Thread: New matchmaking system

Default New matchmaking system

How will this work out? I haven't played any ladder since like forever, because I felt that I always had to play at the same level and that I didn't really felt any progress.

Will this work out better? Or will it just feel like every now and then you win a game, and then you get stomped in another because the players are generally better than you.
    If you don't know what you are doing none else will either, this includes your opponents. Use this knowledge wisely.
    Oatmeal, are you crazy?

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: New matchmaking system

Sure, won't take a decade to get promoted now, and the varied experience will be more enjoyable IMHO.

I actually think promotion might come too fast, if only due to bonus points. I seem to lose a lot fewer points for, well, losing than I gain for winning. In a previous season I was consistently ranked higher than what I believed I should have been, although I did eventually get dropped a league. Still, sometimes I was finding myself facing opponents two leagues above me, and not just once at a time!
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Season 7 has started today. Has this been announced anywhere? I had to play one placement match.

I was faced against a complete noob I zergling-rushed his early expansion and just kept pumping zerglings. First he said "didn't see that coming" but as he lost said "please go [censored] yourself" and then quit.

My current rank is about 30 places below what it was at the end of season 6. I also wonder what happened to the "best of 8 per league" tournaments.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Sure, won't take a decade to get promoted now, and the varied experience will be more enjoyable IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    I actually think promotion might come too fast, if only due to bonus points. I seem to lose a lot fewer points for, well, losing than I gain for winning. In a previous season I was consistently ranked higher than what I believed I should have been, although I did eventually get dropped a league. Still, sometimes I was finding myself facing opponents two leagues above me, and not just once at a time!
    as far as i duenrstand it, points have no direct corelation to promotions.

... The new system makes it a bit more random who you face in any given game; youl sometimes face players significantly better than you and sometimes face palyers significantly worse. the vairiance up 'til now has not been as big.

i suppose this might make it easier to get promoted, if you are either improving your game so consistently that you can sometimes beat even heavily favoured opponents, while also being stable enough to only lose to lesser opponents VERY rarely. i wouldnt expect much of a differance in promotions though.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Nobody said points have anything to do with promotions. Beating tougher opponents does give you a higher MMR though. Blizzard even confirmed this:

These adjustments to the matchmaking system could also result in some players earning faster league promotions for stringing together wins against higher-ranked opponents.

The system didn't work, at least until Blizzard tweaked it. Link: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/520...4_23_2012#blog

The last game I played, I'm at the bottom of my division and I faced someone at the top. I hope that doesn't keep happening.