Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: BlizzCon Cancelled

  1. #21

    Default Re: BlizzCon Cancelled

    Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    Actually, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Spend 10 minutes on DiabloFans.com and you'll see just how much is missing.

    There was even a blue post when the beta first started listing numerous things that aren't in the beta, in response to opinions similar to yours.



    Diablo 3 has had less delays and is closer to release than StarCraft II was when it kept getting delayed, and, yet, StarCraft II was released.
    True on the Diablo 3 comment to an extent, but not as badly as you claim it to be. It's pretty much from beta feed back on why that stupid nephalem cube and skill mechanic was removed from the game.

    For SC2, it's arguable for the development hell, but SC2 was never "restarted" nor was the team forced to relocate or quit. Now with the Diablo 3 executive producer leaving along with core game mechanics being removed - I'm starting to worry. SC2's development delay was understandable given the "reboot" of Battle.net.

    Oh well, I'm pretty occupied with BF3/SWTOR to even care anymore. It'll be done when it's done


    Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    You are very weird man. Have you no logic?
    And again you had to be pretty big noob about PC not to know about the change, I mean even the birds on the trees knew about it.

    ...Its like calling throwing stone an athletic competition. Get a grip man and don't write nonsense...
    Shot put anyone?

  2. #22
    TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,895

    Default Re: BlizzCon Cancelled

    It's pretty much from beta feed back on why that stupid nephalem cube and skill mechanic was removed from the game.
    That's about 3% of what was mentioned.

    SC2 was never "restarted" nor was the team forced to relocate or quit
    The original was restarted and it made it. WC3 was rebooted more than any other game, and it made it. StarCraft 2 was started, then stopped, then restarted. The same idea as a reboot given the engine changes. Diablo 3 was rebooted because the original team left but not since then.

    The bottom line is that Diablo 3's problem should be nothing new a Blizzard follower, and, are, in fact, arguably less servere than past games.



    Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

  3. #23

    Default Re: BlizzCon Cancelled

    LOL, that is all I have to say.
    Began the day off with a smile!

  4. #24

    Default Re: BlizzCon Cancelled

    Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    That's about 3% of what was mentioned.



    The original was restarted and it made it. WC3 was rebooted more than any other game, and it made it. StarCraft 2 was started, then stopped, then restarted. The same idea as a reboot given the engine changes. Diablo 3 was rebooted because the original team left but not since then.

    The bottom line is that Diablo 3's problem should be nothing new a Blizzard follower, and, are, in fact, arguably less servere than past games.
    Dude, Diablo 3 started development after Diablo 2 Expansion (2001).
    Bill Roper and friends left in 2003, you're telling me that isn't "development hell"?

    The reboots for WC3 and SC1 were totally different from this, the team was not "told to move", an entire studio was shut down. While you are right about many of the Blizzard games going through dramatic changes, its quite obvious from what's happening in Diablo 3 (you could say a second reboot). Diablo 3 is having far more troubles than previous titles. When a senior producer leaves this far into the production of a huge project, that's hardly "nothing". This has never happened to any other Blizzard title. Diablo 3 has now experienced high level execs (Bill Roper) leaving, an entire studio shut down by it's parent arm due to the lack of quality, and now an indefinite delay and a senior game producer leaving, all in a great span of 9-10 years.


    Especially for a game that resembles it's predecessor more than any of the other titles you mentioned (SC2, WC3). Honestly I don't know why we waited 9 years to have Diablo 2.5 with a naphelem cube, only to be removed at the last second.

    Source:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Act...cer,14539.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_North


    EDIT:

    Well now this thread has almost derailed...I'mma leave my commentary on Diablo 3 at this.

    But back on topic....$#$@#! I graduate this year and I was planning on going - now they cancel :X. Though I suppose it is for the better, I guess it'll suck going to a Blizzcon with nothing significant to see or play.
    Last edited by hyde; 02-02-2012 at 01:18 AM.


    Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    You are very weird man. Have you no logic?
    And again you had to be pretty big noob about PC not to know about the change, I mean even the birds on the trees knew about it.

    ...Its like calling throwing stone an athletic competition. Get a grip man and don't write nonsense...
    Shot put anyone?

  5. #25

    Default Re: BlizzCon Cancelled

    I been a little disconnected from this but when will be the next wwi?
    Hey guys I want you all to know that my team is playing/did great this weekend so I am going to go ahead and make it my status because I know you all care and want to know my opinion on it.
    -sports fan/douchebag


    Visit my blog!
    http://alejandrolc.com/

  6. #26

    Default Re: BlizzCon Cancelled

    Quote Originally Posted by Genopath View Post
    I been a little disconnected from this but when will be the next wwi?
    Soon. (TM)

  7. #27

    Default Re: BlizzCon Cancelled

    It's about time they stop pimping their work in progress and actually focus on releasing a damn game.

    D3 is turning out to be a pretty big disappointment and I'm quite disillusioned about it. They're really simplifying the game.
    Last edited by Blazur; 02-03-2012 at 11:39 AM.

  8. #28
    TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,895

    Default Re: BlizzCon Cancelled

    Bill Roper and friends left in 2003, you're telling me that isn't "development hell"?
    Nope, it's not. Diablo 3 was delayed during this time for the same reason that StarCraft 2 was, World of WarCraft. Since it was rebooted, it's been smooth sailing by Blizzard's standards. Pretty sure you were worried about StarCraft 2 as well, so I can only assume you're a chronic worrier, to be honest. I even remember your worries about SC2's melee, so, yeah.

    Senior level executives leave all the time. I've been following several others games where executive designers leave late-game. That's usually an indication that the game is done and they want to move on to something else, or are burned out of a particular company's environment (Read: Blizzard fans). There's numerous examples and yet I can't remember any because they never actually materially effected the game. I do know that R&D1, Nintendo subcompanies, and Sony subcompanies are prone to switching executives mid-game.

    Furthermore, you have to put this situation in perspective of the entire industry. Right now technology stocks and hype for companies are reaching highs not seen since the height of the dot-com bubble and gaming sales are slumping quite a bit. That's quite the difference. Executives in all areas of the industry are being traded around since the areas of technology which have been fueling the industry for the last fifteen years are struggling while news areas of the market are opening up. This is having a profound effect on companies like Activision. I wouldn't doubt that the decision was based on something not related to the game.

    There's also speculation that international concerns such as the Korean ratings agencies had something to do with the delay, which would make sense since the delay announcement was released the same day as the news about the ratings agency.

    Either way, Blizzard is not going to let Diablo 3 go into development hell. That's for lesser financially sound companies. There's no strong indicators that they're doing anything other than their normal "ready when it's ready" strategy. Besides, given that ATVI stocks were suffering at the moment, Activision would never let Diablo 3 go into development hell. So, Diablo 3 will be released within a reasonable time frame eve if for no other reason than Bobby Kotick is an "evil capitalist pig".

    They're really simplifying the game.
    I can't think of anything that was removed that wasn't already unnecessarily complicated to begin with.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 02-03-2012 at 06:03 PM.



    Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Similar Threads

  1. Blizzcon 09 Q&A
    By ArcherofAiur in forum StarCraft II Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2009, 05:49 PM
  2. Who is Going to Blizzcon?
    By Dread_Reaper in forum StarCraft II Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-16-2009, 10:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •