Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unused HoTS Story Elements

Default Re: Unused HoTS Story Elements

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    You know, this hate and inhumanity she displays as a deinfested human would've been a nice motivation for her to go back to the Zerg. Reflecting that she's pretty much rotten even as a human, she may as well get back her powers/infest herself because it would be all the better to help go apeshit on others some more.
    That might have actually made a worthwhile concept for the story.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    You know, this hate and inhumanity she displays as a deinfested human would've been a nice motivation for her to go back to the Zerg. Reflecting that she's pretty much rotten even as a human, she may as well get back her powers/infest herself because it would be all the better to help go apeshit on others some more.
    This was exactly the problem when you had too many writers thinking different things. Back at Blizzcon 2011, this was exactly why they hinted more along the redemption end. Because of the emphasis Blizzard put on her feelings for Raynor, this would explain why the hatred and total inhumanity in her deinfested state was cut, meaning that at least SOME traces of what Raynor had told her of had survived, though in the eyes of others proved largely negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Back at Blizzcon 2011, this was exactly why they hinted more along the redemption end.
    Redemption stories only work when they are naturally (for that universe) earnt, not given due to/enabled by/forced into being by some plot device (ie: artifact).
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I never felt HotS was a redemption story. Kerrigan gets her memory altered by a magic item, goes into a roaring rampage of revenge that leaves several planet overrun by the Zerg, then switches back to fighting an existential threat after her revenge is complete.

By contrast, Warcraft 3 goes out of its way to explain the orcs always had their free will (even when they were corrupted barbarians), then shows them drop their old hatred and switch sides. That was much more striking as a redemption than Kerrigan essentially narrowing her list of targets.
    Last edited by Telenil; 08-25-2014 at 05:26 AM.

It's been ages since I looked at obsolete triggers, I can't seem to remember how I got there. But I recall the game starting off completely differently. Kerrigan (seemed like?) a captive to Valerian, which lead to her quote "The girl you remember is dead" to Raynor. I might be completely wrong about the captive part but I do believe she was getting taken to get researched on more prior to Lab Rat and both Raynor and Kerrigan heavily objected it.

The Arcturus/Kerrigan conversations were pure gold though, its a crime that they took those out.
    Last edited by NikoMyCousin; 08-25-2014 at 05:10 PM.

I just finished a recent playthrough of HotS and noticed that the dialog for the Korhal arc seemed a litte off. Anyone else think the story was rearranged or changed so late that they either missed taking out references to now-obsolete plot?
    Last edited by The_Blade; 08-27-2014 at 12:21 AM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Do lines of dialogue end up getting scrapped because of budget reasons? I'm trying to think of why some of these would get removed and that seems to be my only answer.

They always seem to cut out the best parts and leave the filler-crap in.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiseStratosTygo View Post
    They always seem to cut out the best parts and leave the filler-crap in.
    It's a shame on Kaldir for Lassara as well. If Kerrigan told her that even if she was willing to forgive, the other Protoss wouldn't, which in turn would leave her with no choice, people would have better understood her actions over the course of HotS.

Quote Originally Posted by Telenil View Post
    I never felt HotS was a redemption story. Kerrigan gets her memory altered by a magic item, goes into a roaring rampage of revenge that leaves several planet overrun by the Zerg, then switches back to fighting an existential threat after her revenge is complete.

By contrast, Warcraft 3 goes out of its way to explain the orcs always had their free will (even when they were corrupted barbarians), then shows them drop their old hatred and switch sides. That was much more striking as a redemption than Kerrigan essentially narrowing her list of targets.
    It wasn't, as Kerrigan's plan was only for the sake of revenge. Even if she reunited with Raynor after the Umojan facility, she would have told him that to let everything go was impossible, as they'd be hunted by Mengsk indefinitely, and Raynor would have agreed that they had to turn their attention back to Mengsk immediately.

In comparison Blizzcon 2011 held better hints of redemption and such, which was ultimately a disappointment. Regardless, with retribution on the horizon....

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Somebody needs to do this for Wings of Liberty. There's unused dialog in there too that nobody has bothered mining.
    I have nowhere near the technical skill needed to fully explore, but I looked at the list of sound files and found some stuff that may be of interesting. Sorry if any of this actually is in the campaign, on my replays I don't tend to talk to folks a lot.

