Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where Are All The Asians In StarCraft?

Cool Re: Where Are All The Asians In StarCraft?

This:

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    I'm honestly surprised they didn't make the viking (a transformer, for crying out loud) or the warhound, have Japanese pilots. Think of all the anime mecha references they could have made?
    Was kind of revelatory.

To continue the intense lore-based discussion, Blizzard has said in one of their creative dev. posts that the population was boosted via cloning and things like that. I think one way of looking at it is that various ethnicities were able to propagate due to practices like this.

As far as Tosh is concerned, I'm pretty sure he was raised by his grandmother on the planet Haji, and that "elders" banished them both due to fear of his "voodoo." From the sounds of it, the planet, with its locations like "Mirsale" and "Geladi" may have had a primarily non-White population. This would be a place where things like culture and accent could be preserved.

Of course, sometimes higher-ups just decide that a "pseudo-Rastafarian" psychic assassin is a cool idea without really thinking on the lore. I mean, I kind of did, for the most part.

Default Re: Where Are All The Asians In StarCraft?

But nocommayes, to "voodoo" even exist as a PureBlack-poor-Jamaican thing, we have it to be preserved since the day the carriers crashed. Of course a planet with millions (or even hundred thousands) of people has a lot of space for various cultures and etnicities. What I'm pointing is that Tosh's very specific black/voodoo/accent culture is original frmo Earth, so it must have been preserved since Earth..

Really, just think about it: jews in medieval Europe. They were'nt that rare, specially in the Iberian Peninsula, etc. Their populations weren't that small, and even so they eventually miscigenized with local populations.

All of Tosh's ancestrals were probably in a single supercarrier (each carrying 10,000... right?). Maybe the original Voodooist to Koprulu was a single person, who knows. Still, we'd need at least dozens of black AND jamaican accented people on board, and then need them to only inbred until space travel was rediscovered - or rather, expand their culture into other etnicities.

What I mean is that what we see in the modern US - no racist laws or official structures, but still feel racial mixing - is a very rare phenomena. Mixing races and cultures is always the most common path.

Clones could explain the existence of a higher population of Asians and Blacks, but it doesn't explain why would people gather again into ethnical and racial guettos if they're starting a new home.

I think everything is very unlikely but if it happened, maybe there's a good story behind it. Not that Blizzard has thought of it yet :P

Technically you would get people that look more regionalized based on the planet they live on. Some people could be taller on low-grav planets, others more stocky, some with a different hue to their skin color due to their diet (eating lots of carrots actually makes your skin orange) and more.

Quote Originally Posted by nocommayes View Post

There's also at least one instance of an Asian character, Master Miyamoto, who taught Valerian Mengsk how to be skilled with swords.
    On a side note, anyone else found that ridiculously cheesy? Like really? You're gonna put one Asian in the franchise and it's gonna be a sword master AND his name is gonna be Miyamoto?!

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Like really? You're gonna put one Asian in the franchise and it's gonna be a sword master AND his name is gonna be Miyamoto?!
    Yeah, if there's anything that backs up what robear was saying about Blizzard not doing well with representing minorities, it's that.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

For fucks sake, you already own the god damn multiplayer. Don't take away the last refuge of single-player too.

Damned Oriential Imperialists! To hell with you all!

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

What doesn't make the slightest sense is that there are Asians in Starcraft. And blacks. And caucasians, for that matter.

You get a 40k population. In 200 years, all their etnicities will mix. Bingo. There is no other way this could happen.
    This

Technically you would get people that look more regionalized based on the planet they live on. Some people could be taller on low-grav planets, others more stocky, some with a different hue to their skin color due to their diet (eating lots of carrots actually makes your skin orange) and more.
    Combined with this.

There's your answer

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Damned Oriential Imperialists! To hell with you all!
    Please don't anger our future overlords.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by phazonjunkie View Post
    This

Combined with this.

There's your answer

/thread
    Not really. People form communities, which is why the USA still has African Americans after 200 years. It takes way more than 200 years for people to adapt to a planet & change skin color. Which also doesn't explain accents like Tosh's.

Wow, things really got into the nitty-gritty of where races stand in the StarCraft universe. I kind of want to ask this question again, because I don't think it's really deserving of its own thread:

Quote Originally Posted by nocommayes View Post
    Considering what Robear mentioned about more "ethnic" characters being stereotyped, what Terran unit could you feasibly see being Asian? It can be an existing unit [Viking, etc.], or one that doesn't exist yet.
    I'm just really interested in your suggestions/ideas on this.