Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antiquated weapons in use in the Koprulu Sector

Default Re: Antiquated weapons in use in the Koprulu Sector

aaaaa
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-28-2014 at 01:03 PM.

I wouldn't want to try to kill myself with a half a thousand old gun... who knows what could go wrong.
    Guns are pretty easy to disassemble, clean and fix. DuGalle was the consummate military man; everything of his was in tip-top shape.

I'm sure he and Valerian would have got along great, actually.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

aaaaa
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-28-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LestersPetZergling View Post
    They could just look antique on purpose, to fool people into thinking that the weapons are weak. DuGalle's Luger wasn't probably intended as some special pistol, it was probably his main line of defense in his quarters. [Deception]
    Or they could be doing the smart, cheap thing, as shown by Elysium. Take an old gun that's reliable and easy to manufacture, and make it more lethal with high-tech ammunition.

That is quite correct. If I was in the Korpulu Sector, I would prefer a western revolver over a generic sci-fi pistol (e.g. a Mass Effect pistol).
    Hey, to be fair, those Mass Effect pistols are hardly pistols at all. I prefer to think of them as high-power compact carbines.

Though Raynor is portrayed as a godly Commander, yet in Joeyray's where anyone can find him he only carries his revolver. When Tychus walks in, he reaches for it. An old, antique weapon like that shouldn't be able to penetrate CMC. So it might be evidence that people just carry around what appears to be weak weaponry in order to fool people.
    The revolver is good enough for gunning down criminals, right?

I think that going after Raynor in Joey Ray's Bar would have been like going after Mohammed Farah Adid in Mogadishu. He had his own men on the lookout, the local citizenry were probably well-armed*, and he expected a warning if the Confederacy tried anything.
    So, when one of his subordinates recognizes Tychus and decides to sneak him in as a prank, the closest weapon Raynor had was one small enough to carry holstered on his unarmored person. The counter-defilade grenade launcher was behind the counter, where he couldn't get drunk and shoot the TV with it.

*Yes, I know there was a Confederate garrison nearby that had enslaved a small town. Let's put it this way: if an invading force were to try and occupy my hometown, we'd put up a good fight. I cannot say the same for the town I'm living in now, 150 miles away. Too many soft college kids and Apparatchik college professors.

Zerg carapaces are resilient to even modern Terran weaponry (in cinematics and gameplay, just look at the Brood War intro). Fringe Worlders would not take the risk of weaponry 5000 times weaker then that, given that Fringe Worlders will always be the first to be attacked. It would be more likely that Core Worlders would be walking around with cheap weaponry.
    What about cheap guns to shoot each other? Last I checked, Terrans are fleshy and completely lack a carapace.

I wouldn't want to try to kill myself with a half a thousand old gun... who knows what could go wrong.
    So long as it's been taken care of and the ammunition is still good, it'll do the job.

More likely, it's a replica. Still safe as hou... well, considering what you're doing with it, it's hardly 'safe' at all. But it ought to do the job.

Yep, this guy is a true Admiral Thrawn, as demonstrated by the events of Brood War...

But wait, was there any record of Charles_de_Gaulle having a Luger?
    If so, it would have been a war souvenir. The French used a bastardized version of a Browning design.

aaaaa
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-28-2014 at 01:05 PM.

TSCR's Avatar Junior Member

Well, what I'm saying did Metzen possibly intend for DuGalle to be De Gaulle's ancestor?
    If so then I wondered how he reached the 26th century. I didn't know there was time travel in StarCraft.
    Interested in the concept of storytelling in video games?

Please visit my blog where I analyse storytelling in video games.

Yes there is time travel, as seen here.

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/view...opic_id=405290

It's actually a part of the LoversCraft' expansion Dearest Helena, where DuGalle goes back in time and becomes his own grandfather. His handgun is actually a UEA time-travel device. He shoots himself with it, teleporting him into the past to survive the destruction of the UPL fleet. He arrives in the U.S.A, gets captured by the U.S. military and gets sent to Area 51, where he gets imprisoned along with Kissadar, a Protoss Praetor who served with Adun in the Aeon of Strife. From there, Dearest Helena begins...
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 08-24-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks for linking that, LPT. I honestly hadn't read that before. XD
    I've fought for the Terran revolution, I've seen the promise of the Protoss, and now I'm ready to join the might of the Swarm...

Going by old lore, small companies produce out of date stuff, and the big corporations are what bring the major technology like powered armor, shiny non-CRT monitors, etc (hence why insitutes like the military have that stuff; they can afford major contracts from the biggest corporations like CMC). Small companies make do with what they can and produce old things for standard consumers.

Fringe colonies are even poorer, and if they make their own stuff, they'll rig together a blunderbuss or something equally ancient like it. There's also rich people that like to collect antique stuff (ie. Dugalle). So, expect a gun shop on the street to sell hand made revolvers, a courier to deliver an impaler gauss rifle in armored car with an expensive down payment, and a colony outback to bang together a musket.

Going by new lore - It's cool, and rich people just like to collect antique stuff. Or the dominion is being evil, causing bad trickle down economics.

Well, what I'm saying did Metzen possibly intend for DuGalle to be De Gaulle's ancestor?
    No, it's just a reference. DuGalle, De Gaulle - get it? They're sorta the same guy. Blizz is blatant sometimes.

Though Raynor is portrayed as a godly Commander, yet in Joeyray's where anyone can find him he only carries his revolver. When Tychus walks in, he reaches for it. An old, antique weapon like that shouldn't be able to penetrate CMC. So it might be evidence that people just carry around what appears to be weak weaponry in order to fool people.
    How 'bout stop referencing plot holes in a shitty story.

PHINEY: Why does DuGalle have a Luger even though it's 2500? It makes no sense...
    METZEN: You're fired!
    So it's 1998 blizz's fault for not promoting Phiney? Dammit Morhaime!
    Last edited by solidsamurai; 09-04-2013 at 09:49 PM.

aaaaa
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-28-2014 at 01:05 PM.