Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 3D version of the unit reference pictures

Default Re: 3D version of the unit reference pictures

I found a redesign of the protoss anatomy to make them reptilian humanoids: http://www.polykarbonbbs.com/showpos...73&postcount=6

I don’t know what the artist did, but for some reason I like it a lot better than canon. Still too human for my tastes, but more plausible than most Star Trek aliens.

EDIT: I found this awesome fanart which makes the protoss' mouthless jawbone less jarring. The detailed features on the lower face makes it look functional rather than wasted space, similar to how humans have a nose and mouth on the lower half of our face.
    Last edited by Mislagnissa; 08-29-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Better than most Star Trek aliens is still the lowest bar in the world though (which creatures like the Bengalaas don't even clear, being just a big cat). Any work of sci-fi where the aliens have 4 limbs, bilateral symmetry down the middle, have limbs with bones with the same exact number of joints as tetrapods on Earth, with fingers with the same number of joints as tetrapods on Earth, etc... Is just implausibly unimaginative. Even humanoids aside, what are the odds that Zerglings would have back leg joints and muscles and toes that are configured exactly like land animals on Earth, when on Earth alone you have way more varied biodiversity, with crows and octopuses and humans showing up from one common ancestor.

Edge of Tomorrow's Mimics are a pretty good stab at something new, but even then they often move as if they have arms with the same elbow and wrist joints as tetrapod life on Earth, even though arthropods already have totally different arm joint setups. And then they also gave it sometimes visible two eyes on either side of its mouth, even though animals like Starfish have totally different setups again.

But, for the purposes of my art and this thread, I am trying to create designs that fit into the existing world of StarCraft, cheesy alien designs included. So while I might redesign some units or ships a bit with a personal twist, the motivation behind my to-scale art is to have an official-ish vibe. I'm not interested in taking ideas from other people's fan art, and won't be making any big changes at all.

That said, here are some closeups of the High Templar's face if you're interested. The goal will be to have the rest of the Protoss's skin look this detailed. (It is also a little unrealistically shiny/plasticky right now, that will be broken up)

With the metal (including the false beard) hidden:

When I make a Zealot, I'll probably make its head look a little less tall and thin, a little more like the Remastered Zealot portrait.

(edit: my Protoss won't ever have nipples though. Zeratul's were a mistake.)
    Last edited by Robear; 08-29-2018 at 09:37 PM.

some people speculate that the appearance of animals with the characteristics of the earth, in other world would be quite easy to argue as cases of convergent evolution,independent of the genetic origin given by the analogy of functions, you will need similar solutions such as the dolphin and the itiosaurus are similar to shape , of one being a rectil and the other a mammal since the designs work would be the logical and most probable evolutionary conclusion, such as marsupials developed characteristics of canidos and felidos, without have direct kinship, there are several cases of saber teeth that are not feline, and as well as the speculations of animal evolution artists that cover the niches of the great predators with similar forms of rodents or mustelids the development of Musculature and endo skeleton will be a quite probable configuration of enviroement similar to the Earth. my problems with the protos is that their muscle design is too similar to the muscles of a human, cases such as the existence of the Protoss chin can be easily explained as an area where sensory organs are located can even be a razor ornament as the crests of a rooster.
    ----------------------
    The explanation of Jupiter ascending, of the man like an old species that has been seeded in different planets with genetic variations, is a good explcación to find humanoid aliens that only vary by the adaptation to the planets and random mutations
    -----
    the roach would see benefit from accentuating the softer purple parts and give it a more oily and muscular appareance

I always saw the two hight templar in the intro as very young or feminine, it's nice, the variation of more mature faces would be nice too

good animation for zergling
    Last edited by drakolobo; 08-30-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    But, for the purposes of my art and this thread, I am trying to create designs that fit into the existing world of StarCraft, cheesy alien designs included. So while I might redesign some units or ships a bit with a personal twist, the motivation behind my to-scale art is to have an official-ish vibe. I'm not interested in taking ideas from other people's fan art, and won't be making any big changes at all.
    The protoss art has always depicted some with prominent v-shaped ridges in the nose/mouth area. The protoss cover art for Remastered is a good example. Detailing like that, I think, would do away with the wasted space problem I keep noticing.

