Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Raynor tell Kerrigan she's supposed to save the universe?

Default Re: Did Raynor tell Kerrigan she's supposed to save the universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Lest we forget that Kerrigan claimed to put no stock in Zeratul's "mas prophecies." Raynor very well may have mentioned it to Kerrigan in passing, but it doesn't mean she took it seriously.
    That's just it, and it's likely that even if Raynor told her this, Kerrigan may have just pointed out that the prophecy is still unclear. Remember, when she encountered Zeratul on Ulaan, even HE didn't have a full understanding of it.

There's probably nothing more infuriating in HotS than Raynor's dialogue early in the game

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    It's very similar to what he did in SC1, but not really the same.

1) Raynor appears to fully buy into the prophecy mumbo-jumbo at the time, telling Matt stuff like "No, that's just it - I think she's the only one that can save it." It's nice that he backpedaled on this behind-the-scenes right after he got what he wanted. The whole thing seems dishonest to me. Call it personal opinion.

2) Raynor gets proof that the prophecy is real when he sees the Hybrid on Castanar. He doesn't really have the option of denial or agnosticism at this point, and he's consciously agreeing to screw over the universe.
    Oh, definitely. And I can't say it's very reasonable for Raynor to ignore the prophecy, but since I prefer to ignore that arc, if Raynor is willing to facilitate that for me, I'm not going to complain :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    3) Before, I could at least rationalize Raynor shooting his best friend in the face because he was trying to save the universe. He was in a tough position with his crew because of what he knew about the prophecy. Now he doesn't even have that excuse.
    I don't think Raynor was supposed to be sympathetic in that moment. I've interpreted that as being quite a dark moment for the character, and think his decision to attack Char has some echoes of Mengsk's overthrow of the Confederacy. I agree with you that it's not something we should approve of, but I don't know that it was a flaw of the storytelling, rather than one of its stronger points.

Then again, I've "fixed" Wings of Liberty quite a bit in my headcannon. I can't be totally sure that I've interpreted that the way the authours intended to, but I prefer to be generous and assume they did.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

Quote Originally Posted by NikoMyCousin View Post
    There's probably nothing more infuriating in HotS than Raynor's dialogue early in the game
    What did you expect? He just wanted to be happy with her, the last thing he needed now was more outside meddling.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    What did you expect? He just wanted to be happy with her, the last thing he needed now was more outside meddling.
    I at least expected Raynor to show some sort of anger towards Mengsk for manipulating his best friend. I didn't expect that his character would denounce a revolution fought for 4 years after "ordering good men to their deaths" just because he rescued Kerrigan. And I won't buy that he is prioritizing the end of the universe over his revolution; he outright thinks he's a key player in it's destruction in WoL.

I at least expected Raynor to show some sort of anger towards Mengsk for manipulating his best friend. I didn't expect that his character would denounce a revolution fought for 4 years after "ordering good men to their deaths" just because he rescued Kerrigan. And I won't buy that he is prioritizing the end of the universe over his revolution; he outright thinks he's a key player in it's destruction in WoL.
    Yeah I know what you mean. After being hunted yet again in Flashpoint, I had expected that as well.

Of course, I'm sure even if both of them had escaped the facility and BOTH made it back to the Hyperion, Kerrigan would have had little difficulty to convince him to take the fight to Mengsk anyway...

"I never gave up on you Sarah! Don't give up on us!"

*hurls violently*

I still stand by my statement that Raynor never really had a chance to tell Kerrigan anything about the prophecy. His first priority when rescuing her was to make sure she was okay/not gonna go full zerg and murder everyone. After that, she was trapped in Val's labs, with no privacy. She wasn't let out until the events of HotS, where the two had little time to get much talking done. And apparently Raynor felt it was more important to talk about how much he loves the murdering monster.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

If that point had been in WoL, I might have shot someone. Since it was in HotS, my skin had already been hardened, my hopes crushed, and so I expected that shit. It was just cringe/funny to me.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Nah, it got a full on rage moment from me. To go from vague hints of romance to straight up mushy talk and a kiss no one wanted...I didn't think Blizzard would go that low. Heh, the scene that really made me laugh was in WoL, when Zeratul's first words to Raynor were "I bring tidings of doom." I literally laughed out loud.

Hey Econ, have you expounded on how you feel about WoL/HotS yet? I enjoy negativity, so I would love to hear your opinion.

Ooh, I'm still gonna have to go with Zerus/the Primal stuff. Actually I've got a few contenders. :P