Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plothole resolution in the Starcraft universe

Default Re: Plothole resolution in the Starcraft universe

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    So what you're saying is you think the Overmind was still intending to assimilate the Protoss, even under the Dark Voice? That this is the same as destroying them?
    This is not what I expressly think, but yes that is what I'm saying. It is perhaps one way to meld the inconsistency between the information in Sc1 and WoL. If this is what they were supposed to say, they did a poor job or telegraphing it (not to mention making it needlessly over-complicated).

Would the Overmind had been able to create Xel'Naga upon assimilating the Protoss? Or, under the Dark Voice, would these have been the same type of Hybrids as Maar and the Destroyers?
    Funny thing about this is that we're not even sure Protoss can even be assimilated given that we are told they can't even be infested according those novels.

Even so, I doubt that the Overmind would've been able to create Xel'Naga through this process because it can be later argued that the Overmind was under DV manipulation such that the assimilation would've instead created Hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by solidsamurai View Post
    I guess at this point it'd be more feasible to fill in the blanks with your fan fic that seeks to resolve plot holes, and then safeguard your ideas by calling it a fan fic. And then hope it gets popular and that there are intelligent people that are as dedicated as you to writing follow ups, etc.
    It's a pity I can't write fan-fic that'll satisfy myself because I'm my own worst critic.

Not necessarily. Like we discussed, the Overmind may have been able to justify she remain behind to cover the Swarm's flank, so to speak. Zeratul and his brethren were hunted down. With them out of the picture, it conceivably allowed the Overmind to gain a foothold on Aiur unhindered.

Then there is a new problem: The Overmind's invasion is too perfect, and is never killed and Kerrigan never ascends. Tassadar becomes the key element to the Overmind's plan working -- which results in its death.
    Ok. So now, are we both agreeing that the Overmind does the things it does in SC1 for the same reasons (Overmind still destroying Protoss as initially conceived, Kerrigan being left behind was to fight the real dangerous Protoss element) as it originally does even with (and despite) the inclusion of the "directive"? What use is the "directive" then other than being another ill-conceived plot device that dominates and drives the plot in a contrived manner?

That problem you've mentioned is the beginnings of another plot-hole. From what we have said so far, the Overmind must die and at some level, must know this in order to achieve it's goal (propping Kerrigan up in its stead). That means the only real reason it goes to Aiur is to die, but how does it know that that is exactly going to happen? I've mentioned something to this effect in another thread about this because this inference means the Overminds 'plan' is a "Xanatos roulette" (a plan that relies on conditions that the planner cannot take stock of and control yet comes off without a hitch exactly as the planner had wanted). It kinda got debunked because there wasn't enough evidence that the Overmind was really planning anything - Kerrigan's infestation and whatever happened next (becoming saviour and all) was just unforeseen and extremely fortuitous for the Overmind (I cried BS at the validity of this "extremely fortuitous" part - there is only so much suspension of disbelief one can have afterall and at that point, to me it seemed like it was not only taking the cake and eating it, it was digesting it and shitting it out, too ). Also, this is not mentioning how the directive is seemingly ok with such an idea (its nebulous influence seems rather quaint - it seems to be able to push the Overmind into doing some things but not others, like not trying to commit suicide for instance...). Whether the Overmind planned, expected or wished the sequence of events that have happened to 'prop up Kerrigan', the whole thing still feels like a big stick-in-the-mud.

