Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your top character deaths [warning potential spoilers]

Default Your top character deaths [warning potential spoilers]

So, I'll like to know which death scenes in any media have a relevance to you. Any amount is OK

Here are mine:

1. Gustavo Fring (breaking bad)

2. Maximus Decimus Meridius (gladiator)

3. Viserys Targaryen (a song of ice and fire)

4. Arthur Mitchell (dexter)

5. Eddard Stark (a song of ice and fire)

6. John Kramer (saw III)

7. Gandalf the Grey (the fellowship of the ring)

8. Severus Snape (harry potter and the deatly hollows)

9. Ellie (pixar's up)

10. Tarlok (the legend of korra)

The book versions of the deaths are best for me, the videos are for an easier communication of ideas.

Default Re: Your top character deaths [warning potential spoilers]

Asuka's Death:

Spike's Death:

Nicholas D. Wolfwood's Death:

Legato's death, more on the part of Vash's suffering though:

There's more, but just those right now are fine for me.

When Dualla killed herself in BSG, I was speechless. Totally did not see it coming. This is the best video I could find of the scene on short notice.

i've always wanted to see BSG ^^

Sadly it's on my long wish list with one or two months of content. I'm lucky I'm interested in one or two animes, or the list might go on for ever.

Could list off character deaths, but short on time right now. Responding to the above entries though:

-Maximus: Meh. Okay, kind of like the movie. Not the best movie of Scott's I've seen, but not the worst either.

-Viserys: I liked this scene (only read the books, haven't seen the TV series yet). It was immensely satisfying for the SOB to get what was coming to him (and quite creatively to, how Drogo circumvents the law of not spilling blood where they are) and adds to Dany's character development as well.

-Ned: Wasn't caught offguard here. In Westeros, people like Ned are the exception rather than the norm. And beheading is pretty much to be expected for them.

-Gandalf: Mixed reactions to this. In the book, I felt the emotion was kind of 'muted,' how the Fellowship don't enter the grief phase until Lothlorien. In the Jackson film though, with Gandalf dying...yeah, I cried. Bite me.

-Snape: While I hold the Harry Potter novels as superior to the films, Deathly Hallows pt. 2 is, IMO, the best of said films because, among other reasons, it's the most 'filmy.' How Snape's death is treated is part of that. Knew it was coming, knew his backstory, but yeah, seeing it onscreen, it did grab my heartstrings.

-Ellie: Very well done IMO. It's an excellent case of show, don't tell, how few, if any words are exchanged in the first few minutes of Up, yet Ellie and Karl's story is told to us regardless. We feel for him, and although we barely know her, we feel for Ellie as well.

-Tarlok: Meh. That's all I can say. Doesn't help that his death is perilously close to the utterly wretched last five minutes of the season finale. Gah!

-Dualla: This caught me offguard, but for different reasons. Season 4 was...problematic for BSG IMO, how it felt like the storylines of two seasons compressed into one (writer's strike?). It's as if they remembered that "BTW, Lee's married," show Dualla...then kill her. Because they can. Go figure.

-DuGalle: Meh. Okay. Wouldn't rank it as the most moving death scene in StarCraft for me, or even Brood War by itself (Stukov would get that position).

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

1) Vegeta's final atonement. Haven't really watched all of DBZ except the fight scenes from YouTube, and I'm sure looking for literary excellence in DBZ is like looking for corn in a pile of manure, but this scene always reminded me of Huck Finn, who chose to do the right thing despite being told he was a bad person.

2) I like to think that rank and family is the most important thing in protoss culture. Tassadar sacrificed both & more.

I guess these last 2 don't count since they both came back. :P

3) Second Ned Stark. But not so much that as the Red Wedding scene, which is the most gripping thing I've ever read.

4) Second Dualla. BSG probably has the best "atmosphere" of any show I've seen. It's like the SC/BW of TV shows.

5) Thor & the Asgard from SG1. The "elder race" is my favorite sci-fi trope of all time, and this is one of the best implementations out there. What makes their deaths awesome is that they were forced to commit suicide in order to prevent their eventual genetic deterioration.

6) Anthony Cooper - A satisfying death for the most evil man in Lost:

7) Oenemaus from Spartacus: Vengeance.

Awesome show, too bad the only video out there of this fight is this godawful quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65FvVdd0SJ4

8) Mordin Solus - Was doing my ME3 playthrough. I felt like a piece of shit when I shot him in the back.

9) Tychus Findlay, Wings of Liberty.

Pffff....Hahahahaha. Just kidding on the last one. ;D

I know there's some other ones I'm missing, can't think of them all now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    3) Second Ned Stark. But not so much that as the Red Wedding scene, which is the most gripping thing I've ever read.
    Although the Red Wedding and other deaths were far more compeling at the moment, I believe Ned's death was one of the most trasendental in the story. His death leads to everything that's currently happening, except probably the far far far away Dany storyline. A good contrast is Tywin. When Tywin died only cersei cared enough, despite his huge reputation. Perhaps, it was the exact convination of the man who died, the timing, and the man who really killed him that gave it such a status. I believe Varys felt sorry he had to kill Ned, but he would do anything to fix the realm. If I had to name a death that might match Ned's I might say Kevan's. I'm just waiting for the shitstorm in the next books on this turning point.

If you felt excited reading through the Red Wedding, read it while playing this song (I just can't wait for the HBO interpretation of a Storm of Swords):

Ahaha, I just remembered of a death that impacted me many years ago.

Rachel, in the final Animorphs book, #54 The Beginning. I loved that series, I was so young...

Watching the Red Wedding will make me want to plan George Martin's death all over again. =[

(To the NSA and FBI: I'm kidding.)

I think Primrose Everdeen's death in the Hunger Games series got to me something fierce. I was really surprised at how much that affected me.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.