Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E3 2013: Hopes, Fears, and Projections

Default E3 2013: Hopes, Fears, and Projections

So, with E3 coming up, thought it might be time to start a discussion because...well, we need something to talk about. Anyway, wondering about people's thoughts/hopes/fears for the expo. Cutting to the chase and not dragging this on for thousands of words (which is what happened originally), sorting certain games (not all of them confirmed to be there, but I'm listing some games that I think have a good chance of being showcased) into four levels of expectation:

Highly Interested

Destiny

Killzone: Shadow Fall

WildStar

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past sequel (gimme a name!)

Sonic Lost World (while I prefer the style and tone of the Adventure-era games, and the gameplay of the 2D games, I rank this as "highly interested" if only because it's the closest thing we'll ever get to a playable version of Sonic X-Treme)

Slightly Interested

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Deep Down

Killzone: Mercenary

Dragon Age III: Inquisition

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (but only because "Fire Emblem" is in the title)

Titan

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

The Last of Us (can hopefully allay misgivings enough to put it into the above category)

Final Fantasy ? (in that I've been meaning to get into at least one Final Fantasy series, and this could help me with that)

Pokemon X/Y (I don't know why, but something about Gen VI appeals to me more than the past 3)

South Park: The Stick of Truth (very slight interest - I like South Park, but I'm more interested in Obsidian's work on Eternity and, providing it hasn't been scrapped, their The Wheel of Time game)

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

Halo: Bootcamp

Lords of the Fallen

Meh

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Batman: Arkham Origins (after Arrow, become more of a Green Arrow fan)

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag (so far only gone for novelizations, so the game itself is "meh," even if I like the universe)

The Elder Scrolls Online

The Evil Within

Castlevania 2: Lords of Shadow

Spunkgargleweewee

Disney Infinity

Battlefield 4 (though please prove me wrong)

Quantum Break (could be alleviated if it can convince me that they're putting the game first)

Ryse

The Xbox One as a whole unless they actually make good on their word that it's still a games console at the end of the day
    Last edited by Hawki; 06-01-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Default Re: E3 2013: Hopes, Fears, and Projections

Dragon Age 3 makes me feel so sad. After DA2, ME3, and SWTOR... I just can't trust Bioware anymore.

And its truly weird that Wildstar looks more appealing then ESO. Player Housing is such a huge deal.

I admit, why I know Bioware's reputation has taken a beating in recent years, there's only so much that can impact on me directly. The ending of Mass Effect 3 was a letdown, but I've come to look on it more favourably in recent times, and they did release the extended cut. Or maybe because Sonic Chronicles had already jaded me. Still, I'm hoping that DA3 is a good game for the industry's sake and Bioware's.

As for WildStar, comparing it to TSO, I'll put it this way. It's cartoony, lighthearted, simple, and doesn't take itself seriously. And I love it for it.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

while I prefer the style and tone of the Adventure-era games
    You're known for odd ball opinions but I'm pretty sure you're the only gamer on the entire planet with this gem of one.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Dragon Age is boring. A million items, spells, abilities you need to go through. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat. A generic fantasy world. I'm only 2 hours in, but I really hope it gets better. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Dragon Age is boring. A million items, spells, abilities you need to go through. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat. A generic fantasy world. I'm only 2 hours in, but I really hope it gets better. :P
    The depth of the items and skills is part of the hard RPG appeal. The world is generic fantasy, but very fleshed out with its own unique quirks, and the characters are memorable and engaging. Just keep going, its worth it. Just don't bother with DA2, they royally slaughtered the franchise. Origins + Awakening or nothin.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist
    You're known for odd ball opinions but I'm pretty sure you're the only gamer on the entire planet with this gem of one.
    Um, no. From my experience within the fanbase, SA1 and 2 are looked on very favourably. There's a reason why people have always clamoured for a "Sonic Adventure 3," even when we've had spiritual successors of varying success.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius
    A generic fantasy world. I'm only 2 hours in, but I really hope it gets better. :P
    I'm not questioning the statement, but I have to wonder...I bring up Dragon Age, and simultaniously, you've only just started?

...spooky.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid
    Just don't bother with DA2, they royally slaughtered the franchise. Origins + Awakening or nothin.
    What about Journeys and Legends?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    What about Journeys and Legends?
    Ugh. Not even once.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    A generic fantasy world. I'm only 2 hours in, but I really hope it gets better. :P
    On the "generic fantasy world" front, it won't get that much better really. You're better off trying to form an attachment to some of your companions.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

There's a reason why people have always clamoured for a "Sonic Adventure 3," even when we've had spiritual successors of varying success.
    Because until very, very, very recently (2009 or 2011 depending on who you ask) the SA games were the only good 3D sonic games. I've frequented Sonic forums and posed on a lot of Sonic news article comments related to releases. Never have I seen someone who prefers the SA "style and tone" to the classics. The "style and tone" of SA onward is pretty much just a crappy Saturday mornign cartooon from the 80's, complete with dozens of superfluous characters that no one cares about. SA might as well be the He-Man cartoons and the classics might as well be the real, deal Conan the Barbarian for all the silliness introduced in the SA games. No, Hawki, people driving cars down San Francisco do not belong in a Sonic game.

Ask anyone what they think is wrong with the Sonic universe today and they'll list a bunch of things that were added in SA. Especially the characters. I've even seen a view YouTube videos on this, you should look them up if you really care.

---

@Gradius: It's definitely a difficult game. I set out with every intention of completing the game on Hard mode but had to switch to normal around half-way and even got bored enough with te the pace to put it on easy. Definitely a thinking man's RPG.

It is also pretty generic, just like all of BioWare's stories, but it also has its charms, like all BioWare stories. Like DSquid, said, it's a very fleshed out world which makes it interesting. I haven't played DA2 though, or even Awakening. I tried to do as much as I could in the original which gave me a bout 60 hours of gameplay, not including the ten or so I spent reloading, and then all the DLC which was a couple dozen hours more. This was probably a year or two ago and I have yet to get the urge to play it anymore.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 06-03-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.