Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rewriting StarCraft II

Default Re: Rewriting StarCraft II

Quote Originally Posted by LestersPetZergling
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade
    So... who wants to make a new campaign? ^^
    Well first off, who here has any experience with the editor?
    Gradius. Gradius does.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

I have a poor knowledge of the editor but I can help.
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 10-25-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Its too late to rewrite sc2, but we should work together on some sort of in-house campaign.

Probably too far from StarCraft's current scope, but I've always wanted to work on Earths conflicts prior to the deep space exile that led to the Koprulu Sector. I'm also inclined to work on parallel plot during the ending of the Brood War.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

KIckstarter? I'd pitch in 50$ or so at least.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    So... who wants to make a new campaign? ^^
    Well, I want to, I'm just really intimidated by the editor. It took me long enough to get familiarised with StarCraft's and WarCraft III's editors .
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

Its too late to rewrite sc2, but we should work together on some sort of in-house campaign.
    This was sort of my goal for this thread. I wanted to get attention, get some people to combine ideas and see where'd they'd go.

Probably too far from StarCraft's current scope, but I've always wanted to work on Earths conflicts prior to the deep space exile that led to the Koprulu Sector. I'm also inclined to work on parallel plot during the ending of the Brood War.
    I've always wanted to further chronicle the exploits of the UED, too, be it on the homefront or what's left of the expeditionary fleet. (I also have ideas for a UED-centric series of comics, but that's something else.)

My own goal was to create a campaign with improved atmosphere, be it for an armed terran rebellion, the mysterious protoss, or terrifying zerg. I've always been intrigued about how the UED got their information on the Koprulu Sector, whether they used Remote Viewing Ghosts, or had sleeper agents in Koprulu. (You can define "sleeper agent" however you want, too.) And I've been interested about the Cerebrates and what they would do when they realize their lives would soon be extinguished. Would they have set some failsafe or legacy plans?
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 10-25-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Hmm... I've got a bunch of ideas, a few of them good.
    The problem is that they're a little TOO complex for a video game, with a war between Duran and the Dark Mind in which Kerrigan, Ulrezaj, Tal-Darim are but pawns. Only, the leadership of the Tal-Darim is conspiring to overthrow Ulrezaj and restore a form of Khala to the Tal-Darim warriors. This actually furthers a plan of the Dark Mind.

Oh, and one of the reasons the Zerg were created was to be used as a way for the Xel Naga to communicate with the Dark Mind. It worked too well.

So, yeah. The above? It makes sense when fully expanded and explained, but would crash and burn if you tried it as a game narrative.

Anyhow, more down to Earth suggestions would be to continue off of Brood War.

-Mengsk returns home and rebuilds his empire. Because of his weak position, he is forced to band together with UED remnants and the Kel-Morian combine. For the longest time, he is little more than a figurehead, and he never recaptures the power he enjoyed as Emperor Mensk.

-The Psi Disruptor is not forgotten. Mengsk had infiltrators study the underpinnings of the Disruptor's workings, though this was rendered moot by the blueprints that the UED made. Many battlecruisers built after the Brood War have a miniaturized Psi Disruptor built into them, which has enough range to cover a small planet.

-The Psi Disruptor isn't nearly as effective as it used to be. Specialized Overlord strains and new ways of communicating make the Swarm more resilient. In addition, many Zerg breeds have been conditioned to treat a Disruptor much the same as they would treat a Psi Emitter: Converge and overwhelm.
    In short, the Psi Disruptor can disorient the Zerg momentarily, but no longer can they break Kerrigan's control.

-I like the idea of Raynor stepping down when he realizes that he's becoming the next Arcturus Mensk.
    Another good way to continue from Brood War is to have Raynor saving and uniting people in the immediate aftermath. You could have many of the same mission structures (Saving colonists from fragmented Zerg, fighting against Mengsk's overtasked forces) without some of the boneheadedness of the Wings of Liberty campaign.
    Instead of focusing on revenge for Raynor's story, have him focus on rebuilding.

-Ultimately, the great limiter on continuing from Brood War is that Kerrigan is undeniably the greatest power in the Korprulu Sector, and an invasion of the sector by her forces is an eminent possibility. That's why the Hybrids are so popular as a plot device; they're the only power with the interest to counter her. To whomever can make them a good addition to the story, the beer is on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirel View Post
    Ultimately, the great limiter on continuing from Brood War is that Kerrigan is undeniably the greatest power in the Korprulu Sector, and an invasion of the sector by her forces is an eminent possibility. That's why the Hybrids are so popular as a plot device; they're the only power with the interest to counter her. To whomever can make them a good addition to the story, the beer is on me.
    As much as I love the idea of rewriting Sc2, this is my biggest concern so far. If one were to keep the verisimilitude continuing on from what we had in BW, it's already implicit that everyone that is not Zerg will be screwed for good if the story continued from that point. I'd imagine we'd have to readdress/reinterpret some of the things in BW and pin them down before we can even start a proper rewrite of Sc2.

It's going to be even harder still if we're all gonna come together to do one vision of the thing because everyone who wants to get involved will have their own opinions on what constitutes a good/bad idea and general execution of the story. Good luck to whomever wants to the lead on this project!!
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    As much as I love the idea of rewriting Sc2, this is my biggest concern so far. If one were to keep the verisimilitude continuing on from what we had in BW, it's already implicit that everyone that is not Zerg will be screwed for good if the story continued from that point. I'd imagine we'd have to readdress/reinterpret some of the things in BW and pin them down before we can even start a proper rewrite of Sc2.
    It's part of the reason I usually start these ideas by rewriting Brood War .

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    It's going to be even harder still if we're all gonna come together to do one vision of the thing because everyone who wants to get involved will have their own opinions on what constitutes a good/bad idea and general execution of the story. Good luck to whomever wants to the lead on this project!!
    Quite true. The only times I've ever participated in a campaign project (this was back in WarCraft III) I only did so as a terrainer because I know I can get damned stubborn when it comes to what I understand as a good narrative .
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!