Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ranting about Firstborn

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Ranting about Firstborn

To put it simply and without rehashing past debates: Yes.

Although, truth be told, I had almost none of the problems you did, but that was probably because I never had and probably never will care about characters and was reading for the additions to StarCraft lore (which, at the time, I was excited for and showed promise) and I feel it succeeded at that. Especially book two which I felt was a lot better than book one. Book three is a blur though. While you were reading and caring about the characters, I was reading to see the continuation of a story I'd been dying to see continued since I was a child in 1998.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 07-06-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    To put it simply and without rehashing past debates: Yes.
    Yes? As in you do mean that Blizzard doesn't have the right to try? Lol, that's kind of funny. If you mean Blizzard should stick to games, well then, okay.

So what did you think about Firstborn?

Yes as in my stance has not changed since the last time we got into this

What was your stance? I forget.

Given that the whole thing is supposed to be a rant (it's in the title of the topic, people!), we've been warned that the review is going to be somewhat biased. Just sayin'....

All that you can objectively take from the review really is that "Nissa does not recommend Firstborn".
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

All I really wanted was to inspire conversation of the book. I know I overanalyze things, so it's nice to get other people's opinions for balance. That, and my full opinion is sort of nerfed until I finish the trilogy.

Given that the whole thing is supposed to be a rant (it's in the title of the topic, people!),
    No, it's supposed to be a review (It's in the description of the blog, dude!). It's just that she was honest and called it a rant in the SCL title.

Not sure what your point is though since we can still comment on her rant/review in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    No, it's supposed to be a review (It's in the description of the blog, dude!). It's just that she was honest and called it a rant in the SCL title.

Not sure what your point is though since we can still comment on her rant/review in the same way.
    Nope. It's not a review. It's a nitpickery, where I go into too much detail about the things that bug me. Reviews are more geared towards helping people decide if they want a product.

Can't we just talk about the book? Seriously, I don't know your opinion, besides that you think it's one of the better SC novels. If you like it, go ahead and say so. I can't argue against enjoyment.

I see I have shown my talent for ending conversations again.

And unavoidable triple post.

Look, guys, I'm sorry if I've crossed the line here. Obviously the things I've said have offended you, when really my only intention was to try and inspire conversation on a book. I don't want to have arguments or turn a discussion about Starcraft so personal.

@Gradius. I'm sorry if I sounded condescending, but it really offends me when people accuse me of things falsely, even if it's something as simple as bias. I really did give the book a chance, and there were a lot of things I didn't like about it. If you disagree and wanted to talk about things you liked, well then, alright. I very much don't like being talked down to, but that's no excuse for doing the same. I'm sorry.

@Economist. I'm....not really sure what your point was in your posts here. I know it had something to do with our disagreement in the "what are you reading now" thread, but to be honest, I didn't get that argument either. I had no idea what you were saying or why you cared so much about it. The whole thing seemed really pointless. I don't know why you're ignoring me.

In any case, I do apologize. I just wanted to talk about a book, not have an argument on a personal level.