Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D version of the unit reference pictures

Default Re: 3D version of the unit reference pictures

Thanks, I thought so too, and yes, I'm trying to learn how to texture these as we speak. I basically want to be able to make something like this when I'm done with these models, and it seems very achievable.

Now I've come to a lore/artistic direction question for you guys to chime in on:

The Banshee's propeller blades are sitting on top of some sort of engine, but it doesn't look like there's anything actually connecting that engine to the main body of the aircraft.

There isn't anything visible even in the pre-rendered cinematic version.

The same is true of the ingame model.

So are we to assume that the whole fanblade assembly just floats in the middle there, without being actually secured to anything? I mean, I guess the Terrans have the technology to do that... Contrast this with the Scorpions in Avatar, which have a little arm extending to the middle of the ring to hold everything up.

Should I model in that arm even though I'd be making it up? When I did my original drawing I added one just assuming that it was there and I couldn't see it in my reference picture. Did Blizzard just ignore it or is it really not supposed to be there because this is some future helicopter tech that doesn't need to be attached?
    Last edited by Robear; 11-30-2012 at 02:12 PM.

I'd say the Banshee uses some sort of magnetic ring as an engine for its blades. Just like bullet trains. The main problem with the little arm is that it reduces the strengh of the engine, either by lose of energy due to the amount of gears or because it must be small enough to fit the arm. I'd say a magnetic ring is the best answer for this vehicles.
    Last edited by The_Blade; 11-30-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

You know, instead of making all your own models you could conceivably use the SC2 models and resize them based on your unit pictures chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    You know, instead of making all your own models you could conceivably use the SC2 models and resize them based on your unit pictures chart.
    Except they suck.

I've come to love Pronogo. His presence makes me happy.

Regardless of whether they suck or not:
    • I would only get a couple of units out of it (and I don't really want to use the Hyperion/battlecruiser model they have since I didn't use its design), and they would really clash with all the ones I would have to make myself/make mine look bad.
    • I kind of want to make them all myself. It's the same as with the drawings— I could have taken screenshots of the models from the side and scaled those, but that wasn't the point for me. Plus, it's really good for my art skills to learn from Blizzard's models while making my own.

Also this way I get to throw in a bit of my own style. For example, I'm trying out the design of the in-game Banshee's cockpit glass instead of the boxier campaign model.

The magnetically floating rotors are funny because there's no way that assembly on the bottom actually does anything, since there's no way to get fuel to it... Unless power is conducted from the frame through the rotor blades somehow. Which is possible. But, yeah, it looks right.
    Last edited by Robear; 11-30-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Hmm...
    Honestly, I can't see any way to make those spindles the engines and make them make sense.

Perhaps its got something to do with the Banshee's cloaking system? Something that damps out the sound of the rotors?

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    The magnetically floating rotors are funny because there's no way that assembly on the bottom actually does anything, since there's no way to get fuel to it... Unless power is conducted from the frame through the rotor blades somehow. Which is possible. But, yeah, it looks right.
    Don't think too hard on this one, your mind will explode.

I would suggest that the rotors are powered by the same magnetic force (coming from the ring structure) that holds the whole rotor in place. Don't forget that there maybe some localised anti-grav (which we know the Terrans have) tech probably involved in keeping it altogether and afloat as well.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

The whole thing is kind of bullshitty anyway, like how in the in-game model the pods on either side of the cockpit are clearly where the missiles fire from (note the 4-hole arrangement),

and then in the Card to Play cinematic they're engine intakes, and the missiles just magically appear beneath the main body. Are they engines or rocket pods? Pick one, don't have both in the game at once! *sigh*

Anyway, here's my Banshee, complete with floating rotors. It's a bit higher-detail than the others, maybe I'll bring the others up to this quality, maybe not. Turned out the tail in my drawing was too short.
    Last edited by Robear; 11-30-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Kindregan mentioned the banshee had a separate engine for flying through space. Is that what the side-pods are?