Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The final nail in the C&C coffin.

Default The final nail in the C&C coffin.

For all the Command and Conquer lovers out there (all those 6 of you left), read this and despair!
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Default Re: The final nail in the C&C coffin.

I became aware of it last night...browsed the forums...browsed them again this morning...I thought after Tiberian Twilight they might have learnt from their mistakes...I thought that if they wanted this kind of game for Command and Conquer, they provided us with Tiberium Alliances. I thought that Generals 2 could be a good game...same good gameplay...an actual story this time. But now...

EA, I only have this to say to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeaGJRV-whU

Substitute "Ultima" for "Command and Conquer." Heck, I could substitute it for a number of franchises that have been gutted by them.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aZNSEwzX8wY (someone did my job for me).
    Last edited by Hawki; 08-15-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Kay, lost all hope. Was actually looking forward to a Bioware-made Generals game. I no longer care about this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    Kay, lost all hope. Was actually looking forward to a Bioware-made Generals game. I no longer care about this series.
    Might as well stop caring about Bioware too. DA2, ME3's ending, SWTOR. EA has raped them.

I wouldn't really call the original concept for Generals 2 a Bioware game per se. Bioware Victory is really a rebranding of Victory Games, and while I think some folks from Bioware did cross over, it's more or less EA trying to capitalize on the label.

But yeah, I'm peeved. Loss of singleplayer and actual storyline is a loss for me.

Man, I lol'd hard at that comic, Squid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Loss of singleplayer and actual storyline is a loss for me.
    Don't worry, Hawki. I'm sure they'll put in some form of single-player later on as a micro-transaction.

The iffy thing with a F2P model is that it only becomes viable if there is sufficient player feedback to keep the developers forced in providing new material (such as single-player). The problem with going down that particular route is if the game will even make it to that stage for it to even happen. And even if it did, the storyline would still most likely be shite and people will rage on anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon
    Don't worry, Hawki. I'm sure they'll put in some form of single-player later on as a micro-transaction.

The iffy thing with a F2P model is that it only becomes viable if there is sufficient player feedback to keep the developers forced in providing new material (such as single-player). The problem with going down that particular route is if the game will even make it to that stage for it to even happen. And even if it did, the storyline would still most likely be shite and people will rage on anyway.
    Well...

I'll admit this-from a commercial standpoint, I think it will serve EA well. F2P will attract new players and by removing any notion of continuity, the newbies won't get bogged down in it. But from the singleplayer perspective, even if singleplayer missions are created, it's kind of moot, as it'll be stories set within a universe rather than stories driving the universe forward. With Generals, assuming the proposed story for Generals 2 remains as backstory, we'll simply have a world where generals fight because all the world's leaders are dead and...you know, we like fighting. For Red Alert, while Uprising had plot elements for continuation of its story (not that it had that much), we'll probably get a three-way between the Allies, Soviets and Empire. I could understand EA pulling the reset lever in Red Alert 3 and wouldn't have minded that much considering that none of the previous games begged for continuation, but now we've pretty much got a static status quo.

And then there's Tiberium. I'll admit, despite all the problems Tiberian Twilight had in both gameplay and story, I'll give it credit for at least closing the storyline. Sure, the scrin are still lurking around, but with Kane, Nod and tiberium gone from Earth, I don't think there's really much to continue the story. And with Tiberium Alliances having established its own turf in the series's timeline, my fear is that they'll simply do a reset lever again. Bring back Nod, tiberium and the scrin simply for a storyless, static F2P.

Some say that games nowadays are implementing stories at the gameplay. To me, with what this move bodes for the series, it's become the other way round.

I became aware of it last night...browsed the forums...browsed them again this morning...I thought after Tiberian Twilight they might have learnt from their mistakes...I thought that if they wanted this kind of game for Command and Conquer, they provided us with Tiberium Alliances. I thought that Generals 2 could be a good game...same good gameplay...an actual story this time. But now...

EA, I only have this to say to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeaGJRV-whU

Substitute "Ultima" for "Command and Conquer." Heck, I could substitute it for a number of franchises that have been gutted by them.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aZNSEwzX8wY (someone did my job for me).
    "The Cycle has repeated itself more times than you can fathom."

Anyhow, I find this rather disquieting. Not because I have any investment in the C&C franchise, but because I remember the last major attempt at an MMORTS. Anybody remember Company of Heroes Online?

I thought so.

I'm excited to see where this goes, in the way that I'm excited to see how an aircraft with one engine and no landing gear will land.

Some say that games nowadays are implementing stories at the gameplay. To me, with what this move bodes for the series, it's become the other way round.
    Mind clarifying that?
    Last edited by Quirel; 08-17-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirel View Post
    "The Cycle has repeated itself more times than you can fathom."
    Probably. For every game franchise I can say that EA's screwed over and cite evidence, there's probably ten more that I can only go by word of mouth. That being said, I'd actually say that Mass Effect is a franchise that there's still hope for, in that while ME3 had the obvious ending SNAFU, we at least got the extended cut-an appology that I accepted. I'm interested to see where Dragon Age III goes, as many are citing it as make or break for Bioware under EA.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirel
    Anyhow, I find this rather disquieting. Not because I have any investment in the C&C franchise, but because I remember the last major attempt at an MMORTS. Anybody remember Company of Heroes Online?

I thought so.
    Not personally...then again, I was only ever vaguely aware of the series in the first place. The announcement of Company of Heroes 2 and the fanfare surrounding it was what really reminded me of its existance.

But still, there's End of Nations, which I think the remade Generals 2 is intended to compete with. Again, it's something I'm indifferent to, since looking at Petroglyph's RTS record, it strikes me as a bit hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirel
    Mind clarifying that?
    (Looks at previous post)

...ugh. This is what nerd rage does to you. It makes you type utter gibberish.

Basically, it's the whole "gameplay vs. story" debate. Sparing a rant, it's a debate I don't think needs to exist, because I think the two can co-exist quite easily. It's just that EA seems to be taking the franchise squarely into the realm of gameplay, after promising at announcement of Generals 2 that there'd be more of a focus on story this time. At least with Tiberium Alliances (another MMORTS) it was established from the start that there'd be no story.

It's just that EA seems to be taking the franchise squarely into the realm of gameplay, after promising at announcement of Generals 2 that there'd be more of a focus on story this time.
    I thought they specifically said they were taking it back to its "roots".

Only recently did I realise that it was the kind that lie six feet under...