Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: January 17 Heart of the Swarm Press Event

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: January 17 Heart of the Swarm Press Event

That gameplay video was damn good. The Battlecruiser falling into the city has all the makings of epicness. Then again, the video just before release of WoL was mind-blowing but we know how the game turned out.

Hopefully, we didn't just get half the game spoiled like last time. Either way, still can't wait for release, despite my better judgment (story-wise, not game play, of course.)
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 01-22-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

You want me to spoil the other half?
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

If you don't mind me taking my pound of flesh for revenge, sure, why not.

PS: I already know Zeratul dies.

Zeratul dies? Noooooo!

I was going to say that Kerrigan is a man and shim is your faaaaaaaather!
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

Jeez, Gifted if you're going to spoil it, go all the way. Guys, Zeratul is a figment of Raynor's drunken imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Jeez, Gifted if you're going to spoil it, go all the way. Guys, Zeratul is a figment of Raynor's drunken imagination.
    Actually, it's Raynor who is a figment of Zeratul's drunken imagination. How he drank alcohol with no mouth is a plot hole Blizzard accidentally created.
    Last edited by mr. peasant; 01-22-2013 at 09:58 AM.

As with all press events, lots of information to take in. Might come back again and change my mind once I fully digest everything. But in the mean time:

The Opening Cinematic:
    I think it goes without saying that it looks wonderfully epic and engaging; and thus an excellent way to start off the expansion and getting the player pumped. However, what I'm now wondering is whether it had been cobbled together from bits of the "leaked ending" that got out some time back - specifically the models and assets. If so, I wonder if this might mean that Blizzard has elected to change the ending of the game.

Campaign Structure:
    While quite a drastic move, I think Blizzard's decision to make all missions compulsory for completion is a step in the right direction. This way, they will have a better idea of what the player already knows and when; which should allow Blizzard to better incorporate those disparate elements into the end game missions (i.e. having the various subplots tie together and become relevant to the main plot). Now, I'm wondering if there will be any added restrictions involved in mission choice (i.e. choosing to do Mission A before Mission 1 prevents your from doing Mission 1 until after you've completed Missions B and C) or if there will be the same amount of flexibility and freedom as in WoL. If the latter, then I'm once again concern that the need for a stable status quo will once again impinge on the plot/Kerrigan's situation from changing during the middle section of the campaign; as happened with Raynor and WoL.

Leviathan Set-piece:
    Not much has changed here since we last saw Kerrigan's equivalent to the Hyperion. And as I criticised before, I feel that it looks far too posed and unrealistic; with the characters all standing around doing nothing. Plus, it does not quite achieve Blizzard's stated goals for improving it for HotS; for reasons I've previously stated.

Evolution Mechanic:
    Don't think there's been much change since we last saw; just with a little more detail as to what exactly an evolution mission is. From the sounds of it, they sound interesting enough, so long as Blizzard is able to keep them unique and they don't wind up eating into resources that would have otherwise have been spent on making good story missions.

Brood Mother Mission:
    I think this mission sounds really exciting and my interest has definitely been intrigued; especially with regards to Kerrigan's intentions for doing so. Also, I hope the Protoss character they use isn't just a one off who appears for that one mission (and perhaps the one before); but an actual character who gets to interact with Kerrigan for some time prior to getting killed off. On a more cynical note: I wonder how or if Blizzard will later come around and try to give a rationalisation for how they can still classify Kerrigan as fundamentally good despite doing what she did above, much the way they absolved her of the billions she killed whilst infested and living as the "Queen of Blades".

Hero Progression and Abilities:
    Looks a lot more streamlined with fewer choices than in the last public release. I'm assuming that the player will be only allowed to pick one new ability for each tier s/he unlocks. On the plus side, all the abilities are firmly entrenched in the Zerg aspect of Kerrigan, rather than some of the more Terran-inspired abilities found in the last one. I notice lots of passives that are used to improve the swarm as a whole; which again feels Zerg-esque and more importantly, makes sense to be included for someone who's being touted as the leader of the Zerg Swarm.

Now, my hope is that for each ability that the player chooses (or alternatively, for each tier that the player unlocks), Kerrigan's model will receive an accompanying visual upgrade. For instance, choosing Kinetic Blasts creates a permanent glowing effect around Kerrigan's hands or (if going for tier-based modifcations) hitting Level 60 causes Kerrigan to regain her wings. It seems like too obvious - and visually interesting - a feature not to be implemented.

Overall:
    Bar the Battle.net screen, the aesthetics and UI interfaces being used in HotS seem suitably Zerg-esque. Can't really complain in that regard. Likewise, the mission objective mechanics/gimmicks released thus far sound suitably interesting; though I don't think there was any doubt that the HotS campaign's gameplay was going to be interesting and imaginative, and probably well executed much like in WoL. As before, I still have my reservations in the story mechanics Blizzard will be employing but most of the problems are holdovers from WoL and the changes/steps Blizzard has taken seem, at least on paper, to be in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    PS: I already know Zeratul dies.
    I swear I believed it for a moment and got very angry at you for the spoiler. Now I realized I was fooled and I'm angrier.

On this topic, I'd like to ask people not to talk openly about what happens in the leaked ending cinematic without spoiler alerts. BNet forum bitches (specially their king bitch) do that all the time.

(BTW, I think the Blizzcon trailer already spoilered half the game, just like WoL's trailer - not opening cinematic - did)

Watched the videos. Lessara dies I thought she would become friends with Kerrigan or something like that. But it is the kind of grittiness we've been asking since WoL's release. I really like how the "warp out" looks like. I don't like how it seems like she is of Kerrigan's size. When did they decide that Protoss aren't giants anymore?

The cinematic is beautiful. The vikings, the leviathan, the sac pumping like an abomination's heart as Kerrigans starts to narrate, the siege tank fighting in the alley, the campal battle, everything is so damn beautiful. I loved Kerrigan's expressions. A great improvement in comparison to the cinematic where she fights Zeratul.
    Last edited by TcheQuevara; 01-22-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Dat. Viking.

Watched the videos. Lessara dies I thought she would become friends with Kerrigan or something like that.
    Yeah, I was disappointed too; I get the impression that maybe Lesara's role was maybe toned down. Oh well.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Yea, when I watched the viking landing, I thought: "That guy is a complete idiot." *ultralisks tosses the viking away* "Serves you right!"