Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 3D version of the unit reference pictures

Default Re: 3D version of the unit reference pictures

Misla, this was my interpretation of a protoss skull from several years ago. The cranial structure was actually inspired by dolphins.

Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

My basic thoughts on Protoss head anatomy is that they do grow a hardened keratinized layer/structures outside of the skull, though it's still covered in skin/scales. And variety in these keratin structures account for Protoss having such varied rigid swirls and spikes and ridges around their cheekbones/brows, frills (especially a line of ridges up the middle), 'jawline' and chins. Chins can vary a ton in length and size and all that because, since they don't have mouths, the chin doesn't actually affect or impede any bodily functions. In SC2, basically every Protoss design in the game also has those 2-layered frills.

So, as of SC2, canon Protoss heads to me are based somewhere around these, with potential for more detailed swirls and scales and spikes. IMO the right head would have basically the exact same skull as the middle one.

So, not quite exoskeleton, but it could almost be like a crocodilian, where the actual skeleton is the middle one, but it's covered in bony armor that then is still covered in skin. I like VoK's skull design, with its open cheeks!

For my 3D models, I'm mostly going to steer towards the middle one, with a bit more of the variation in scales and color that we saw in the original SC, as opposed to SC2 which was pretty much all grey.

In LotV, female Protoss seem to trend towards the left side, with tiny chins and smooth faces. On the extreme right side, you could get ones like Ulrezaj where the projections from the jawline are becoming spikes that are no longer covered in skin, unlike the SC2 zealot where there are raised ridges there but they aren't sharp. Ulrezaj's chin is also building up multiple prominent flaky looking layers of keratin that give him that appearance from that old SC1 Samwise concept art. IMO, other Protoss with gold chin pieces don't necessarily have giant chins underneath them, it's just mimicking that look.

Then, again IMO, Karax is basically the equivalent of a human with a hormone imbalance or something that causes them to grow way way more hair on their face than average. Just those same horn structures bursting out all along the entire jawline. I prefer to think of him as someone with an unusual cosmetic condition than to think Protoss grow beards like this or anything.

Different Protoss ethnicities also obviously add more variation still, like Alarak has very different looking skin and scales than everyone else, but I'd imagine he has the same basic overall structure.

As for the 'trunk' comic art, I'm quite confident that that was just a drawing of a Protoss with a very long face, like the SC:Remastered Carrier portrait.

I also don't rank comic art or art done by artists outside Blizzard as highly unless there are no official alternatives showing what something looks like. There have been some official comics with some janky designs in them— like, until a guy who looks like the top right Protoss shows up in an official game, I won't ever make a Protoss that looks like him.

Similarly, I consider SC:Ghost (or any game's) concept art not canon if it contradicts something in the final release.
    Last edited by Robear; 08-25-2018 at 04:25 PM.

I agree with Robear's progression of Protoss facial characteristics. On the left are neotenous features -- characteristics seen in children, juveniles, and women. Characteristics to the right are seen in more aged protoss, or individuals with some hormone imbalance. Karax, for example, seem fairly aggressive for a Khalai, so he may have higher testosterone-analog levels.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

On a non-Protoss subject, the Zergling's basically done!

This model, which I made a long time ago at this point, is extremely faithful to the proportions of the SC2 ling from the in-engine campaign cutscenes, with a lower polycount. I want to have a few models that are extremely faithful/accurate/recognizable so that then when people see the models that are my own designs for a unit, they'll be more accepting of them. That said, I would make quite a few changes to this design— my main issue with it is that the tusks on either side of the head are so big that it really wouldn't be able to raise the front legs up high enough to sprint or attack with. But I like how right at home it looks as an SC2 zergling.

The right version has refractive wing membranes.

Here it is in 3D with its idle animation. We'll see if I can also do that effect without impacting performance in Unreal. You'll notice for it to work in realtime in Sketchfab, the wing membranes no longer cast shadows!
    Last edited by Robear; 08-26-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Misla, this was my interpretation of a protoss skull from several years ago. The cranial structure was actually inspired by dolphins.

I think it looks too human. It does not match the official designs by Samwise either, which are the best look at the protoss skull I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    My basic thoughts on Protoss head anatomy is that they do grow a hardened keratinized layer/structures outside of the skull, though it's still covered in skin/scales. And variety in these keratin structures account for Protoss having such varied rigid swirls and spikes and ridges around their cheekbones/brows, frills (especially a line of ridges up the middle), 'jawline' and chins. Chins can vary a ton in length and size and all that because, since they don't have mouths, the chin doesn't actually affect or impede any bodily functions. In SC2, basically every Protoss design in the game also has those 2-layered frills.

So, as of SC2, canon Protoss heads to me are based somewhere around these, with potential for more detailed swirls and scales and spikes. IMO the right head would have basically the exact same skull as the middle one.

