Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Story - Frenzy

Default Short Story - Frenzy

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/lor...ories/frenzy/1

Kimera deserves the credit for alerting me to the story via the SC wiki. However, I can take solace for guessing correctly earlier that it would be a mutalisk-centric story and lo and behold, it is.

Default Re: Short Story - Frenzy

Cool one again. I have some trouble picturing the mutas all flying conveniently above the spire, but this may just be me. The writers are again going out of their way to make references to the other games. Happy ending this time, which is fine, alternating between happy and downer endings makes the story less predictable, which is a big plus.
    I'm crossing my fingers for the ultralisks as the next one =)

Haven't read it myself yet, but it's also been my guess in the past, and still is now, that ultralisks will be the focus of the next fic.

There's something else I'm wondering about though. My assumption was originally that there'd be five HotS stories, based on the no. of weeks leading up to the game's release, and that we got five Diablo short stories in the lead-up to D3. Yet there's four log entries yet to be filled on the Blackstone site, and so far, they've each corresponded to a short story. So after the ultralisk, there'd hypothethically be three entries to fill.

Course this is probably wishful thinking on my part, but perhaps we'll get a total of 8 HotS stories. After all, we got a total of 7 WoL ones. So in the event we get more, and it goes beyond the ultralisk into post-BW territory, guessing the roach will be one, maybe the nydus worm another, and...the queen, maybe? I dunno, trying to go with the more iconic units as opposed to, say, the overlord (how'd you make a story about that?)

And would it kill the writers to include the protoss in at least one of the stories? Please?

This story, by far, was the most fun to read and not because it features my beloved Mutas.

Sure, the ending was a bit too convenient but the rollicking momentum of the story pretty much made up for it. I kinda laughed (in a good way) at the story's in-game references to Muta's disintegration upon death and muta stacking. Not too sure about the explanation of their main weapon as an ovipositor though - I didn't know glaive wurms were eggs...

Speaking of eggs, this story confirms that there are chickens (what with Rin eating an egg-salad that came from real chickens apparently) in the Koprulu sector. I wonder why Doran Routh found it a priority to store such animals along with a bunch of criminals in those supercarriers so long ago...
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Technically chickens were confirmed to be in the K-sector way back in Devils' Due. As for stocking animals (chickens, cats, dogs, cows, various other animals having appeared over the years), it would provide lifestock and/or companionship. Whatever life may have been on Gantris VI would have been a moot point as soon as the supercarriers went past it. The K-sector may be the Australia of the galaxy, but even the convicts got to take lifestock with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    As for stocking animals (chickens, cats, dogs, cows, various other animals having appeared over the years), it would provide lifestock and/or companionship.
    The question still stands to why criminals would be afforded such luxury items. Not to mention that livestock of any kind would've needed their own cryogenic suspension if they were to ever survive the trip, wasting precious space and money to accommodate them on the ship. There would have had to have been tons of livestock as well if they were to be used as food because who knows whether such animals could survive on alien planets and whether the reanimated Terrans would'nt have just quickly devoured all of them whilst trying to setup a foothold on their newly colonised planets.

Zoar's Avatar Junior Member

they probably took them along in the form of thousands of fertilized eggs in cryo
    much easier than taking actual animals along

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    I kinda laughed (in a good way) at the story's in-game references to Muta's disintegration upon death and muta stacking
    Oh, I got the part about mutalisk stacking, but I didn't realize that this acid stuff was why the mutalisks would explode when marines shoot them. Not bad. There already was a reference to mutalisks bleeding acid in Speed of Darkness ten years ago.

This is literally the plot of the movie Jaws. The "We're gonna need more Goliaths" line was just shoehorned in as a reference to "You're gonna need a bigger boat." This is literally Jaws/Starcraft crossover fanfiction.
    Last edited by Robear; 03-01-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    This is literally the plot of the movie Jaws. The "We're gonna need more Goliaths" line was just shoehorned in as a reference to "You're gonna need a bigger boat." This is literally Jaws/Starcraft crossover fanfiction.
    What? After all this time, only now you expect something unique from Starcraft?