Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarov's Art

Default Re: Sarov's Art

First off let me say a few things to consider if you really want to get into the game industry. (From my own experience in the graphic design industry, and the things the professionals keep saying on sites like www.cgtalk.com)

So far I haven't done any non-StarCraft related artwork as I'm not interested but when I get my computer and tablet I might start on some.
    Yes! You definately have to start on non-StarCraft stuff at some point! The entire creative industry, whether simple logo design like I do, or the far more artistic game or movie industries - is all about coming up with different and new ideas.
    Additionally you'll learn more by doing 'original' artwork as it's also called - A protoss is something we already know the looks of, or can find some reference for, but doing something from scratch forces you to think out of the box.

As for Constructive Criticism
    You have an exellent attention to details in both the line art and pencil shading.
    My only critique, is that I noticed they have little to no perspective on the faces - ie. they are 'flat' sideviews. (Kinda like ancient egyptian paintings, where peoples faces are only seen from the side, no matter what the body pose is like)
    You certainly have the skill, so moar perspective plz!
    Starcraft universe fan: Singleplayer and novels

GentleBen's Avatar Junior Member

I really like the Selendis one. I wish we had more of her.

Sarov's Avatar The Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by SoFool View Post
    Sweeet man, you must be a protoss fan yes no?

Some zerg drawings would be nice xD
    Oh, don't worry, I'll be doing some Zerg drawings soon. I drew a picture of a hydralisk but I can't seem to find it anywhere. The first Zerg picture will probably be of the Queen of Blades though - she's always fun to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by PhanttoM View Post
    First off let me say a few things to consider if you really want to get into the game industry. (From my own experience in the graphic design industry, and the things the professionals keep saying on sites like www.cgtalk.com)

Yes! You definately have to start on non-StarCraft stuff at some point! The entire creative industry, whether simple logo design like I do, or the far more artistic game or movie industries - is all about coming up with different and new ideas.
    Additionally you'll learn more by doing 'original' artwork as it's also called - A protoss is something we already know the looks of, or can find some reference for, but doing something from scratch forces you to think out of the box.

As for Constructive Criticism
    You have an exellent attention to details in both the line art and pencil shading.
    My only critique, is that I noticed they have little to no perspective on the faces - ie. they are 'flat' sideviews. (Kinda like ancient egyptian paintings, where peoples faces are only seen from the side, no matter what the body pose is like)
    You certainly have the skill, so moar perspective plz!
    I used to do original work in the past but I kinda stopped. The reason I don't usually do non-Starcraft related art is because I can't seem to get things right. For example, I'll have this great idea about something I want to draw but when I start to draw it doesn't exactly come out the way I want to. It may be because the paper I work with is the standard size copy paper and that usually isn't big enough - I don't want to have to scan a picture multiple times to get the entire thing scanned and then have to piece everything together in an art program. Hopefully, I'll be able to start working on some new ideas when I get my computer and tablet since with an art program I can have a lot more room to draw than I ever could with paper and not have to scan it multiple times.

Yeah, I noticed there tends to be no perspective in my drawings as well. I have no idea why. There were a few that did but I can't seem to remember where I placed them. I'll definitely have to change things up a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by GentleBen View Post
    I really like the Selendis one. I wish we had more of her.
    I might do another one of her when I get my computer and tablet - in a different pose of course. I've been thinking of doing a large picture for each of the three races but I haven't figured out exactly what each scene will be yet.

Good stuff......gal?

The only thing that really drives me nuts is the huge watermark. It makes some of the drawings look confusing. Consider signing your name or pseudonym to your art with the date and maybe even your art site.

Otherwise, gj Sarov

Heh. Also, why is it that all the names for females sound so weird? Dudette, chick, galÖ

Yeah. I figured a lot of people would get annoyed by that. Itís just that Iíve become paranoid about my artwork getting stolen. Itís happened before. Someone sold a poster I had done on Ebay once (it was fully coloured) and someone else had stolen my artwork and claimed their cousin had done it. Iíve even had someone try and upload my artwork elsewhere.

I think it would be easier if I had a colour picture and had signed my name on it. It would be a lot harder to erase it without messing up the picture, wouldnít it? But for now, Iíll have to stick with the watermark.

Also thank you, n00bonic!

- What do you think of my drawings?
    I think they are awesome! Can't wait to see some of the colored=)
    - What's your favorite piece of artwork?
    Definitely the Zeratul one.
    - Which piece do you most want to me to colour when I get my computer and tablet?
    The Zeratul piece, obviously^^
    - Have any requests for me? Post them in this thread! Note: Please keep in mind that I'm busy with school and I can't color anything yet because of a lack of utensils. All pictures will be lineart but they will be coloured when I get my computer and tablet. Also I'd prefer right now if all requests were StarCraft.
    An SC2 Reaver^^ But only if you really really want to. I'd like to make a sig/avatar out of it, but that's not a requirement for the artwork

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    I think they are awesome! Can't wait to see some of the colored=)

Definitely the Zeratul one.

The Zeratul piece, obviously^^

An SC2 Reaver^^ But only if you really really want to. I'd like to make a sig/avatar out of it, but that's not a requirement for the artwork
    Yay, someone actually answered the questions!

Thanks for the comments, Dauntless! I'll make sure to colour the Zeratul piece. And I've been thinking of doing one very large, colored piece for each race as well as a separate one depicting some of their heroes. Got any ideas you'd like to share with me for the big ones?

Also, how about this: I'll draw a Reaver and color it and you can use it as an avatar? You'll have to wait a while, but I promise I'll do it!

Dang it Dauntless, you beat me to it! I want to see that Zeratul colored too.
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Dang it Dauntless, you beat me to it! I want to see that Zeratul colored too.
    Actually, I was thinking of drawing Zeratul in a more epic pose than just standing there, staring off, but I'm still going to colour that one. I should have it done in about a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarov View Post
    Actually, I was thinking of drawing Zeratul in a more epic pose than just standing there, staring off, but I'm still going to colour that one. I should have it done in about a week or so.
    Sweet! Even with the watermark I'll be sure to fave it.
    [CENTER]