Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Karune speaks on massive unit transportation.

Exclamation Karune speaks on massive unit transportation.

Source: Massive Unit Transportation
    So I got a chance to see the dropship carry the thor around at PAX this weekend, and it was a really cool visual. For those who don't know, the dropship can carry a thor, but instead of the thor actually going inside the dropship, it just sort of curls up and literally just gets picked up by the dropship. So you can actually see a huge friggin thor on the underside of the medivac as its flying around.

Personally, I liked it so much that I'd like to see this sort of animation for siege tanks too. But I'm more curious about what happens in team games if you try to move other races large units. Can the dropship carry an ultralisk or a collosus? Can an overlord carry a thor or a collosus? I don't think its very likely, but how hilarious would it be to see an utlralisk hanging from the bottom of a medivac?
    Currently this is a temporary animation as well - I think they are looking at ways of making it even cooler looking than it looks now.

When we've figured out a way to display the Colossus and Ultralisk visually I will let you know, but in the meantime there isn't much to say about it - it is a Medivac carrying an Ultralisk...

Whoa....are you saying that in team games players can share a transport?!? Man if that's the case it drastically changes the dynamics of these types of games. How does it operate? Can an ally pick up any allies unit, or must that player manually load the units in an allied dropship? Please elaborate Karune.

Thanks.
    He's not necessarily saying that. This is something that would come up in single-player missions where you control multiple races simultaneously. You can transport your own units of another race, but I doubt you can transport allied players' units at all.
    Correct.
    Last edited by n00bonicPlague; 09-10-2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Default Re: Karune speaks on massive unit transportation.

I am rather glad to hear this. Little visual things will be nice, and will probably make the reaction of - "Oh shit, he's dropshipping a Thor" more interesting.

X

Actually, i didn't think about that, but it's possible that we aren't going to see Ultralisks or Colossus hanging from Dropships. Certainly wouldn't make too much sense. Protoss are excent of that problem: everything is just converted to energy.

Crota's Avatar Junior Member

Perhaps we will see the warp prism buzzing with energy as he is transporting a larger unit? It would give a nice visual effect to the extent of... oh crap I'm using a lot of energy just to move this guy.

Well they have to do some sort of visual. What if a player controls more than one race?

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Where's Nicol? He's going come bursting into this thread so he can write a dissertation on why a transforming Thor is bad, the visuals waste time, and that it should just be loaded like any other unit.

HA! - Well, Nicol's transforming Thor aside....(and while also noting I am totally about cool visuals.) Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the enemy will see your 'flying' Thor from a mile away, and instinctively target that Dropship...?

Last edited by Caliban113; 09-10-2009 at 02:31 PM.
    "Wait.....no Gzhee-Gzhee.....?.....whu......Why no Ghzhee-Gzhee?!?!?!?!"

RIP - Leslie Nielsen

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban113 View Post
    HA! - Well, Nicol's transforming Thor aside....(and while noting I am totally about cool visuals.) Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the enemy will see your 'flying' Thor from a mile away, and instinctively taget that Dropship...?
    Yeah. I would much prefer giving massive units a delay in load and unload time where they can collapse/transform/whatever and then hide within the transport.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Opponents will always target a dropship when they see it, dropships are the most expensive transport now for the Terrans, and don't have the power of phase prisms or the massability of overlords (and effectiveness of Nydus worms).

So regardless of whatever is inside the dropship, an expensive target is an expensive target.
    Although I suppose there should be a perk to letting the enemy know you have a super expensive unit attached to your dropship... like if your dropship got destroy it should drop the Thor so that the Thor doesn't die or something... but w/e that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    Although I suppose there should be a perk to letting the enemy know you have a super expensive unit attached to your dropship... like if your dropship got destroy it should drop the Thor so that the Thor doesn't die or something... but w/e that's just me.
    That's a damn fine idea.