Thread: Battle.net usage stat

Default Battle.net usage stat

I think I remember a discussion on this topic but since it is probably old, I'll make a new one.

So when you log onto SC2, it tells you the following:

-Number of players on b.net
    -Number of sc2 games worldwide
    -Number of sc2 games in your region
    -Number of players in chats

Are those stats actually accurate? I usually see around 20k sc2 players worldwide. This is a really poor number honestly considering this game is supposed to be ''big'' in Korea. What I find even more weird is that it says that there are around 750 000 players on B.net. This probably does not include the WoW players(which are supposed to be millions) but there are only 20k sc2 players, can there really be 730k gamers on diablo 2 and sc1? This seems extremely unlikely.

Another interesting observation is that the chat channels contains usually around 200-300 players. Probably 3 time less than the number of players asking for those same chat channels

Assuming those statistic are corrects, do you think that the community is dying?

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Battle.net usage stat

The 20,000 you're talking about is current games.

That's not too bad. I just logged on and saw ~14,000 games. The majority of which are UMS and teams games, so, let's say 6 players per game. That's 84,000 players, which is in line with what Blizzard games have always been.

Assuming those statistic are corrects, do you think that the community is dying?
    I doubt it. It especially doesn't feel that way. It's just that in the past the user number was IMMENSELY inflated due to bots.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-23-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."

Default Re: Battle.net usage stat

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    I think I remember a discussion on this topic but since it is probably old, I'll make a new one.

So when you log onto SC2, it tells you the following:

-Number of players on b.net
    -Number of sc2 games worldwide
    -Number of sc2 games in your region
    -Number of players in chats

Are those stats actually accurate? I usually see around 20k sc2 players worldwide. This is a really poor number honestly considering this game is supposed to be ''big'' in Korea. What I find even more weird is that it says that there are around 750 000 players on B.net. This probably does not include the WoW players(which are supposed to be millions) but there are only 20k sc2 players, can there really be 730k gamers on diablo 2 and sc1? This seems extremely unlikely.

Another interesting observation is that the chat channels contains usually around 200-300 players. Probably 3 time less than the number of players asking for those same chat channels

Remember that while you're awake and playing, half the world is asleep .

Also, I don't think SC2 really took off that well in korea.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    You are very weird man. Have you no logic?
    And again you had to be pretty big noob about PC not to know about the change, I mean even the birds on the trees knew about it.

...Its like calling throwing stone an athletic competition. Get a grip man and don't write nonsense...
    Shot put anyone?