Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Was the success of SC and BW lore in our imagination?

Default Re: Was the success of SC and BW lore in our imagination?

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    The trouble with that is they didn't have the characters make logical jumps during that time. We never really understood why Kerri backed down, making her appearance in WoL confusing. We don't know how Raynor went from "the man who will kill Kerrigan" to a revolutionary. Yuck. Rednecks don't even say "revolution" unless they're talking about the Revolutionary War.

Well, I guess long story short is that they should have made it feel like a logical gap between Brood War and SC2. Instead it feels like two different franchises.
    I know the pain. I've been going on about this lack of continuity for a very long time. I, for one, would of preferred a story about Raynor changing his stance toward Kerrigan and becoming a revolutionary as an outlet because he can do nothing else rather than have it just dumped on our lap as a given like Sc2 did. They definitely missed a gold-mine of a story opportunity there.

The 4 years thing also makes things really wishy-washy. It's supposed to both explain both no movement nor significant involvement in terms of Kerrigan/Zerg ("oh, they're building up) and Protoss ("oh, they're recovering") whilst also allowing the Terrans to suddenly become the undisputed powerhouse in the K sector ("oh, they're recovering, but really fast") when there really is no logical reason why for either of these cases.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticTemplar View Post
    That was actually one of the things I was going to keep, though I wanted to play it somewhat differently. I've been thinking of playing part of the campaign from his perspective as he uncovers Raszagal's secret and Kerrigan's ploy, but I'm not entirely certain yet.
    Damnit, now you've piqued my curiosity. More Aldaris is never a bad thing. How he never tells anyone about the Raszagal, leaves a note or an "email to all" is what irked me most about his death. Would be nice to have him shout it to the heavens for all to hear, only for no-one to believe him. To then have him still be killed would be an interesting twist (even moreso if it were by Protoss hands) should you have still have it that way. It would kind of make him a martyr in retrospect, which is way neater than using martyrdom as an excuse for plot armour in WoL.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

No, I think if anyone kills Al, it should be Kerrigan. That way if Zeratul kills Raszagal later, the two deaths aren't comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Damnit, now you've piqued my curiosity. More Aldaris is never a bad thing. How he never tells anyone about the Raszagal, leaves a note or an "email to all" is what irked me most about his death. Would be nice to have him shout it to the heavens for all to hear, only for no-one to believe him. To then have him still be killed would be an interesting twist (even moreso if it were by Protoss hands) should you have still have it that way. It would kind of make him a martyr in retrospect, which is way neater than using martyrdom as an excuse for plot armour in WoL.
    The major issue I have is that I'd like to keep the campaign consistently focused on one character, and that makes it difficult to follow Aldaris. For one thing, the consequences of his death are important, and for another he doesn't actually participate in much of the previous story. Giving him a playable mission to discover Kerrigan's secret is somewhat difficult as well.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

^ I guess this depends on whether you want to rewrite BW in it's entirety (which I thought was the deal) or want to keep the some of the plot points. It's a lot more freeing (writing-wised) for the former.

It has some elements of Brood War and some elements of Heart of the Swarm. I actually think I've talked to you about this idea before, but I can't be sure. From Brood War I'm keeping the evacuation of Aiur and Kerrigan's claiming of Raszagal (with the Aldaris subplot it entails) though the ultimate goal is killing Daggoth, not a second Overmind. From Heart of the Swarm I'm keeping Mengsk as the big bad and Kerrigan's desire for vengeance.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

Oh yeah, I remember you telling me the bones of it elsewhere where you were essentially melding BW and HotS into one thing given their similarities. You could easily focus on Aldaris' time spent on Shakuras - because that would force you to explore how the DT operate (unlike BW where we just gallavanted around the place picking up crystals to power some temple) and dig into Aldaris' reaction to all of that. Course, the missions would have to be limited to PvZ mostly and then moving toward PvP near the end. At the least, you could explain how the Temple became to be overrun again (if you intend to keep that part of the campaign that is) due to the infighting between Aldaris' followers/Khalai Protoss and the Nerazim.