-------------------

Some angry dialogue from Raynor in the first mission.
    - "What's wrong with you people? Why don't ya fight back? "
    Further cut dialogue indicates there was more of a story to the mission - some of the people weren't happy to see Raynor around and didn't want to fight out of fear, Raynor took out the guards and encouraged them to stand and fight, telling anyone who wants to help him that he and his men are moving into the main base.
    During the third mission where you hold out on Mar Sara, there's more triggers for Tychus to warn you of incoming Zerg from various directions than were used.

Gavin Hill has dialogue talking about the specific mercenary groups a bit more. Attached an image to save me copying each line. Not sure if these are in the campaign as fidget quotes, but he also asks "You knew General Duke, right?"

Mercenaries.png

Remember Matt notifying you of various Zerg incoming during the first Hanson mission? At one point this would involve waves of Mutalisks, he and Raynor have appropriate dialogue discussing it.
    - Horner: "Sir? I've detected large numbers of Mutalisks closing in on you. They'll be in position to attack any moment now."
    - Raynor: "We better step it up and save these folks before it starts raining glave wurms."

This has a text description but no actual voice clip, it's labeled as being from the first Hanson mission, from Donny Vermillion, specifically the part where Mengsk says he's bringing Warfield out of retirement.
    - "While Mengsk has a lot of faith in General Warfield, I should point out that the general is an honorable man and was not associated with Mengsk when Tarsonis fell."

Seemingly alternate dialogue for Selendis upon completing "Safe Haven"
    - "You have won the day as a warrior and I salute you, James Raynor. We shall meet again, perhaps as allies, perhaps as enemies. As the gods will."

There's adjutant warnings for the train mission that indicate there would have been waves where multiple trains are sent out, including three at once. There's three warnings of incoming trains, one for each pair of tunnels, and a fourth warning for all three. Also there's this little bit:
    - "The eighteen fifty service to New Gettysburg is running four years, five months, twelve days, eight hours and seventeen minutes late."

Seems Mira Han was more talkative originally.
    - "Very nice, you're almost there, Jim! I'll get my crew ready for some Orlan-bashing."
    - "Better pick up the pace, Orlan's already got half of my payment waiting for me. You know I've got a soft spot for Matthew, but business is business."
    - "Matthew, perhaps you could stop by later? We have some personal business to... discuss."

- Mira: "Huh, you've already got half the payment I asked for. You're a fast worker, Jim. Send me Matthew and we'll call it even."
    - Raynor: "I don't think so darlin'. How about I keep Matt and give you the minerals."

Odd line from Raynor during the Odin mission
    - "What is that thing? Swann would love this place."

During the attack on Korhal, Warfield has alt dialogue to send in the strike teams when you hijack a tower, calling the teams "Death Dealers" and "Mad Dogs".

Dialogue from Narud during the evacuation.
    - "For all her strength, the Queen of Blades is nothing but an impotent child in comparison."
    Here's a telling bit from the same mission, courtesy of Raynor.
    - "Watch it! Lurker! Those bastards attack while they're burrowed - we need some detection out there to root it out."

During the Supernova mission, there are numerous alerts for resources exposed by the oncoming fire wall. Horner explains that the flames are melting the planet's crust, exposing new nodes. There was also to be a point where Horner sends down a second command center to speed up mining. As another mechanic, Horner has several lines where he warns of incoming solar flares to watch out for, no idea what they do but it would be a recurring thing, he has like half a dozen alerts for it.

More Tal'darim Executor taunts from the fifth mission because I guess he didn't have enough. Judging from the mission number in the file names it was the mission on the Xel'naga ship. The only one of note is the fourth; "The Benefactor" is what the Tal'darim called Ulrezaj in the novels.
    - "Your vaunted armor will not protect you. Soon you will feel my hand at your throat."
    - "Your presence is an abomination to this place! You shall feel the wrath of the chosen!"
    - "You will die out here in the darkness."
    - "Truly the Benefactor smiles upon us this day! Now there shall be a final reckoning!"
    Additionally, there's a warning that indicates the Mothership would have gone for your base instead of defending the artifact.
    - Horner: "Sir, the mothership is heading straight for our base! We have to pull back and defend it!"