Where was Kerrigan when Aldaris and Artanis rescued Tassadar and Zeratul? She never makes an appearance while on Char. Has she already left in search of Shakuras? Shakuras' location is information the Overmind could have gleaned from Zeratul's mind. Perhaps that was her true mission: Striking at the heart of the Dark Templar threat. Zeratul escaped because the Char Brood lacked her personal guidance.
    Nice theory but there are many ways that this can be taken/explained and there are too many unknown variables. Whatever she did do (if anything at all), by the end of SC1's The Fall, Kerrigan was back on Char as evidenced by the last sentence of that ending epilogue.
    Last edited by Turalyon; 04-24-2012 at 05:47 AM.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Where was Kerrigan when Aldaris and Artanis rescued Tassadar and Zeratul? She never makes an appearance while on Char. Has she already left in search of Shakuras? Shakuras' location is information the Overmind could have gleaned from Zeratul's mind. Perhaps that was her true mission: Striking at the heart of the Dark Templar threat. Zeratul escaped because the Char Brood lacked her personal guidance.
    As loathe as I am to refer to it, that question is answered in QoB.

The Zerg "culture" is predicated on assimilating other species. It is what they do. Effectively, assimilating the Protoss is the same as destroying the Protoss, because the end result is the same - no pure Protoss would remain.

That last question of yours is something else altogether. In the end, it doesn't matter if the directive was activated upon the Overmind landing on Aiur anyway because the Overmind itself was already actively destroying (remember that assimilating is the same thing as destroying from an 'outside' perspective) the Protoss anyway. This then speaks to a greater question, why have the directive at all?
    Perhaps assimilation isn't neccessarily equivalent to destruction? In a way, it could be said that the zerg have already 'assimilated' humanity; at least to the extent that they've learned/managed to incorporate enough of their genetics to create new strains based on human DNA. The 'Aberrations' are one example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon
    Funny thing about this is that we're not even sure Protoss can even be assimilated given that we are told they can't even be infested according those novels.
    Metzen stated it's because of the protection afforded by the Khala. But that doesn't explain how the Dark Templar have avoided it. Raszagal is the only Protoss to be "manipulated" in any fashion, but was not infested. I'm thinking Dark Templar may be immune to biological infestation too, though more vulnerable with out the mental discipline of the Khalai.

In short, Protoss are immune for whatever reason. So if they are supposed to only be Half of a Whole... what gives? Perhaps something else is missing?

Maybe the Dark Voice's influence prevents this somehow? No matter how the Zerg try, that missing "something" is due to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Phazon
    As loathe as I am to refer to it, that question is answered in QoB.
    Never read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phazon
    Perhaps assimilation isn't neccessarily equivalent to destruction?
    The StarCraft I manual implies a species iss utterly eradicated once inducted into the Swarm. In this sense, a species is destroyed as it no longer exists independently of the Swarm. As least, that seems to be the "policy".

like not trying to commit suicide for instance
    The Overmind seemed convinced that the only way to properly assimilate the Protoss was to be manifested on Aiur. Perhaps it wasn't explicitly seeking suicide?

We're assuming that the Overmind that did everything in The Overmind campaign is the same one that seeks to free the Swarm. Yet it seemed perfectly in control, never once raging against its nature. It wanted everything that happened in StarCraft I to happen. And it did. Perhaps we never saw the aspect of it that raged. It was sequestered away somewhere, hidden from us.

If so, we have the same situation with the Overmind as we do now with Kerrigan. In "All In", there was the Queen of Blades persona, and hidden away was the shadow of the original Kerrigan. That second persona somehow gained enough strength to break through the Zerg conditioning.

Is it the same with the Overmind? The shadow of the true Overmind just never explicitly broke through the conditioning? It worked "behind the scenes"; perhaps it originated the doubts in the Overmind before it found humanity, making the Swarm believe it couldn't win without another strong psychic species to combat the Protoss?
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 04-24-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Never read it.
    Don't.

In any case she had Tassadar, Zeratul & Raynor on the ropes when Aldaris & Artanis showed up with a protoss fleet & chased her off. Presumably she still hadn't left Char then, as at the end of the Protoss campaign in Vanilla, it states: "And on the distant world of Char, Kerrigan, the self-styled Queen of Blades knew the time for her ascension was at hand"....Or words to that effect. So she was on Char when she sensed that the Overmind had died.