It simply does not make sense for the protoss to have a face below their eyes. It makes no sense for the dark templar to wear veils, since they have nothing to conceal. These sorts of problems could be easily fixed by making those ridges serve some kind of function like breathing and emoting. Protoss portraits do breathe when idle, and the corsair wears a gas mask for some reason.

When I make a Zealot, I'll probably make its head look a little less tall and thin, a little more like the Remastered Zealot portrait.
    The remastered 3D render of the zealot depicts it with a long sausage-shaped head. You could give the protoss sausage heads without contradicting the canon. Even within canon the shape of the heads is not consistent. Artanis and Alarak have noticeably different skull shapes.

I have always thought the space jockey from Alien and plague doctor mask were good models. Even within canon there seemed to be slight trend where some protoss skulls tried to emulate birds more than humans. Terrans cover the mammal angle and zerg the insectoid, so it makes sense for protoss to go for more avian, reptilian and/or amphibian.

Brood War hydralisk model almost done, still missing teeth and a couple other small bits.

In addition to having it for scale, I will also try to do a 3D print of this guy in a pose similar to the Zerg victory screen.

If anyone wants to see that hydralisk model in 3d...
    https://sketchfab.com/models/9337fbe...78b1e5def1d5b7

So I'm going to be posing and 3D printing this, and possibly having a coworker paint it.

This raises a new question— what real-world scale should I print StarCraft models at?

The old Academy Hydralisk and Marine model kits were at 1/30th scale. So, the tip of the Hydralisk's back was about 4" tall, because that back spike is about 10' tall on the full size (My hydralisk model's back is about 10.5 feet high).

1/30th scale is real small though, and my friend's 3D printer resolution would lose a lot of detail. He suggested I go for 1/12th scale... so the hydralisk would be a 10.5" tall statue. This is also a scale that some action figures are in, any 6" tall action figure. So it would be kind of cool to be consistent with that. Then in the future I could also get some infantry in there for comparison with it at the same scale.

If anyone wants to see that hydralisk model in 3d...
    https://sketchfab.com/models/9337fbe...78b1e5def1d5b7

So I'm going to be posing and 3D printing this, and possibly having a coworker paint it.

This raises a new question— what real-world scale should I print StarCraft models at?

The old Academy Hydralisk and Marine model kits were at 1/30th scale. So, the tip of the Hydralisk's back was about 4" tall, because that back spike is about 10' tall on the full size (My hydralisk model's back is about 10.5 feet high).

1/30th scale is real small though, and my friend's 3D printer resolution would lose a lot of detail. He suggested I go for 1/12th scale... so the hydralisk would be a 10.5" tall statue. This is also a scale that some action figures are in, any 6" tall action figure. So it would be kind of cool to be consistent with that. Then in the future I could also get some infantry in there for comparison with it at the same scale.
    great model, for me, all 28mm hehe, I would like to see a diorama of miniatures in an epic battle, about the impression Kyle Jaworowskiis(https://www.artstation.com/toasty1231) experienced with impression of sc some advice could have

His work is so amazing! Does look like he's playing a little bit loose with the scale, since his Nova is much bigger than a WH Space Marine. He definitely made that hydralisk head work and preserve detail at that size though...

The advantage to that scale is that I would be able to do vehicles, whereas at 1/12th scale I never would aside from like a Vulture... But I do want to have my own version of this Zergling/Hydralisk action figure prototype that never went into production. (Well, the hydralisk did, with a browner paint job, but didn't include the Zergling.) And at that 28mm scale the ling would have to be tiny!

Here is a possible pose for the hydralisk, in 3D. I will still bake these details onto a low-poly model so it can also be in with the other realtime units.

Hey, so I haven't really had much time to work on this stuff, but in the past month or so a reallly talented modeler has been making a ton of SC models, and following the scale chart. Check him out! He makes models as fast as I made drawings back in the old days, and he's a much better modeler than me. (I will still go for the animated and for the realtime angle, so I can still offer something a little different.)

great worlk of this boy, i will got a immortal face more elegant in my sculpture , like first art concep, these face in moon shape is pretty cool ,
    Last edited by drakolobo; 03-26-2019 at 02:56 AM.