- Raynor: "If we can't defend our base, we sure as hell can't take the vault!"
    And somewhere in the mission was this...
    - Raynor: "Well, let's introduce it to our good friend Mr. Yamato cannon."

Speaking of the Benefactor, this is from the Drill mission.
    - "Still you persist! It is heresy to touch the artifacts of the Benefactor!"

At one point the bridge of the Bucephelus would be accessible. The window, a phonograph, and a painting would be clickable. The latter begins this conversation.
    - Raynor: "Now I now old Arcturus thinks he's the center of the universe, but that's a bit much, don't you think?"
    - Valerian: "Actually Commander, that painting depicts my grandfather, Angus Mengsk. It was a gift from his constituents on Korhal, to honor his crusade against the vile Confederacy."
    - Raynor: "You've got some mighty big boots to fill, junior. In the end, the struggle for power killed your granddad and turned your daddy into a monster. You sure you know what you're getting into?"
    - Valerian: "Don't worry about me, Commander. Though I honor my fathers, I follow in no man's footsteps."

There is also this:
    - Raynor: "Something on your mind, Valerian?"
    - Valerian: "I just wanted to congratulate you, Commander. I doubt there's anyone alive that could have turned our calamitous invasion into a victory."
    - Raynor: "We ain't achieved victory yet. And if I know Kerrigan, the worst is still to come."
    - Valerian: "(haunted) I didn't anticipate her reacting so quickly. She seems to be a... fierce opponent. Perhaps we wouldn't have lost so many men if I'd--"
    - Raynor: "Now ain't the time for second guessing, junior. If we survive what's next, you'll have the whole rest of your life to wallow in guilt. For now, we buck up and get 'er done. "

These lines from the first Char mission indicate destroying the Spore Cannons may have been an objective.
    - Adjutant: "The zerg planetary defenses are made up of Spore Cannons. They destroy targets entering the planet's orbit."

- Adjutant: "Commander, Valerian is sending cargo pods to the surface."

- Valerian: "Our supplies and troops are being shot down by the planetary defenses. Anyone on the surface, try to take down those defenses!"

- Valerian: "Whoever is taking out those defenses down there, you have my gratitude."

Also this from Raynor in the same mission
    - "We can salvage some of the wreckage from the Dominion base for resources. If we find more, we can put it to good use."

Dialogue from Swann and Horner from the Char missions. Seems at one point you'd remain on the Hyperion for it, or at least be able to communicate with them.
    - Swann: "Your girl's made herself a lot of enemies over the years. If that damned artifact does what you hope it does they won't hesitate goin' through you to get to her."
    - Horner: "With the platform down the zerg have stopped hammering us. We're finally gaining control of high orbit. [Fear 70]But, sir - this last step are you sure you know what you're getting into? What if she can't be saved? Have you really considered that?[/Fear]"

These too seem to be from the Char missions. Seems at one point the Hyperion would be attacked.
    - Swann: "Oh this is just great, cowboy! I've got critters tryin' to chew through two decks, four engines out and half the defensive turrets are offline!"
    - Raynor: "Can you keep her together, Swann?"
    - Swann: "Course I can! Havin' the time of my life, brother!"
    - Raynor: "Well you keep things workin' around here. I'll see what I can do about our rowdy neighbors."

- Raynor: "What's your status, Swann?"
    - Swann: "Crappy. How're you enjoying your little vacation dirtside?"
    - Raynor: "Not much better. The beer's flat and the locals are ugly."
    - Swann: "Listen, cowboy I love you like a brother. I know you got all your hopes pinned on savin' Kerrigan... But just watch your back down there."

Seems the air platform mission had more specialized areas, that or Horner would recommend more specific strategies.

- Horner: "It is possible to go around to the far side and flank the defenses on this platform sir. It'll give you a cleaner shot at the towers."

- Horner: "I can't detect a land route to the next platform. You'll need an air force to take out the towers on this one."

There was also to be a mechanic where you had to defend against a wave of Zerg.
    - Horner: "The first waves of zerg are incoming. We can't extract you until they're gone."
    - Tychus: "What!? You mean we're stuck on this thing?"
    - Raynor: "Did ya think they were just gonna let us take off? Shut up and get ready to kill some damn zerg!"

