter posts that would get anyone else fired, blacklisted, and probably jailed. Google Manveer Heir Bioware). They made a big deal about how diverse and inclusive their characters would be and how super feminist-approved they would be. They even lamented how sexualized the characters in the original trilogy were and how the women in Andromeda wouldn't be sexualized (read: they're ugly af now). They love to go on and on about how the immigration themes in Andromeda are some grand anti-Trump take down.They hired a professional cosplayer with no video game design experience to lead facial animations (although there's some controversy over this at the moment) because she has a vagina and diversity makes everything better, apparently.

The end result is something that no BioWare fans like, only SJWs who don't even play the game approve, and that's an absolute ass-backward business model.

Honestly, I'm only indirectly pissed about this because I'm currently pissed about what they (purposefully) allowed to happen with Baldur's Gate. I'm even more pissed because I feel this OCD need to complete it regardless because I love Forgotten Realms/Baldur's Gate so much. For those that don't know, the developers made a big deal about how inclusive the new script and characters would be and how the old games were sexist because one of the character's wives is a nag (in a comedic way) and how that oppresses women. Y'know, the usual. So, now, it seems, two great franchises are going in the shitter for the sake of inclusiveness.

Put simply, this seems like a StarCraft 2 moment for the universe caused only by outside political manipulations and social movements as opposed to just incompetence.

Basically, as with Western civilization as a whole, SJWs are moving in on the decaying corpse of previous greatness, declaring their way best before even demonstrating basic competence and steamrolling and demolishing the old with which they do not approve, despite that being the only reason they are there in the first place.

That being said, I'm not sure the entire game is bad. it seems alright. I obviously haven't played it, just watched ten hours ofa lets play. But, given that the parts that are clearly ruined are some of the most important, it's kind of like saying in SC2 sure the story may be bad but the gameplay is alright, it's only half the experience.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-19-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Oookay. I guess I'd just have to get the games and experience it for myself. I watched this one anti-SJW video that touched upon the very points you mentioned. I kinda think he was just some moaning butthurt fan who didn't get every single little thing he wanted, especially given he didn't even display the very scenes he was complaining about.

I like diversity in my games, books, etc. Not because of "Oh my god, this is oppression!" but because of the cultural world building opportunities. (Which is why I wanted to see cyborg terrans in SCII. Should I be crying oppression? Does this male me a SJW?) I can also live without it. I also want some stereotypes, because A.) They can be used for good story-building purposes; B.) There is some truth to stereotypes; C.) They can be funny and entertaining. I also think everyone needs to lighten the fuck up, both SJWs and... what's the opposite of an SJW? Them, too.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 03-19-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

like diversity in my games, books, etc. Not because of "Oh my god, this is oppression!" but because of the cultural world building opportunities
    Cyborg has nothing to do with diversity. The problem isn't three-dimensional, unique characters, it's the opposite. One-dimensional, terrible characters whose only contribution is a checklist on some SJWs agenda.

Either way, not the point. I was hours into Horizon: Zero Dawn before it regsitered with me that it was out of the ordinary that there was a female protagonist. Hell, I've put thousands of hours in JRPGs where I really can't say that the main characters were male at all (despite their gender) yet it didn't bother me nearly as much as a gay-voice Krogan. There are dozens of games that do diversity well without feeling preachy or forced.

Andromeda is everything that is going wrong with the merging of politics and video games. Even PewDiePie is calling bullshit on it. PewDie-fucking-Pie.

Don't believe other people though, of course. Watch it yourself. I herd the negativity before, but I watched it and realized its actually worse than I'd herd.

I also think everyone needs to lighten the fuck up, both SJWs and... what's the opposite of an SJW? Them, too.
    That's your default response. Not surprising. The fact is though is that two series have been ruined for no good reason. I don't care all that much about Mass Effect so I have no 'emotional response' and I can always just ignore the noncannon of Baldur's Gate EE, but that's still not the point.

I'm currently reading 'Marid Audran trilogy' which is a Middle Eastern-take on the cyberpunk genre and the Grace of Kings which is basically Chinese fantasy. Both authors wanted to make an ethnic alternative to the usual. That was refreshing because it was done spontaneously and naturally. Not at all what anyone is talking about here.

By the way, the opposite of an SJW is a normal person. Quite literally. Not a political statement. It's just that SJW rail against the problems of normalcy, therefore...

Nevertheless, I should probably stop complaining here. This forum seems to only be for complaining so it chases my normal behaviors to make it seem like I actually care about these things, haha. As long as there isn't some SJW-ruined Witcher game, I'm good.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-19-2017 at 07:49 PM.

From what I saw(haven't played yet), I think people are exaggerating about the ME:A facial animations. I'd never say they are good but they aren't that bad compared to what is in other recent games. It can't be compared to the Witcher 3 but it's at least equal or superior to what you have in Fallout 4. And honestly, the rest of the game's graphics are nice.

