Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aldaris just warped to safety when Kerrigan attacked him.

Default Aldaris just warped to safety when Kerrigan attacked him.

aaaaa
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-28-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Default Re: Aldaris just warped to safety when Kerrigan attacked him.

No. Just no.

With the first two, Tassadar was foreshadowed, and Stukov was resurrected back in RIV, 13 years prior. Aldaris is without precedent, not to mention that I doubt Artanis and co. would be peaved at Kerrigan if they didn't have a body before them. And if LotV has pro-Conclave protoss, Nahaan is the protoss to lead them. He has both means and motive, unlike Aldaris, who has the distinct disadvantage of being dead.
    Last edited by Hawki; 05-25-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Heh, if there was ever going to be another resurrected character it'll most likely be Fenix (his name says it all) or the Overmind (see Tassadar) since they have a more reasonable out.

Then again, going with the pattern of WoL having a character from Sc1 brought back and HotS having a character from BW brought back, we might actually see Tychus (a WoL character) coming back in LotV.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

No, please! Not Fenix! You can't take my Fenix from me! I have the ashes, you can't take a flame to them! Noooo!

Still, that Stukov was returned in RIV aside, the pattern holds up in a sense. Though if I had to pick a character from WoL to bring back, I'd choose Karass - he has the means (teleportation), he has the precedent (Fenix, as in, he was also recovered from the zerg), and has the motivation (anti-Kerrigan, which could spark internal conflict with Zeratul). Course he'd likely be hanging out on Ulaan this entire time or whatnot, but hey, take what you can get.

aaaaa
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-28-2014 at 01:40 PM.

I'd certainly love to see the cerebrates in some form or another. Not as part of Kerrigan's Swarm, but out there akin to Kaloth's New Swarm, wanting to take the zerg back to the "good ol days." Still, that's unlikely to happen according to Phil Gonzo - you can thank Games Workshop for that.

Nahaan leads the Ara Tribe now. If Aldaris were alive, he'd kick Nahaan off the council.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I think they should bring back Zeratul.

The old Zeratul.

The one that died without Blizzard telling us.

Barring that, I really hope the Overmind returns. The humanization of the Zerg that Blizzard has been doing with Kerrigan needs to be erased, and bringing back something like the Overmind would be the perfect first step.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    I think they should bring back Zeratul.

The old Zeratul.

The one that died without Blizzard telling us.
    Heh, I can imagine this as being the big plot twist in LotV. It's kinda sad in some ways that with what we have of Sc2 now, this could be a distinct possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Barring that, I really hope the Overmind returns. The humanization of the Zerg that Blizzard has been doing with Kerrigan needs to be erased, and bringing back something like the Overmind would be the perfect first step.
    I like the idea of the Overmind coming back but it kinda cuts both ways. On the other hand, it can feel too much like a rehash - it'll be the third time now and with the re-establishment of the initial stauts quo, it may feel like all that happened up to that point was a waste of time. There is also the possibility that the Zerg identity may still be different because of the retcon that the Overmind we see in Sc1 was not really the real Overmind because of the DV's influence. If brought back, the real Overmind revealed in LotV could just as well be rewritten with a more humanised bent.

The benefit of having the Overmind would benefit those Raynor & Kerrigan shippers (I don't care one way or the other) because it potentially allows the release of Kerrigan from the Swarm so that Raynor and Kerrigan can ride off into the sunset.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Reverse zerg humanization/increase hegemony = no.

Bring back Overmind = Something I wouldn't mind in principle. Key word being principle however, because it's the principle that could have been in HotS under the old storyline concepts, and that's the issue of dissention, of what the Swarm was (SC1) compared to what it became under Kerrigan, and if it isn't to be explored in SC2, then is a potential plot point for future storylines. The type of question that's technically generated inter-Swarm conflict (Brood War, Kaloth's New Swarm, the old Abathur concept, etc.), but never been explored confrontationally (Kerrigan never confronted Daggoth in BW, no guarantee she was even aware of the New Swarm, etc.). In essence, while it's an angle that could be explored, bringing back the Overmind isn't necessary to do it.

Zeratul = I never had a problem with SC2 Zeratul - considering everything he experienced during BW and in the intervening years, his persona always felt natural to me in the context. I'd have nothing against him regaining some of his old persona, but I wouldn't want it all the way back, otherwise it's full fledged character reversion.

Edit: I've just realized I haven't fully weighed in on the 'resurrection game.'

Alright, maybe it isn't a game per se, but if theEconomist gets to suggest a 'ressurection,' then we should all get the same privilige. And deciding to abuse that privilige, I'll post "requested resurrections"...and I need something to procrastinate with.