Warfield also has more dialogue during the mission, nothing important just general comments.

During the final mission, Kerrigan had more taunts too. Most are more generic "you fool!" types, but here's some specific ones.
    - "You want to play, little boy?"
    - "You should really go and check on your base."
    - "I told you there'd be no more free passes, Jim. Let this be a lesson to anyone who would defy me."
    - "Ready for another round, lover? Here I come ready or not."
    - "Is this your idea of bravery, Jim? Or is it just desperation?"
    - "A pathetic attempt to distract me."

A line labeled HansonPissedLines.
    - "You're close to finishing this. You sure you're ready for it?"

Assorted misc dialogue from Raynor, Kerrigan, and Artanis, no idea what for. They're all labeled "AICommunication_<Race>AICommand" and seem to be part of some tutorial for the three races, the three talking about looking for expansion spots, detecting invisible units, we need more units, and other basic things.

Zeratul has this, I guess he had another ability at some point.
    - "Spore crawlers can detect my presence! A few well-placed void spheres will dispatch them easily enough!"

Stettman has lots of dialogue, not sure how much is used or not, but it sounds like there were more things planned for the lab, and there may have been some connection between the upgrades from the Lab and the Armory.
    - "Those hunter-killer hydralisks were just fascinating! I've developed a new pathogen that can be delivered via high velocity gauss rounds. This will make our marines' ammunition particularly effective against biological targets!"
    - "We're really close to understanding zerg biology on a whole new level! I know it'll be tricky, but some samples from zerg queens would give me the last few genetic components I need."
    - "Well well well, ladies and gentlemen I've cracked it! The queens' dissection provided some real insight into the zerg's biology. On a practical level, I've advised Swann about fine tuning of our siege tank ammunition to cause maximum damage!"
    - "Well I have completed the research on exo-dermal plating, thank you very much. I've suggested some adjustments to Swann that'll make our flame weapons much more effective against zerg flesh!"
    - "Zerg evolve very rapidly, but if I could just examine some of their chrysalises, I know I can find a weakness."
    - "I've heard reports of hyper-rare mutant strains within the zerg gene pool. Studying some of those would be highly informative."
    - "The protoss excel at energy manipulation. As I understand it, Arcthium gems are key to their technology. If we secure some of those I'm sure we can make a breakthrough. "
    - "Ha! I was right about those Arcthium gems! Even using tiny slivers of them to boost our reactors' output increases energy regeneration by twenty five percent!"
    - "The memories in that Ihan crystal are ideal for learning about the Dark Templar's battle strategies. Once you've studied it, we'll be able correlate the lessons learned and apply them to our troops!"
    - "Huh. Ahh, well the Dark Templar have developed some highly unusual tactics. We can't mimic their kind of fluid combat style exactly but the improved coordination we've learned will net us an increase in firepower for all of our units."
    - "Ah those protoss relics are amazing. I've figured out a way to generate resonant kinetic fields that'll reinforce our vehicles' armor. Huh? Yeah!"

Random dialogue from some scientist somewhere
    - "We're not all mad you know."

Cut line from Lockwell, alternate opening to the Valerian interview.
    - "Today I'm speaking with Crown Prince Valerian. Highness, what do you say about the allegations that recently came to light regarding your father's corruption--"

Also, a bit that is in the game - Hanson yells at you if you destroy the allied colonist structures in the first Hanson mission. She has three lines as you keep at it. And Tychus has this gem from somewhere in the Moebius Evac mission, "We better get to that data core fast, Jimmy. The queen-bitch over there is gettin' awful close."
    Last edited by Drake Clawfang; 08-30-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    SC2 handle - "DrakeyC, code 929"

I ARE A PROPHET! I've predicted three major aspects of SC2 correct, more or less.

June 2007 - I predicted the Protoss campaign would give you new tech as you conducted diplomacy among tribes.

Hidden Content:
    July 18th 2010 - I predicted Raynor would broadcast information of Mengsk's actions on Tarsonis to discredit him and incite rebellion.

Hidden Content:
    June 16th 2010 I predicted the Voice in the Darkness was the commanding force behind the Hybrids. I'm calling it half-right.