The StarCraft I manual implies a species iss utterly eradicated once inducted into the Swarm. In this sense, a species is destroyed as it no longer exists independently of the Swarm. As least, that seems to be the "policy".
    Perhaps, but that might depend on what the Zerg is after. They weren't particularly interested in assimilating the Terran's per se, just their psychic potential. that was the original intention, but for whatever reason, the Overmind decided it had obtained all it needed from humanity when it acquired Kerrigan. It even seemed in a bit of a hurry to leave Terran space after that, not wishing to stick around any longer that it absolutely had to.

Metzen stated it's because of the protection afforded by the Khala. But that doesn't explain how the Dark Templar have avoided it. Raszagal is the only Protoss to be "manipulated" in any fashion, but was not infested. I'm thinking Dark Templar may be immune to biological infestation too, though more vulnerable with out the mental discipline of the Khalai.

In short, Protoss are immune for whatever reason. So if they are supposed to only be Half of a Whole... what gives? Perhaps something else is missing?

Maybe the Dark Voice's influence prevents this somehow? No matter how the Zerg try, that missing "something" is due to him?
    Mind you, assimilation and infestation can be mutually exclusive processes given the lack of precise information of how each is really done.

Who knows, the Overmind may have had started assimilating some Protoss during the events of The Fall, but we never see them because we're focused only on the Protoss POV in that campaign and perhaps they were still "cooking" since it did take awhile for Kerrigan to emerge (not to mention she still wasn't at full power upon her emergence)

The Overmind seemed convinced that the only way to properly assimilate the Protoss was to be manifested on Aiur. Perhaps it wasn't explicitly seeking suicide?
    It is never quite clear why the Overmind actually wants to manifest on Aiur at all. The above is just implied (perhaps heavily in hindsight) given the overall goal of the Overmind at that point in time.

Because it was a (fairly) loose thread, I used to fancon an idea (before WoL came out that is) that the Overmind was attempting to tap into the energy nexus surrounding Aiur to connect to an intergalactic Overmind network, thereby contacting and calling the rest of the Zerg from the universe to the Koprulu Sector. Given the smallish nature of the Zerg force (each Brood only numbered in the thousands with biggest a few million) in the K sector and the haste in which the Overmind decided to attack Aiur, contrasted with the difficult journey the Zerg would have had to undertake to reach the sector in terms of time and sheer luck required to find the Protoss, it seemed like a plausible theory. Alas, it was not be...

We're assuming that the Overmind that did everything in The Overmind campaign is the same one that seeks to free the Swarm. Yet it seemed perfectly in control, never once raging against its nature. It wanted everything that happened in StarCraft I to happen. And it did. Perhaps we never saw the aspect of it that raged. It was sequestered away somewhere, hidden from us.
    The delineation between the directive/DV influence and the real Overmind's motivation (let alone explaining it's actual actions!) is never made clear and I'm quite sure it will never be either .

We're currently saying that the Overmind's motivation for its actions are the same with or without the DV influence/directive. In other words, we've established that the Overmind would've done the exact same stuff in Sc1 even without the DV influence (as in, if the DV never existed at all). In itself, this means that the introduction of the DV influence/directive in reality is useless - it adds nothing to what we know already except for now being a complicated and unnecessary plot-point that gives the distinct possibility that the real Overmind motivations may be wholesome. Surely, you have to understand by now why people then start to rage and think the Overmind has the possibility of being "good" now don't you?

Speaking of rage, why should it (the Overmind) and what about - it was winning and everything was still (as we've established) going according to it's secret plan, right? The only thing I can think of why it should rage is because the Overmind MUST die if Kerrigan is to be (well, at least to be set on the path to being, so to speak) wholly free and save the Zerg because it knows it has a corrupting influence on her. The whole DV influence and the Overmind's secret manipulations for it's goal predicates on the fact that the Overmind has to die. Therefore, the "cover" of seeking to manifest on Aiur to assimilation (taken as a euphemism for "destroy" which is what the DV/directive wants) the Protoss is really just masking the Overmind's goal of committing suicide. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense and requires yet more fluffery to explain an already ludicrous and unnecessarily complicated situation.

