Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Over the Transom', a memoir by Eugene Uttley.

Default Re: 'Over the Transom', a memoir by Eugene Uttley.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Good, I was worried about the voice that told me to kill some backwater African in my neighborhood.

If you really want to understand your revelations, research Dopamine and the effects it has on your perception of reality. That's really all most mental illnesses are.
    I am choosing to accept them as spiritual, as rationalistically naive that may be. It's given me comfort and made me feel happy for a change (as whingy as that sounds; when you deal with something as terrible as mental illness, you reserve to right to be a bit bitchy about it :P), and for that I am grateful. Indeed, my psychotic symptoms have all vanished since. Not sure what to make of that.

But enough about me. I strongly recommend anyone interested in mental illness and human psychology read this book. It can be a bit confusing at times, but it truly helped me come to terms with my own mental state, and I'm sure those unafflicted by mental illness could learn something about a new, unusual perspective on life from it.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 12-01-2012 at 05:12 AM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Well, then I guess all I'll say is good luck.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I thank you for your well-wishes, and return them in kind.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    If you really want to understand your revelations, research Dopamine and the effects it has on your perception of reality. That's really all most mental illnesses are.
    I don't think so - schizophrenia is imagination and fear actualization running away with itself.

Ordinarily, envisioning fear inducing scenarios (fight or flight, etc.) is a mechanism of the human brain and part of planning, but I believe schizophrenia messes with this.

The brain is chemical, but not all of the brain depends entirely on the chemicals - chemicals that you're referring to are more of an auxiliary to the brain to facillitate certain things (endorphins, dopamine to keep your focused, serotonin to induce confidence and optimism or whatever, etc.).

This is all my own opinion though (reading that google doc), I haven't actually studied psychology/psychiatry at all (though I sorta want to).
    ----

That said, I guess I'm very greatful that I've only got aspergers (the social disorder) and not full blown schizophrenia.

Hope you continue to stay safe and functional muspelli.

Indeed, my psychotic symptoms have all vanished since. Not sure what to make of that.
    Probably a result of keeping calm and not feeling like you have to do something about it. Going psycho is probably when you become determistically evil from determinism (like, if I were psycho, it'd be a result of me feeling like I had to be responsible for lots of things and was simultaneously so afraid that all sense of shame disappears). Degrees of shame are a good part of what keeps all of us sane (as long as it doesn't tie you down too much). :P
    Last edited by solidsamurai; 12-08-2012 at 10:02 PM.