Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOTV - new 12 workers at the start - Thoughts?

Default LOTV - new 12 workers at the start - Thoughts?

As the title says, coming in the new expansion, Blizzard decided to completely revamp the economic system in SC2.

A really huge and bold move.

The change involves :

-players starting with 12 workers instead of 6, currently
    -1000 minerals per mineral patch; 8 patches per base
    -1700 gas per vespene geyser; 2 geysers per base

Based on the current feedback, it seems like this change will almost completely kill deathball and turtle-based play and make the game be more about expansions and harassment-based aggression, sort of like Broodwar.

What are your thoughts on this?

Like? Dislike? Outraged?

Default Re: LOTV - new 12 workers at the start - Thoughts?

None of Blizzard's plans ever survive contact with the enemy, the players.

I'm a fan of the change, but I'm sure players will find a way to screw around with it.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    None of Blizzard's plans ever survive contact with the enemy, the players.

I'm a fan of the change, but I'm sure players will find a way to screw around with it.

That's very true... It might be a little strong of a change, and I think that if that number of workers were reduced to 8-9 it would accomplish the same goal without making it too sped up, tech-wise or expansion-wise.

Don't get me wrong, I love the whole concept of skipping the first 3 minutes of the game, but it might be a little extreme of a change.

Anything that kills the garbage Deathball is a + for me.

all they need to do to complete the hit, is replace that weird "disruptor" thing with Reavers, Replace the useless Mothership (and it's core) with Arbiters and maybe add Scourges to Zerg to counter BC Warp rifts.

I wonder if it's possible to program one's own units for SCII. If someone re-adds old units like Kaise said, it wouldn't be too hard, because people know what they're like.

I doubt the death ball will be killed. Then again, that's a sign of low-skilled play. People like me will probably still use deathballs at the bottom of the ladder.

I like the idea of more workers at the start. As for the reduction of minerals and vespene, that will require a lot of map rebalancing. I wonder if LotV multiplayer is going to use a completely different set of maps.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt the death ball will be killed. Then again, that's a sign of low-skilled play. People like me will probably still use deathballs at the bottom of the ladder.

I like the idea of more workers at the start. As for the reduction of minerals and vespene, that will require a lot of map rebalancing. I wonder if LotV multiplayer is going to use a completely different set of maps.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

I wonder how rushes will be effected by this. Ling rush already comes fast enough with 6 starting workers.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how rushes will be effected by this. Ling rush already comes fast enough with 6 starting workers.

This change makes followup attacks nerfed. If you plan and execute an immortal/sentry, it'll be very hard for you to rebound and do a follow up attack.

I think this is a good idea, I just hope that it actually rewards players for expanding.

Doesn't fix the Mule issue though. Which terran players would likely say, "What mule issue, noob!?"

I wish they just reduced saturation for mineral lines. Having quick depleting resource sites means harvesters will not be on a certain location for a long time. They will actually be moving from expo to expo.

It's' inefficient for gameplay, but I like the aesthetic appeal to it. It makes the base look more busy when you have a bunch of workers crowding and moving from node to node trying to get a spot. There's a certain charm that I think I'd miss if they removed that.

- - - Updated - - -

It's' inefficient for gameplay, but I like the aesthetic appeal to it. It makes the base look more busy when you have a bunch of workers crowding and moving from node to node trying to get a spot. There's a certain charm that I think I'd miss if they removed that.