So, not quite exoskeleton, but it could almost be like a crocodilian, where the actual skeleton is the middle one, but it's covered in bony armor that then is still covered in skin. I like VoK's skull design, with its open cheeks!

For my 3D models, I'm mostly going to steer towards the middle one, with a bit more of the variation in scales and color that we saw in the original SC, as opposed to SC2 which was pretty much all grey.

In LotV, female Protoss seem to trend towards the left side, with tiny chins and smooth faces. On the extreme right side, you could get ones like Ulrezaj where the projections from the jawline are becoming spikes that are no longer covered in skin, unlike the SC2 zealot where there are raised ridges there but they aren't sharp. Ulrezaj's chin is also building up multiple prominent flaky looking layers of keratin that give him that appearance from that old SC1 Samwise concept art. IMO, other Protoss with gold chin pieces don't necessarily have giant chins underneath them, it's just mimicking that look.

Then, again IMO, Karax is basically the equivalent of a human with a hormone imbalance or something that causes them to grow way way more hair on their face than average. Just those same horn structures bursting out all along the entire jawline. I prefer to think of him as someone with an unusual cosmetic condition than to think Protoss grow beards like this or anything.

Different Protoss ethnicities also obviously add more variation still, like Alarak has very different looking skin and scales than everyone else, but I'd imagine he has the same basic overall structure.

As for the 'trunk' comic art, I'm quite confident that that was just a drawing of a Protoss with a very long face, like the SC:Remastered Carrier portrait.

I also don't rank comic art or art done by artists outside Blizzard as highly unless there are no official alternatives showing what something looks like. There have been some official comics with some janky designs in them— like, until a guy who looks like the top right Protoss shows up in an official game, I won't ever make a Protoss that looks like him.

Similarly, I consider SC:Ghost (or any game's) concept art not canon if it contradicts something in the final release.
    Samwise's drawings of the skull (SC2 queen, stalker) make it look like a deformed cone. The back of the skull from scalp to chin is almost perfect flat, whereas the face sticks out at an angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I agree with Robear's progression of Protoss facial characteristics. On the left are neotenous features -- characteristics seen in children, juveniles, and women. Characteristics to the right are seen in more aged protoss, or individuals with some hormone imbalance. Karax, for example, seem fairly aggressive for a Khalai, so he may have higher testosterone-analog levels.
    Tassadar has huge eyebrows, so the beard not a unique thing. I believe that Protoss are much more diverse in appearance than the latest games make them look (SC1 manual says the sects have diverse skin colors). SC2 just recycled three extremely homogenous ethnic groups.

That protoss even have recognizable chins is just weird (it is probably a relic of their heads clearly be ripped-off from Eldar helmets as you can see in the earliest concept art; Alarak's cone-shaped head is a perfect example of this). They do not have mouths or noses so they should not have a lower face. Their facial structure, particular the angle of their eyes, is too human and should be more like the r'ha from the short film of the same name.

eldar? no head protos look to imitate perdator biomask and idenpendence day aliens

any cranial variation is the result of a broad random genetic protoss spectrum
    a exemple in filed manual said :
    Protoss hands are notable for their variation, with some protoss having two fingers and two thumbs, and others having three fingers and only one thumb. This is a random hereditary trait among the protoss

Protoss have a number of inspirations. Eldar, predator, independence day...

I would have less of a problem with this if the chin served an actual function like having orifices for breathing at least. One dark templar fanart on artstation does that and it looks so much more believable. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0XdaG

Lots of protoss faces have those nose/chin ridges so it makes sense to say those are air gills or something.

Samwise's drawings of the skull (SC2 queen, stalker) make it look like a deformed cone.
    FWIW, that head that's on the page with the Stalker concept art is basically not used in SC2. Robb Shoberg, one of the 3D artists on WoL, did release an image with a sculpt of that head, side-by-side with another Protoss head sculpt that looks more like 90% of the Protoss in the actual released game.

Interestingly, that top head design does have the same single-layer frill and the same frill shape as the SC2 Dark Templar portrait. So again it's possible that it represents a different Protoss ethnicity. But the DT definitely doesn't have that pointy chin that extends out super far.

As far as I can tell, that pointy chin and the side spikes never actually appeared in a game, some I'm happy to leave those features on the 'concept art only' pile.

Also, here are the Zergling and Roach together!

I might make the purples on the roach a tiny bit more vibrant.
    Last edited by Robear; 08-27-2018 at 05:55 PM.

The protoss designs are such a wasted opportunity. I donít understand why they had to be so human in shape and proportions. That feels so lazy and ruins a lot of their mystique.

this dark templar portrait in game is ugly , sculpture is better

this zerling need roughness on the armor
    Last edited by drakolobo; 08-29-2018 at 12:03 PM.