Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why didn't the Confederacy activate the Psi Disruptor when Mengsk released the Zerg?

TSCR's Avatar Junior Member

Default Why didn't the Confederacy activate the Psi Disruptor when Mengsk released the Zerg?

I pointed this out in my review of the The Iron Fist on my blog.

The Confederate capital was Tarsonis. Mengsk unleashed the zerg upon them by planting Psi Emitters on the orbital platform above it.

In Brood War, the Psi Disruptor is discovered on the surface of Tarsonis. Strangely the zerg haven't destroyed it.

Why didn't the Cofnederates activate it to save themselves from Mengsk? Was it activated but just not working properly or something (that would explain how it's still in one piece)?
    Interested in the concept of storytelling in video games?

Please visit my blog where I analyse storytelling in video games.

Default Re: Why didn't the Confederacy activate the Psi Disruptor when Mengsk released the Ze

Brood war is known for having a bunch of plot holes. Though this could be hand waved in saying the psi-disruptor was either experimental and unusable or unstable (ie. they were afraid it might drive their valued ghosts insane, so the army demilitarizes it) - and somehow defended from the zerg during the destruction of the capitol, etc., etc.

That, or the psi-disruptor was planted there later on, using zerg-ripe Tarsonis as a testing ground. The confederacy didn't fall immediately after the tarsonis invasion, nor was it dead after Mengsk's coronation. It was only weakened until it became impotent on the interstellar theater.

It could've also been a recent development during the invasion, kept under wraps and tied up in corporate level bureacracy that tarsonis didn't bother to penetrate and none of high command or the old families bothered to think of.

The ladder probably makes the most sense.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by solidsamurai; 06-02-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Default Re: Why didn't the Confederacy activate the Psi Disruptor when Mengsk released the Ze

It could've also been a recent development during the invasion, kept under wraps and tied up in corporate level bureacracy that tarsonis didn't bother to penetrate and none of high command or the old families bothered to think of.
    This makes the most sense to me. TBH I think the Psi Disruptor was always on Tarsonis and that's why Mengsk was never able to find it.

I can give you a reason. Psi Emitters require psionics to amplify their signal. Remember how the Psi Disruptor was active, and how Kerrigan regained control of Zerg on Braxis? PSI EMITTERS! And what was on Tarsonis? Psi Emitters! But about what I said before, maybe the Psi Disruptor requires psionics to maintain it. And what is in the name? PSI DISRUPTOR. So maybe the Confederates couldn't use it because it would knock out their psionics' capabilities. But the UED with their advanced technology, managed to circumvent this.

If it was experimental and never activated, then I don't think it would distinguish between Terran and Zerg psionics. Since all Korpulu Terrans are minor psionics, the Confederacy would probably be doing bad stuff to themselves if they activated it. A la the Crucible and Catalyst in Mass Effect 3.

Also, do you notice how many Zerg are protecting the Psi Disruptor? It's possible that the Overmind learned of it from assimilating Terrans or such. So, it was the first thing he went to as soon as the Swarm arrived on Tarsonis. Why he didn't destroy it, is another matter. It's also possible the Dominion thought it was just another military installation and disabled it, like the Ion Cannon.

I have to say it is quite similar to the Ion Cannon. Everyone asks why that wasn't used in the battle. Of course, the Ion Cannon was probably an anti-capital ship (Battlecruisers etc) weapon; so it was probably knocked out by a Wraith strike (probably Harley and his squadron does it in the Open Rebellion cinematic), or by Duke's ground-force. Or, it's quite likely the Ion Cannon was orbiting Tarsonis from the other side of where the Zerg and SoK attacked; making it useless (but on the same-side where Raynor's fleet was).
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 06-02-2013 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LestersPetZergling View Post
    I can give you a reason. Psi Emitters require psionics to amplify their signal. Remember how the Psi Disruptor was active, and how Kerrigan regained control of Zerg on Braxis? PSI EMITTERS! And what was on Tarsonis? Psi Emitters!
    Actually Raynor had to disable the Psi Disrupto's power before Kerrigan could regain control of any brood so I think Psi Disruptor > Psi Emitter.

I guess your theory could work but it makes the UED look more omniscient.

If it was completely out of commission, then how come Kerrigan needed Psi Emitters to retake control of a couple of Zerg? Still, I think my other theories are more likely.

But another theory is that the Confederacy was completely decadent, bureaucratic, corrupt and incompetent. They were run by the Old Families, of course. So they were probably arrogant enough to not take the Zerg seriously; since they were grooming them as weapons.

Another reason? A conspiracy.

Maybe Duran planted it there. Maybe since Duran is a millennia old Psionic, he could read DuGalle and Stukov's mind. He could anticipate their opinions on the Psi Disruptor; probably based on their personalities. He would know Stukov would protect the Disruptor, and DuGalle would be arrogant, thinking he wouldn't need it.

I think this plays into Duran being the ultimate mastermind of Brood War and Kerrigan just being a pawn who thinks she was the master manipulator.
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 06-02-2013 at 03:39 AM.

If it was completely out of commission, then how come Kerrigan needed Psi Emitters to retake control of a couple of Zerg? Still, I think my other theories are more likely.
    It wasn't completely out of commision, it just wasn't recieving as much power so I presume it's signal was weakened after Raynor cut the power. I guess that means that a full powered Psi Disruptor would override any Psi Emitter.

Yeah but it looks like we only have theories to explain this so I guess it's a plot hole. I was just asking because I thought somebody might have a plausible explanation for this. TBH I've never seen anyone ask this question before.

Yep. The Psi Disruptor, Ion Cannon, there's no explanation for any of it.

Also, the Ion Cannon and the last mission of Rebel Yell has been retconned out. The Psi Disruptor might not even exist in lore now.

Another reason? A conspiracy.

Maybe Duran planted it there. Maybe since Duran is a millennia old Psionic, he could read DuGalle and Stukov's mind. He could anticipate their opinions on the Psi Disruptor; probably based on their personalities. He would know Stukov would protect the Disruptor, and DuGalle would be arrogant, thinking he wouldn't need it.

I think this plays into Duran being the ultimate mastermind of Brood War and Kerrigan just being a pawn who thinks she was the master manipulator.
    I like this theory but I doubt we'll get an explanation like this.

Yep. The Psi Disruptor, Ion Cannon, there's no explanation for any of it.

Also, the Ion Cannon and the last mission of Rebel Yell has been retconned out. The Psi Disruptor might not even exist in lore now.
    Sometimes I wish Anonymous would hack companies for bad writing