Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antiquated weapons in use in the Koprulu Sector

Default Antiquated weapons in use in the Koprulu Sector

There are some antiquated weapons found in the games and the Expanded Universe, especially firearms. You know, Luger P08 in DuGalle's possession, a slugthrower in the "Amerigo" cinematic which actually looks like Beretta 92F, plus stuff from the novels like the blunderbuss, double-barreled shotguns and a musket.

What do you think about it? Are there any more guns like that in the SC universe? What "real life" guns do you think would fit in the game?
    My cousin zerglin' saw a Lester once.

Default Re: Antiquated weapons in use in the Koprulu Sector

aaaaa
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-28-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Any antique weaponry can be conceived to exist in that universe really. I wouldn't be surprised to see swords even.

It's not all about theatricality or deception for those who live in the outer fringe worlds, whereby this "ancient" weaponry is probably easier to make and maintain. Also, for those who are more privileged it's not all about practicality or usefulness either but just plain human nostalgia and a predilection for "ancient" history that makes them keep these "relics" around. Consider it's not just "antique" weaponry because we see instances of record players in Dugalle's case as well as jukeboxes and arcade game machines in Raynor's.

On a more prosaic note, these antique weapons are probably there only because the Terrans are written to be evocative of the space Western and as such, come with the obligatory trappings of the "days of future past" trope.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

aaaaa
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-28-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LestersPetZergling View Post
    Though Raynor is portrayed as a godly Commander, yet in Joeyray's where anyone can find him he only carries his revolver. When Tychus walks in, he reaches for it. An old, antique weapon like that shouldn't be able to penetrate CMC. So it might be evidence that people just carry around what appears to be weak weaponry in order to fool people.
    Keep in mind that Raynor is lying low in a backwater pub where one would normally expect ordinarily clothed people to come in, not in full CMC armour. That Tychus just happened to be walk in, wearing (or rather trapped in) one, doesn't mean Raynor was wearing the revolver to pretend to look weak - indeed, he'd look dangerous to most normal, plain clothed folk walking in.

In the 26th century, the leaps in technology (inb4 'lol but they lost their technology when they crashed') would make it ridiculous that antique weaponry is still in development. Zerg carapaces are resilient to even modern Terran weaponry (in cinematics and gameplay, just look at the Brood War intro). Fringe Worlders would not take the risk of weaponry 5000 times weaker then that, given that Fringe Worlders will always be the first to be attacked. It would be more likely that Core Worlders would be walking around with cheap weaponry.
    I tend to think of fringe worlders being less developed and less developed a la the Firefly universe. Such fringe worlders would have to use and rely on older technology because that's all they can realistically develop and maintain. It's probably also the reason why they would fall so quickly to the Zerg because they don't have the support and supplies granted to them like the core worlds would have.

Oh, and about swords in StarCraft...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu1969WQ5I0
    I don't get it. That video is about swords in Mass Effect.

Please stop posting stuff related to ME3 in SC-related threads. This game is an insult...

To answer one of my questions from the OP I guess Barrett M82 looks to some extent like Raynor's HEV rifle (AKA commando rifle).

Though Raynor is portrayed as a godly Commander, yet in Joeyray's where anyone can find him he only carries his revolver.
    Raynor's on Mar Sara, where he is recognizable. I don't think anyone would like to mess with him, he also stated that was so respected that he never had to use a gun during his tenure as a law enforcement unit.
    My cousin zerglin' saw a Lester once.

aaaaa
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-28-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Have you counted the sheer amount of similarities between ME and SC(2)?
    So what? I can count numerous similarities of Starcraft with any other science fiction property ever made as well.

Now if you notice at 3:19, the bullets don't effect the Hydralisk... except for those that hit its' eye. So subsonic weapons and antique firearms may have some use, but of course the Zerg are known for their numbers, so it would be likely that the weapon would be useless from reloading/jamming, slow-firing... and to hit a Zerg in its' eyes to penetrate the brain, would almost certainly require military training --
    Or you could just happen to be Raynor, the universe's most wanted yet somehow inexplicably untouchable man in existence. Given his godliness, all he ever needs is a revolver with one bullet.

Sitting alone in a bar with an antiquated revolver whilst the Dominion knows you're on the planet is ridiculous.
    Quite right, which means the only explanation for why Raynor is the way we find him in (alone with a 'peashooter') at the start of WoL is that he feels safe that the Dominion or anyone else can't really find him (bar Tychus for some reason). That or he's suicidal, which kinda then explains his bum rush of the Bucephalus later on.

aaaaa
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-28-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Quite right, which means the only explanation for why Raynor is the way we find him in (alone with a 'peashooter') at the start of WoL is that he feels safe that the Dominion or anyone else can't really find him (bar Tychus for some reason). That or he's suicidal, which kinda then explains his bum rush of the Bucephalus later on.
    I think that's explained (read: retconned) by Cooper's covert defection to the Dominion.

Why does DuGalle have a Luger even though it's 2500? It makes no sense...
    Why do family heirlooms get passed down from generation to generation? Why should anyone, video game character or not, have any sense of appreciation for history, or a soft-spot for a well-made weapon? Seems inhuman, don't it? :P
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.