Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D version of the unit reference pictures

Default Re: 3D version of the unit reference pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Kindregan mentioned the banshee had a separate engine for flying through space. Is that what the side-pods are?
    Definitely, I would say. The Card to Play Banshees seem to be doing maneuvers that require jet engines while making jet engine noises. Plus all the engine glows from those side pods.

They all seem to have a single trail from only the one engine/side. Is it a contrail from the engine, and they just fly by fast enough that only one particle effect was used, or is it a smoke trail from where the rockets were launched?

And I'm pretty sure that's a turbine in there (which doesn't make sense for a space engine anyway, but, hey, that's what they've been doing.)

6 down, ~6 to go.

Last edited by Robear; 12-01-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Can't wait to see your battlecruiser.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Alright, yeah, let's talk Battlecruisers, before I start modeling them and then have to change things. Let's figure out the Minotaur.

In my version of things, the Behemoth Battlecruiser, at over a kilometer long, has at least 8 hangars behind the 'hammerhead,' each tall enough to fit a dropship. There may be other hangars, (notice the lit-up areas on the backside of the wings), but that's how big it is.

This alternate Behemoth battlecruiser either instead or in addition has a large opening underneath the hammerhead, and presumably much of the underside of the neck is a hollow large open area for storing tanks and troops and aircraft and such. (I like this design, but it doesn't really count, as the actual SCG battlecruisers looked exactly like the SCBW cinematic versions.)

The 560m 'Minotaur' battlecruiser is smaller.

-If there were hangars on either side of the hammerhead, there's only enough room for one on either side. It's possible, but kind of weird to have decks or hangars in there, since those parts are on an angle. But they could each have a single-dropship-hangar, for a total of 2. And the angle wouldn't matter in space, of course.

-There's no room for that centered hangar underneath since the whole neck of the Minotaur is empty down the middle to make up the Yamato cannon.

-The wings themselves seem too thin to have an entire enclosed hangar bay.

-The raised structure in the rear could be big enough for a single hangar, but that would take up a lot of space in it, and I kind of imagined it was all just bridge and command decks and a mess hall and all that kind of stuff.

-The underside could have a hangar? That could fit at least, like, 3 medivacs? It can't go in too deep, because that's where engine/reactor stuff has to go, but there is space.

-Or Minotaur Battlecruisers just don't have hangars for storing other ships, and are purely battleships, and only use docking of smaller personnel transport shuttles like the one in the Battle on the Amerigo cinematic.
    Last edited by Robear; 12-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Presumably, the underside of the behemoth model is for yamato shots.

Out of curiosity, why would the tanks be stored so far away from the dropship hangars? I would imagine that they are much closer together.

Quote Originally Posted by topsecret221 View Post
    Yes, the neck is mostly used by equipment for the yamato canon, but it doesn't deny the posibility of a shared space with some other ship function. With the following Submarine and Carrier diagrams:

We can se that space is used as efficient as possible. I'd say this applies to Terran capital ships. IIRC, in "Liberty's Crusade" they mention "one way" corridors that only allow a single marine through. Mecanics should also be able to access any area in the BC for repairs or emergencies. So, the neck should offer enough space for transit between the bridge-belly, and the hammerhead of the BC; but not enough for tanks or mechanical units to move through.

Quote Originally Posted by topsecret221 View Post

Out of curiosity, why would the tanks be stored so far away from the dropship hangars? I would imagine that they are much closer together.
    Oh, sorry if I created confusion with this— that SCG picture is not canon, at all to me, since the neck of the Behemoth from the original cinematics is completely different: There is no underside to the Behemoth in SCBW.

You can see the neck is mostly hollow, with superstructure and scaffolding around a row of large spheres, presumably reactors of some sort. Definitely no lower opening or storage area or anything.

So, yeah, there's room for the Liberty's Crusade-described narrow corridors to traverse between the neck sections and not much else, so don't worry about that picture.

Even though I don't know what each of the sections on the Behemoth is for, I at least have something to copy, whereas the underside of the Minotaur I'm pretty much making up.

This one's gonna take me a while, and final exams are approaching, so there may be an update lull. But, here's a preview of how big the Behemoth hammerhead is compared with the other units...

This is just based on my drawings, and I fear the original might actually be a bit bigger than my earlier estimates.

It's hard to tell, because those ships are pretty big (wraiths are like 30 feet tall). So, actually it might be just about right.
    Last edited by Robear; 12-04-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Wow, so you figure a Valkyrie could fit into one of those hangar bays?
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Wow, so you figure a Valkyrie could fit into one of those hangar bays?
    Heh, not quite, it actually just doesn't fit.

Even if it was the exact same height as the hangar, there'd still have to be space around it; there has to be headroom for the ship to hover off the deck (like the dropship in WoL's campaign or fighters in Star Wars) before flying out into space, and for getting into the hangar without scraping the sides. You can see that the dropships and fighters have that maneuvering room, but there's no way the Valkyrie would.
    Last edited by Robear; 12-04-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Well, I finished the Behemoth model. I basically ditched my drawing in favor of more directly copying the look of the original cinematics.

And here's the view from inside one of the hangars:

Cannot wait to texture this. :3
    Last edited by Robear; 12-07-2012 at 12:14 AM.