If so, we have the same situation with the Overmind as we do now with Kerrigan. In "All In", there was the Queen of Blades persona, and hidden away was the shadow of the original Kerrigan. That second persona somehow gained enough strength to break through the Zerg conditioning.
    I can appreciate the irony that Blizz is aiming for (if indeed that's what they're even attempting ) going down this path because we're looking at the dichotomy (split personality of "potential" good and evil) of a dichotomy (Overmind and Kerrigan) but I don't find it rather tasteful the way they're doing it right now.

The big issue with this is that it has the potential to ruin the Zerg's identity. They were quite established initially but now we're not too sure where they stand with all these split personalities emanating from the major representatives of that race. It has the potential to render the entire Zerg race as nothing more than a plot-device when contrasted with the Terran and Protoss races as a whole.

The even bigger issue I have is that both Kerrigan and the Overmind in SC1/BW arguably share as much metaphysical free will as any other character in the SC universe but we are then told they are not due to some plot contrivance (infestation/possible DV corruption for Kerrigan and the directive for the Overmind). The whole point of BW (daresay the biggest impact and import of it) is that Kerrigan is of one-mind. Being upended like this, in my mind, means it can be potentially "open season" for any other character in that universe. There is literally nothing that can stop them from revealing that Raynor is an amnesiac Xel'Naga who are in turn, revealed to be time-travelling future humans.

Is it the same with the Overmind? The shadow of the true Overmind just never explicitly broke through the conditioning? It worked "behind the scenes"; perhaps it originated the doubts in the Overmind before it found humanity, making the Swarm believe it couldn't win without another strong psychic species to combat the Protoss?
    It could be. As I've said before, it's rather murky/complex for the sake of being murky/complex.

Besides, the Overmind initially "despairing" at not finding psionic potential to fight the Protoss could just be seen as general anxiety, anticipation or having unrealistic expectations (hey, who says it couldn't experience those things, too?) and not really as a roadblock to stop it from beating the Protoss in reality. In hindsight, it seemed to do fine without Kerrigan.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonjunkie View Post
    Perhaps, but that might depend on what the Zerg is after. They weren't particularly interested in assimilating the Terran's per se, just their psychic potential. that was the original intention, but for whatever reason, the Overmind decided it had obtained all it needed from humanity when it acquired Kerrigan. It even seemed in a bit of a hurry to leave Terran space after that, not wishing to stick around any longer that it absolutely had to.
    My sentiments exactly. This makes Kerrigan's inflated importance (which is even more heavily stamped in WoL) somewhat of a plot-hole, too, if you think about it in this light. The Terrans are supposed to be weak psionically, yet Kerrigan turns out to be the best in the entire universe? Why bother assimilating the Protoss then, the Overmind already achieved it's goal of incorporating the best psionic ever. Pre-WoL, Kerrigan was seen as something special but nothing more than a stepping stone for the real goal of the Protoss.

Makes you wonder about the whole Kerrigan as the sole saviour of the Zerg thing, as well. Wouldn't a Protoss be a better fit because they're supposed to be the best psionics? Is Kerrigan's inflated importance only due to the Overmind's inability (or getting killed before it could) to find anything better? If so, why is the DV destined to be defeated only with Kerrigans specific presence? How is the (real) Overmind so incredibly lucky to have things work out the way it really wanted without having any further influence?

the Overmind was attempting to tap into the energy nexus surrounding Aiur to connect to an intergalactic Overmind network
    Dude -- dude -- get out of my head! That's what I always thought! I thought the Overmind needed Khaydarin in order to merge its consciousness with Aiur, making Aiur its true manifestation, and thereby insinuate its essence through out the communal link and thereby BECOME the Protoss! I always liked to think this was the reason Fenix's blades shorted out; the Overmind fooled with the Psionic Matrix and experimented with blocking the Protoss' powers! The Overmind also used this as a bridge to stir up the ancient racial hatred inherent in all Protoss to push them into a civil war, which ultimately resulted in their disunion and destruction of the Conclave.

