Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xel'Naga - Universe Origins

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Xel'Naga - Universe Origins

I'm thinking of this part of the Ulaan prophecy:

The Xel'Naga who forged the stars will transcend their creation...
    and that it might actually be literal. My theory is that the xel'naga, seeking to escape the heat death of their own universe, created their own universe in a lab, sort of like this: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...ses-in-the-lab

An important thing to note is that the big bang doesn't violate the conservation of energy, because the gravitational potential energy offsets the matter and energy in the known universe. So if the Xel'Naga could create a microuniverse and initiate inflation somehow, they could effectively use it to escape from their own universe before it was too late.

Alternatively, StarCraft takes place inside in a multiverse, and the xel'naga just traveled to the next parallel universe, which isn't so far-fetched given that we already have warp drives and wormhole transit.
    http://bigthink.com/videos/escape-to...allel-universe

During the age of the universe, the Xel'Naga would have been continuing the cycle, evolving species and merging them over cosmic time. In the DT Saga Zamara says this about the cycle:

What I can say is this; it is a cycle that is as natural to them as breathing is to you, Jacob, or as gathering nutrients is to us,
    Zeratul. It has existed for so long and has shaped so much of the cosmos that it is, perhaps, as
    natural and right a thing, universally, as life and death, the spin of planets, and the formation and
    cessation of stars. I do not know that I can say it is wrong
    I mean, that's a pretty hefty and substantial claim right there. One of the few ways I can see to justify it is if some of what I posted in the above is true. \_(ツ)_/

Default Re: Xel'Naga - Universe Origins

Meh, I don't like parallel universes in most sci fi. They get convoluted very easily. I'd prefer Starcraft without that kind of complication.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Meh, I don't like parallel universes in most sci fi. They get convoluted very easily. I'd prefer Starcraft without that kind of complication.
    That's not what this is. "Parallel" in this context means the universe that's next to ours in the multiverse, not the same universe with some mild changes like in most campy sci-fi.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

A little bit ago, I wanted to start getting up to date on Physics and Metaphysics. I read some books by Brian Greene, some books by Michio Kaku, and lots of articles about theories. Then, I decided to throw in some history channel documentaries which made an attempt to explain these exact same theories. The multiverse concept explained by actual physicists that Gradius is talking about, was drastically altered to become a multipart series about "What if the Dinosaurs never died out" or "What if Hitler won WW2?" The obvious impression they were trying to communicate was that other universes were exactly like ours (right down to having the same nations and individual people) but with some different decisions being made. Note, that this was not some branch chain theory or anyrhing else. This was specifically the same theories, mentioned by name, as the ones that Brian Greene was explaining.

In summation, History channel's gone to shit.

and that it might actually be literal. My theory is that the xel'naga, seeking to escape the heat death of their own universe, created their own universe in a lab, sort of like this: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...ses-in-the-lab
    I hope something like this is the case. It would go a long way towards redeeming the series and getting the Xel'Naga as a concept back on track. Similiar concepts were what I had assumed the Xel'Naga story arch would have become before SC2. Of course, this almost surely means that that's not what Blizzard will be going for.

I'll reserve more in-depth discussion of these topics once I've completed my Physics/Metaphysics course that I'm going through right now. These areas of discussion are just about the only ones left in SC that would interest me.

(How did I miss this topic before now?)
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 05-29-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

If the concept of a multiverse/parallel universe exists in Starcraft, it would certainly explain a lot. That is, Sc2 is really a parallel universe to that of Sc1 and not an actual continuation/sequel of Sc1.

Jokes aside, if the Xel'Naga have the capacity to cross the multiverse and do whatever they want as the scientists without moral or ethical concerns they were originally conceived as, they'd probably have no reason to go back to the universe that Starcraft inhabits given the infinite number of universes they could go to.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Found more evidence for my theory. After Kerrigan leaves Skygeirr, she talks about Amon, who is "older than the universe".

If this all ends up being just hyperbole like I think it will, I will be pissed off. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Jokes aside, if the Xel'Naga have the capacity to cross the multiverse and do whatever they want as the scientists without moral or ethical concerns they were originally conceived as, they'd probably have no reason to go back to the universe that Starcraft inhabits given the infinite number of universes they could go to.
    Why would they go back? They only need to show up once to conduct their experiment and prolong their lifespan to continue the cycle.
    Last edited by Gradius; 06-01-2014 at 07:20 PM.

I remember when people used to say that the Xel'Naga should be a playable race. I don't even know how that kind of gameplay would balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    I remember when people used to say that the Xel'Naga should be a playable race. I don't even know how that kind of gameplay would balance.
    Well I had a great idea of how to merge Zerg and Protoss functionality using a race-wide merging mechanic like Templar into Archons. Since there's so few Xel'Naga, they'd instead use weak robotic base units (like a Probe), which would Voltron combine into all the stronger units they wanted. So they'd have the rapid mass production of weak units like the Zerg, and the uber strong expensive units of the Protoss as each would be a direct cost multiple of the base unit.

But of course no one ever listens to me.

I've always thought the Xel'Naga should be pretty much militarily incompetent. They were just obsessive intergalactic biologists.

I very much like the 'mad science' aspect of them just going around creating species far beyond the Xel'Naga's own capacities, until one of their creations destroys them.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

Out of curiosity, how do you guys imagine the aesthetic of the Xel'Naga? I've always imagined their worldships as something like this: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...nfection11.jpg

Except more massive. Something that exudes the vibe of the protoss purifier ship in the original SC intro cinematic.