The story though, that's worrying. I'm hoping that it's at least as decent as Dragon Age Inquisition. You had a lot of SJW pleasing garbage but I still liked it overall. It's served it's purpose if anything. We'll see. To be honest, if I didn't know that SJWs were forcing it, I probably would care less about the ugly women, forced LGBT characters, etc. Really, that's kinda a non-issue on it's own. Diversity IS interesting. But, a predictable narrative that serves only to push a political agenda and characters that unnaturally proclaim their sexuality... well... that's very amateurish.

How has the story bothered you? I thought only the first couple hours were released. Though I can already guess at certain "twists" regarding the true nature of the Kett.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    How has the story bothered you? I thought only the first couple hours were released. Though I can already guess at certain "twists" regarding the true nature of the Kett.
    I haven't played; just saw the early previews. What I said was that DA:I had some story issues but was overall still fine and I'm hoping for the same in ME:A. Last sentence isn't a statement regarding ME:A story, it's more like a caution when the writers are being pushed around to include certain things.

I play games!

Okay, fine, I just play downloadable demos of games made by random people on Hamsterrepublic.com

But ah, as far as the SJW stuff goes, I'd be happy if they just put clothes on women. I can't think of one chick in gaming reasonable to cosplay.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

From what I saw(haven't played yet), I think people are exaggerating about the ME:A facial animations.
    I haven't played it either, but I watched ten hours of lets plays. And, I can assure you, the animations are terrible. Absolutely terrible. Sure, some times it's passable or even good, but usually those are in side animations, during the most important cut scenes, they are absolutely awful. Even the trailer cinematics had serious issues with facial animations. I'm not even just talking about blandless or lack of expression, I'm talking about expressions that don't even make sense, like a goofy ass smile when you're taking a gun from an enemy and trying to be intimidating, or looking constipated when the character is supposed to look in pain.

.. There's also the above cinematic .. There's terrible animations like that through out the entire thing. And, again, the lead designer is a cosplayer with no video game experience, that alone should ring bells (again, thats controversial though)

Ten hours has been activated. That's not the entire game but it's a lot. Sure, we don't know the ending, but it doesn't matter, the characters are shit and the early exposition is shit. The foundations of the story have already proven disappointing, mind-blowing plot twists would only stem the loss. Hoping for better after ten hours in is like us hoping that the trilogy would get better with HotS or LotV. It's self-delusion. I even remember a time when I was playing through WoL and I kept hoping it would finally click and get started.

Andromeda is an open-world game, though, so that definitely could be part of it. But, either way, this is not a master piece by any stretch. There are at least five AAA games coming in the past three months that I can think that are better than this game.

Plus, two of the (imho) most trustworthy reviewers in the bizz (Brad Shoemaker and Jeff Gerstman) are ringing alarm bells.

And, yeah, I hear Inquisition was SJWified. I plan on actually digging into that after BG:EE so I hope it isn't too bad. My heart can't take it.

To be honest, if I didn't know that SJWs were forcing it, I probably would care less about the ugly women, forced LGBT characters, etc. Really, that's kinda a non-issue on it's own.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm reading a fantasy book right now by Richard Morgan. It's a good book and I was enjoying it until I started hearing about five stars from 'important' blog reviewers giving it five stars because the main character is gay and loves him some graphic butt sex. And, as I said before I was hours into Horizon: Zero Dawn before it dawned on me that main character was a woman. It didn't register with me because I was absorbed in the story and everything was so natural.

But ah, as far as the SJW stuff goes, I'd be happy if they just put clothes on women. I can't think of one chick in gaming reasonable to cosplay.
    That'll probably happen around the same time that the men aren't super-jacked god-men. It's fantasy. Cosplay with an alternative costume pack.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-20-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    And, yeah, I hear Inquisition was SJWified. I plan on actually digging into that after BG:EE so I hope it isn't too bad. My heart can't take it.
    When you see

Just tell her to fuck off and you'll be mostly good The gay and African american woman are actually decent chars so you can keep them

Good to know. I pretty much immediately killed off the transgender character in BG:EE, because why the fuck is there a transgender character in a game? Sure, they wrote in some magic that changes genders, but, seriously, that's so forced.

Anyways, the embargo is over. Reviews are in.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...fect-andromeda

75 as of this posting, which sounds about right. Not an awful game, but definitely not a great game. It's a huge let down for Mass Effect fans though. Basically Mass Effect is having a WoL moment. Or maybe D3 moment is more accurate since WoL succeed in the most important aspects for most people which is the MP and game play. D3 satisfied almost no one.

Then again, it would be lower if sites no one has ever heard of weren't included. The big sites like GameSpot gave it a 60 and lower.

Which really makes it worse than I feared. SJW claims another one. I thought this would be a Ghostbusters type situation where journalists would praise it while everyone else would know the truth. But, nope, even journalists are panning this shit.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-20-2017 at 05:49 PM.