I was working on a campaign a couple years back that revolved around this entire plot. I need to revisit that. >_>

Now, we've been talking a lot about the Overmind and Kerrigan's role. But what about the infamous Mengsk plot? Who controlled Tychus, Arcturus or Valerian? And did Mengsk ever really expect Tychus to ever be able to kill Kerrigan, or did he originally just send Tychus to spy on Raynor? During the invasion of Char, maybe Arcturus found himself with an unexpected advantage in Tychus and tried to use him?

However, with all the evidence pointing to Kerrigan being Tychus' target from the get-go, I somehow find this unlikely.

My sentiments exactly. This makes Kerrigan's inflated importance (which is even more heavily stamped in WoL) somewhat of a plot-hole, too, if you think about it in this light. The Terrans are supposed to be weak psionically, yet Kerrigan turns out to be the best in the entire universe? Why bother assimilating the Protoss then, the Overmind already achieved it's goal of incorporating the best psionic ever. Pre-WoL, Kerrigan was seen as something special but nothing more than a stepping stone for the real goal of the Protoss.
    I half expect HotS to reveal that Kerrigan was put in the exact right place at the exact right time by some agent of a "Higher Power"; ie she was put directly in the path of the Zerg Swarm for the sole reason of being assimilated. I don't want it to happen, it's just something I see being "revealed".

Anyways, I think Kerrigan's psionic power was bolstered and enhanced by Zerg genetic manipulation, not just unlocked. Zeratul himself is in absolute awe at the power of the Hybrid, yet never expresses such fear of Kerrigan. So a Protoss-Zerg coupling would probably be far stronger than her.

Finally, you question whether Kerrigan is the sole saviour of the Swarm. I respond with; Who will be the new Queen of Blades? Well, I think they're going to pull a Lich King on us; one Queen will fall, leaving the path open for another to take the throne. Anyone remember that female Protoss shown in some HotS material aboard the Leviathen?

Yeaaah...

But, I could be wrong. One of Sarah's goals is to craft a breed of Zerg capable of directing its own evolution, a Metamorph. This would possibly mean that the very foundation of the Hive Mind will be shaken; that no one individual -- no Brood Mother, no Overmind, no Cerebrate or Queen of Blades -- will ever rule over the Zerg Swarm again.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 04-25-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Dude -- dude -- get out of my head! That's what I always thought!
    Heh, heh I guess great minds think alike.

I think our mutual idea has great mileage to it. At the least, it enables the Zerg to be relevant and honest in a non-plot-device-y (no other word seems to fit) sort of way compared to what we are currently heading towards with WoL.

Now, we've been talking a lot about the Overmind and Kerrigan's role. But what about the infamous Mengsk plot? Who controlled Tychus, Arcturus or Valerian? And did Mengsk ever really expect Tychus to ever be able to kill Kerrigan, or did he originally just send Tychus to spy on Raynor? During the invasion of Char, maybe Arcturus found himself with an unexpected advantage in Tychus and tried to use him?

However, with all the evidence pointing to Kerrigan being Tychus' target from the get-go, I somehow find this unlikely.
    A Blizzcon panel shows Brian Kindregan explaining (after Metzen actually admits that this is a plothole and then has no further comment...) that Mengsk did not really have a plan when he released Tychus - I think he used the term "fishing" as an analogy. Mengsk was merely hoping for something to bite - and as Wol plays out something did. It's funny, WoL seems to have this running theme of specific minuscule chances that tend to happen exactly anyway as if they were pre-ordained - oh wait, they kind of are...

