Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

DonnyZeDoof's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: What Are You Reading?

The Stormlight Archive The Way of Kings

It's probably one of the biggest fantasy novels I've ever read. Have any of you read it before?

I'm looking for compilations of good horror/sci-fi/fantasy short stories, any suggestions?

If you lived in my town, I would insist that you come to my store. As is...uh? I don't really know any by name, but you can find things like "Year's Best SF" and "Writers of the Future" for contest winners. If you have a local Barnes and Noble, they probably have collected magazines, and from there you can look up the authors.

Nah, haven't read Stormlight Archine, Donny. I don't read much fiction these days. Right now I've been switching between science, military, and space books, as research for stories I want to write. Right now I'm working on The Writer's Guide to Weapons, which is okay so far, I guess. As for the space books...I really hate it when the writers try to get too dramatic with them, talking about emotional reactions in the astronauts and stuff like it's some kind of fiction story. I'm also reading Moon Shot right now, about the race to the moon, and it's hard to get started because the narrative is so dang goofy.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    I'm looking for compilations of good horror/sci-fi/fantasy short stories, any suggestions?
    Do you mean anything in those genres? Or a combination of those genres? Either way, a GoodReads search for 'something' Anthology is usually the best way to find these.

I've tried some 'Year's Best' but I've always been disappointed. Better to find some themed anthology with a theme you are into.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Banned

The Good

Dragon Age: Those Who Speak

Homeworld Manual

The Okay

Dead Space: Salvage

Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia

I still have yet to read Dead Space Salvage, will have to sometime later in April

I am reading "The Wrong Stuff", as research into the lives of fighter pilots.

...A word of warning. If you lose your virginity to a Mexican prostitute while your fiancee is waiting for you at home, don't put it in your book. Likewise, omit the part where you cheated on your wife with other prostitutes. Just saying.

"Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Banned

under the dome and in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    "Reave the Just" & Other Tales by Stephen R. Donaldson. A fantasy short story collection that, without spoiling anything: if you like Tolkien, you'll like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Reave-Other-T.../dp/0553110349

I ordered a book (The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Baker) in December from a third-party seller on Amazon, and it still hasn't arrived. I'm very annoyed, as it seemed like it'd be really good from the plot summary I read.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 05-10-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

That was like five months ago. You really need a refund, asap.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.