Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was the success of SC and BW lore in our imagination?

Default Re: Was the success of SC and BW lore in our imagination?

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    On topic, I would say it wasn't character driven vs. plot driven as to why it was good. Starcraft was good because our imagination could fill up the gaps. What helped make SCII fail is that it botched not only the characters, but attempted to fill in the gaps during the game and by making the horrendous novels canon.

What really should have happened is that they should have found a person with a "history book" type of mind to write up a background "Bible" for Starcraft, and then the game designers use the parts they want, leaving the rest unexplained to the player. In other words, they should have hired me. I'm gonna be that arrogant person that says they could have done a better job of writing the game than they did (of course, who could fail harder?).
    Lol, preach on brother!!

Oh and they did have a Starcraft "bible". It was the Starcraft 1 manual, it's just they then went on to trash everything in it.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    Haha.

The only thing that I thought the initial novels did well was to flesh out marines' resocialization in interesting ways. That was a thing they were good for, since the games can't really follow marines due to them just being cannon fodder.

And, heh, I bet you do remember me, though maybe not fondly. It's kind of embarrassing, I was actually in Sons of War (haven't typed that in a while, heh) with you, but I was literally 13 years old when I joined, so I was really arrogant and whiny— afterwards I took a break from internet forums and Starcraft fan stuff for a couple years, hence the username change. I was MoH (but it's a secret!). Sorry if I was ever an idiot!
    SONS OF WAR!!!!!! Ah! That was my favorite thing ever. It was the fondest part of my Starcraft life to be a part of that. I miss it terribly and the choose your own adventure games I used to GM with the guys on chat. Man, I so want to write a mod again, except this time I want to get there early enough to correct the spine of the plot. Killing Kerri off in the first missions? Killing Artie in favor of OCs? Pffffft. Not the way to get a good plot going.

Oh, and as for the Starcraft Bible, I meant something that would delve a little more into the post-Brood War world. I don't think Blizzard ever really thought that part through.

Oh, and as for the Starcraft Bible, I meant something that would delve a little more into the post-Brood War world. I don't think Blizzard ever really thought that part through.
    Oh, I see something like the Warcraft 3 manual then? That pretty much filled in what happened between Warcracft 2 and 3 and even everything that happened way before Warcraft1 like the beginnings of that universe.

Anyways, I figured they thought "4 years passed" was enough of an explanation for everything in Sc2 with the excuse of "anything can happen in 4 years" being inclusive enough for those who wanted to use their imagination to fill in the gaps. Heh.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

The trouble with that is they didn't have the characters make logical jumps during that time. We never really understood why Kerri backed down, making her appearance in WoL confusing. We don't know how Raynor went from "the man who will kill Kerrigan" to a revolutionary. Yuck. Rednecks don't even say "revolution" unless they're talking about the Revolutionary War.

Well, I guess long story short is that they should have made it feel like a logical gap between Brood War and SC2. Instead it feels like two different franchises.

I'm gonna be that arrogant person that says they could have done a better job of writing the game than they did (of course, who could fail harder?).
    If that makes you arrogant, count me in. I've actually got my own fanfic script for the sequel to StarCraft which includes elements of Brood War and StarCraft II.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticTemplar View Post
    If that makes you arrogant, count me in. I've actually got my own fanfic script for the sequel to StarCraft which includes elements of Brood War and StarCraft II.
    While I don't share your dislike of Brood War (though I do understand it), I am very intruigued.

While I don't share your dislike of Brood War (though I do understand it), I am very intruigued.
    I suppose I could post it when I'm done. The likelihood of me ever turning it into an actual custom campaign are very unlikely.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...

Why? I know a guy called SargeHK -- he was a dude that made excellent models for the mod Sons of War. All we have to do is find modders to do it for us, and some people that know websites, and it could work.

Also, does Aldaris live? I'd really like him to live.

Why? I know a guy called SargeHK -- he was a dude that made excellent models for the mod Sons of War. All we have to do is find modders to do it for us, and some people that know websites, and it could work.
    Oh, mostly because I oscillate between periods of intense activity and near-total apathy, and it can be hard to predict what I'll be focused on when the intensity starts.

Also, as campaign editors have gotten more complex from Brood War to WarCraft III to StarCraft II, I've felt that my standards should increase with them, though my skill has not .

Also, does Aldaris live? I'd really like him to live.
    That was actually one of the things I was going to keep, though I wanted to play it somewhat differently. I've been thinking of playing part of the campaign from his perspective as he uncovers Raszagal's secret and Kerrigan's ploy, but I'm not entirely certain yet.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticTemplar View Post
    Now THAT'D be something I'd like to read if you ever write it.