I'm not sure what "evidence" you're speaking of here. You may need to elaborate but I'm assuming you mean that Queen of Blades cinematic in WoL, right? There's many ways that that scene can be taken. It has some foreshadowing of events to come but I think it works largely as a framing device to get a better handle on the character of Tychus more than anything else. Sure you can use the endpoint of WoL and then say Tychus was always gunning for her in hindsight but that's far from conclusive and rather circumstantial I might add.

I half expect HotS to reveal that Kerrigan was put in the exact right place at the exact right time by some agent of a "Higher Power"; ie she was put directly in the path of the Zerg Swarm for the sole reason of being assimilated. I don't want it to happen, it's just something I see being "revealed".
    The "epicness" of such a scenario is ringing quite "hollow" for me (it started with WoL frankly). I've somewhat resigned myself to the fact that something similar to what you've described is going to transpire.

I always found it more poetic that Kerrigan's induction was just happenstance and that she was just a special but mostly regular (if you catch my drift) character. It seems that shit these days can't just happen and mean anything unless it was foretold, prophecised or manipulated by some god/alien/whatever.

So a Protoss-Zerg coupling would probably be far stronger than her.
    And yet the only chance the DV can ever be defeated hinges upon her very survival. Go figure....

Finally, you question whether Kerrigan is the sole saviour of the Swarm. I respond with; Who will be the new Queen of Blades? Well, I think they're going to pull a Lich King on us; one Queen will fall, leaving the path open for another to take the throne.
    I counter with why is the import of having a Queen of Blades necessary anyway (aside from saying the "plot demands it!")? The Zerg were fine without one before.

One of Sarah's goals is to craft a breed of Zerg capable of directing its own evolution, a Metamorph. This would possibly mean that the very foundation of the Hive Mind will be shaken; that no one individual -- no Brood Mother, no Overmind, no Cerebrate or Queen of Blades -- will ever rule over the Zerg Swarm again.
    Interesting idea. However, "ruling the Swarm" only became a purview for Kerrigan. The Overmind was not specifically "ruling" the Swarm because the entire collective consciousness of the Zerg was the Overmind. The goal of the Overmind is (or was) the goal of the Zerg Swarm in general.
    Last edited by Turalyon; 04-26-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Heh, heh I guess great minds think alike.

My campaign had so many plot threads and ideas that it rivaled WoL in terms of being weighed down with implausible events and coincidences.

But the root of all the problems rested on the Khaydarin Crystal used by the Overmind. It was imprinted with the instincts and passions of the Overmind. Survivors on Aiur were bound to it, forging something similar to a Protoss Hive Mind. The climactic mission had the Heroes assaulting a fortress on Aiur, and the Crystal would reincarnate its Protoss warriors like Cerebrates as Revenants (represented by Archons in the game). It came close to forging a Protoss-Zerg Hybrid by pulling on the instincts imprinted in each race.

A Blizzcon panel shows Brian Kindregan explaining [...] that Mengsk did not really have a plan when he released Tychus - I think he used the term "fishing" as an analogy.
    Okay, yeah that's what I choose to believe. I just wonder how Tychus came to be Valerian's man, too. Tychus' strings are being pulled by two puppeteers here. Arcturus releases him; Valerian drafts him as his Moebius contact to unearth Artifacts his father is searching for and actively dredging up; Arcturus orders Tychus to kill Kerrigan on pain of death.

I just wonder how both use Tychus without the other knowing. Unless, of course, they both know the other is using him, and engage in a little father-son bonding experience (read: contest of wills) with Tychus as the mutual pawn. "Okay, Dad, I'll have Tychus do... this. Now it's your turn." "Hm, well played, Son, but what do you do when Tychus does THAT?"

I counter with why is the import of having a Queen of Blades necessary anyway (aside from saying the "plot demands it!")? The Zerg were fine without one before.
    I think it's partly a matter of story telling. The Zerg are given a human face when they induct Kerrigan into their ranks, and we gain a much more personal plot where the Zerg are involved, ie Kerry's love affair with Raynor and vendetta against Mengsk. Moreover, with the Overmind killed, the Zerg would fall prey to their instincts and have Cerebrates create successive Overminds.