Terrans

Character: Lio Travski

Concievability: Yeah, well, his 'death' (if you can call it that) was never something explicit (IIRC). Actually, it's not something I particuarly want, but off the top of my head, his is a fate that is left ambiguous enough to pursue.

Rationale: I projected ages ago that in a hypothetical SC3, it should take an approach similar to The Frozen Throne, where each playable race has its own arc that's effectively seperate from each other. Protoss would explore the Dae'Uhl plot point. Zerg could concievably go down the "essence" plot point (see Kaloth below). Terrans are unfortunately stuck with the UED, but it makes the most sense at the end of the day. Yeah, I don't particuarly care for the UED and see no reason for them to return, but hey, it's been set up, so we may as well deal with it.

The reason I bring Lio up is that he brings up something that is quintiscentially terran, namely the idea of artificial intelligence. Alright, the protoss use AIs as well, but they're crystal based, and dragoons, Stalkers and Immortals are still quintiscentially protoss in psychology. I think Lio's a few zeroes short of a full code in Spectres, but the concept of human evolution/artificial intelligence is something that can be explored potentially. Not really sure how you could make a full story out of it though, game or otherwise, but if such a story is done, then it makes sense for Lio to do it. Has more rationale if you bring Pelagius into things.

Honourable Mention: Doran Routhe

Rationale: Kind of a gimp, but confirm that he's a shapeshifter and the same individual as Samir Duran and/or Emil Narud. Do it. DO IT. DOOO ITT!!!!

Zerg

Character: Kaloth

Concievability: Death was never observed, and while we've had a blanket statement that all the cerebrates are dead, it's just that - a blanket statement. It's easy to make exceptions.

Rationale: Assuming that the dynamic of the zerg doesn't change from its HotS form (as in, far more concentration on individuality in the chain of command), Kaloth is a pre-existing character that can serve as a foil to Kerrigan. Kerrigan is an individualistic character with individualistic individuals, ruling a zerg Swarm with primal zerg in the mix. Kaloth is a character that, at least concievably, seems to harken back to the Overmind/cerebrate command structure (hence the "New Swarm," a system that championed the collective and would have erradicated the primal zerg on general principle. It's a conflict that's kind of been touched upon in BW and HotS, but never fully explored.

Honourable Mention: Nargil

Concievability: Same as above, except less plausible (in that Nargil already existed pre-BW)

Rationale: I'm still pursuing the cerebrate angle, so cutting out all the named cerebrates that are known to have been killed, of the ones remaining, Nargil is the most interesting to me personally (and had the added bonus of appearing in Insurrection), and could go a different route than Kaloth. Kaloth keeps to the idea of the Swarm as a whole, Nargil meanwhile does its own thing all over the galaxy. That raises possibilities at the least. But still, I'd go with Kaloth.

Protoss

Character: Nyon

Concievability: That it isn't actually compulsory to destroy his mothership aside, there's numerous ways he could have concievably survived (teleportation, escape pods, etc.)

Rationale: I...I'm probably going to be ganked for this but I like the Tal'darim. In principle. Protoss worshiping xel'naga as literal gods, and having different branches with differing philosophies, it's something that feels natural to the protoss, a type of group that makes sense in its existance, taking existing protoss spirituality and beliefs to an understandable extreme. In practice though...well, there's Nyon. In SC1, Aldaris is what I call "smart stupid." We know he's wrong in his convictions, but we understand why those convictions are held. Nyon has his convictions - xel'naga are gods, terrans are jackasses for taking his artifacts, etc. We know his convictions, but unlike Aldaris, don't understand them. Why does he believe what he does? Why does he see the xel'naga as literal gods when most protoss (at least seem to) understand that hyper-advanced aliens aren't necessarily deities? Why...well, you get the idea. Unfortunately, we never get those answers in WoL. It's kind of understandable in that it's a terran story, but still, could have thrown us a bone I guess.

If you read the take on LotV I did, I brought a character named "Lhassir" in, which was Nyon's development name. But since we're projecting resurrections here, I wouldn't mind Nyon coming back. Interacting with Zeratul in SMS, which would be an opportunity to fill us in on his persona, his beliefs, his rationale for his actions, etc. Again, it's a position any Tal'darim could fill (if you haven't guessed by now, yes, I really want a Tal'darim ally in LotV), but Nyon's persona in WoL could still be a form of character development if done correctly.

Honourable Mention: Zamara

Concievability/Rationale: Well, come on. She's stuck in a crystal. With Ulrezaj admittedly, but still, come on. Liked her character, and after being betrayed by Leah, Jake probably needs a buddy right now. Apart from Dahl.
    Last edited by Hawki; 05-26-2013 at 07:32 AM.