Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SC2 Custom Campaigns

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default SC2 Custom Campaigns

Any good custom campaigns that you guys ran into? I've always enjoyed playing these in SC1. Seems like the trouble with most of them now is that there is no default talking animation. It's pretty bothersome to make a good campaign at the moment for SC2.

Nevertheless, this one seems to have decent triggering & mission design: http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/proditor-campaign/

Even though the lore makes no sense, it's the only thing I've found that didn't look like it was designed by an 8 year old.
    Last edited by Gradius; 12-29-2013 at 03:40 PM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: SC2 Custom Campaigns

Oh god yes. I need a topic like this. I've been waiting for some good campaigns. I was a custom campaign feed in the original. I have still have a DVD I burned like seven years ago with 4.5GBs or so of campaigns. Monstrous.

But, like you said, SC2 been a disappointment so far. I had so much hope given the improved tools and the marketplace and, yet, nothing. WTF?

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I must say that creating campaigns in SC2 is much harder than SC or WCIII, but its WAY WAY WAY more satisfactory and polished.

Blizzard should improve their Battle.net platform if they want a boost on campaign creations, but it looks like they have moved all their battle.net resources into other games or mecanics.

I've been playing this campaign recently.
    It's a re-make of the SC1 Terran Campaign. I've also dled the Zerg and Protoss Campaign but havn't gotten to them yet. So far so good, a issue here or there that I would change, but nothing all that noticable.
    The creator even implemented the old damage system and each weapon's tool tip tells you how much damage it does to each type. Just like SC1 but way more transparent with that tool tip.
    This also reminds me why Blizzard changed the Hydra. OMG if that thing was the way it was in SC1 combined with Roaches, no one would ever take a game off of Zerg again ^_^
    Last edited by TheProgramer; 03-01-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    We can't stop them from comming, but by God we can make them limp home!

*ick! I just found out that Husky has found this mod and has played torugh it on his channel. Ugh just made this whole thing less interesting. Watched all of two minutes of it and within two minutes he made me turn it off. Let me quote:

"The StarCraft 1 campaign is phenomenal by the way, there is a really awesome story in StarCraft 1 just like there is a really good story in StarCraft 2."

-Husky
    We can't stop them from comming, but by God we can make them limp home!

Quote Originally Posted by TheProgramer View Post
    *ick! I just found out that Husky has found this mod and has played torugh it on his channel. Ugh just made this whole thing less interesting. Watched all of two minutes of it and within two minutes he made me turn it off. Let me quote:
    You really shouldn't judge by Husky's comment. I mean, unlike SC2, SC1 had pretty good campaign, missions and story line.
    "Living for the Swarm!"

SCII's storyline was really bad, but the campaign mecanics and missions where great. I had fun playing through the campaign, if I ignored the fact that all the maps were connected.

Has Legacy of the Confederation: Trial by Fire come out yet?

I also have to say, having gone through numerous fan campaigns, that mission design is more important to me than story. I can find (if I crawl through Fanfiction.net) good fanfiction. Too often, I've gone through good campaigns that have only good writing, or ones where most of the missions are "veteran level" compstomps.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Yeah the SC1 mod is kinda fun. I also don't get the anger toward SC2 campaign beyond the story. Yes, the story was bad and hard to ignore at first, but the missions are pretty fun if you can get past that.

My only problem is I'm sick of playing as Terran for 26 missions and Protoss (kind of) for 5. I prefer the original system, which also doesn't imply focus on a specific race for multiplayer during the expansions (I'm not saying they will focus on the race of each expansion, but noobs will expect changes to primarily focus on the main race of each expansion... "How come Legacy of the Void adds less new Protoss units than Terran and Zerg. That makes no sense!"

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Has Legacy of the Confederation: Trial by Fire come out yet?
    It was post-poned for a year or so but resumed "full production in October.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.