Though it would be interesting to see just what would happen in the StarCraft story if Kerrigan never existed. Fun specultion time is fun.

And you know it's funny. Neither Kerrigan nor Tychus were originally meant to serve roles as singificant as they became. It's only after a while do the writers go, "Let's make this character something HUGE."
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 04-26-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Aaand sold.

It'd make sense if one of the ways in which the zerg could do this is sterilization via toxin. They might not reveal their location, but they can always get a few overlords to produce sterilizing agents.

Humanity is a particularly stubborn species on the other hand (sterilize them and there's still plenty of them waiting to be recruited to keep up the fight, there's still cloning, still the breeding of pure eugenical clones, etc.) - so I think the zerg have needed to adapt in turn.

My campaign had so many plot threads and ideas that it rivaled WoL in terms of being weighed down with implausible events and coincidences.

But the root of all the problems rested on the Khaydarin Crystal used by the Overmind. It was imprinted with the instincts and passions of the Overmind. Survivors on Aiur were bound to it, forging something similar to a Protoss Hive Mind. The climactic mission had the Heroes assaulting a fortress on Aiur, and the Crystal would reincarnate its Protoss warriors like Cerebrates as Revenants (represented by Archons in the game). It came close to forging a Protoss-Zerg Hybrid by pulling on the instincts imprinted in each race.
    Wow. I hadn't thought of it as far as you have nor in this particular detail but it sure does sound sweet.

My fancon was merely just a means to continue the exploration of the theme of how the Zerg represent the ultimate and inevitable doom of everything in the K sector. It (my fancon) actually puts a lot of weight and significance on the Overmind's victory (it's landing on Aiur) by signifying that the invading Zerg were currently just an expeditionary force that was hoping to reconnect with the universal Zerg Swarm!

It also dovetails nicely with Kerrigan feelings at the end of BW - she was feeling "empty" in her victories as well as not shaking the feelings of a threat on the horizon. Because the only hint of fear Kerrigan ever expresses (prior to WoL that is) is when she discusses the possibility of a new Overmind taking control of her again, I thought that this could be the threat that she was trying to gear up for.

Okay, yeah that's what I choose to believe. I just wonder how Tychus came to be Valerian's man, too. Tychus' strings are being pulled by two puppeteers here. Arcturus releases him; Valerian drafts him as his Moebius contact to unearth Artifacts his father is searching for and actively dredging up; Arcturus orders Tychus to kill Kerrigan on pain of death.

I just wonder how both use Tychus without the other knowing. Unless, of course, they both know the other is using him, and engage in a little father-son bonding experience (read: contest of wills) with Tychus as the mutual pawn. "Okay, Dad, I'll have Tychus do... this. Now it's your turn." "Hm, well played, Son, but what do you do when Tychus does THAT?"
    It's a big loose end that needs tying up. Who knows, those two might even be in cahoots with each other. Maybe they've had a change of heart toward each other and now want to turn the Emperorship into a "Father & Son" thing.

I think it's partly a matter of story telling. The Zerg are given a human face when they induct Kerrigan into their ranks, and we gain a much more personal plot where the Zerg are involved, ie Kerry's love affair with Raynor and vendetta against Mengsk.
    If handled right, nothing is off-limits. Humanising the Zerg can only go one of two ways which I shouldn't have to elaborate on... Given that "humanising" and "Zerg" don't seem like a natural fit, you can't blame people for having knee-jerk reactions about the idea.

Though it would be interesting to see just what would happen in the StarCraft story if Kerrigan never existed. Fun specultion time is fun.
    Well, for one thing, if Kerrigan was never around the Protoss may have come off a little bit better (as in something slightly better than not 'seemingly on the verge of extinction') with their exchange against the Zerg.
    Last edited by Turalyon; 04-29-2012 at 02:12 AM.