Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Spider-mines be Recalled?

Default Re: Can Spider-mines be Recalled?

Okay......

Quote Originally Posted by n00bonicPlague View Post
    UPDATE: Finished list.

Okay, so I tested out every single ability from each race out on my own Spider
    Mines and on enemy Spider Mines, and here's what I've found that works:

While burrowed OR unburrowed:
    — Parasite
    — Optical Flare
    — Restoration
    — Defensive Matrix
    — Yamato Cannon
    — Psionic Storm
    — Hallucination
    — Disruption Web

ONLY while unburrowed:
    — Ensnare
    — Plague
    — Irradiate
    — Recall
    — Stasis Field

Abilities that don't work:
    — Spawn Broodling
    — Consume
    — Lockdown
    — Heal
    — Repair
    — EMP Shockwave
    — Mind Control
    — Feedback
    — Maelstrom

NOTES:

Parasite could be pretty useful, as it enables you too see what the mine sees and will permanently reveal its location. Optical Flare technically Blinds the mine, but its regular vision is already so short that it doesn't make a bit of difference in how it works. Restoration works as normal, removing any abilities that bring harm to the mine. Defensive Matrix works normally as well, minimizing damage dealt to the mine. Yamato Cannon does its thing and kills the mine. Psionic Storm will quickly clear out any mines in the area. Hallucination will spawn two hallucinated mines (I need to test more about this though). Disruption Web will prevent mines from activating an attacking passing enemy units.

Ensnare will slow a mine's speed down, but it is still very, very fast and will still catch up to your fastest ground units after a short time; however, it could give you the chance you need to save that doomed unit via a transport. Plague will work as normal, taking a mine's HP down very low but not killing it. Both Ensnare and Plague reveal the mine's location once it burrows. Irradiate doesn't hurt the mine, but it hurts anything biological around it; however, once it burrows, it stops working (for some odd reason). Recall will jump friendly mines to the Arbiter's location. Stasis Field is the only immobility ability that freezes mines in place.

Spawn Broodling, Heal, and Maelstrom don't work because mines aren't biological. Lockdown and Repair don't work because mines aren't mechanical. Consume doesn't work because mines aren't Zerg. EMP and Feedback don't work because mines don't have shields or energy. Mind Control doesn't work, even though mines seem to be subject to many other "unit targeting" abilities.

One big thing I wanted to test was whether or not mines could be loaded in transports, as this could be used in "bombing" tactics. Unfortunately, they can't. I'm gonna do some more testing on the hallucinated mines. If I missed any abilities, please tell me so. I know I forgot Nukes (kinda pointless, but I just wanna make sure there isn't anything I missed).

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

however, once it burrows, it stops working (for some odd reason).
    Irradiate doesn't do any damage to anything except the target if it's burrowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    Irradiate doesn't do any damage to anything except the target if it's burrowed.
    Ah...

LoTuS's Avatar Junior Member

Actually if u flare mines and separate them, with no vision, the enemy will literally have to step on them to explode, no?

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

I've always wanted to try that actually.

Flare a crapload of mines so that dragoons get pwned and they can't micro their way through.

Quote Originally Posted by LoTuS View Post
    Actually if u flare mines and separate them, with no vision, the enemy will literally have to step on them to explode, no?
    Hmm good point. I could've left the blinded mines to close to the normal ones. I'll go back and test that.

If they are flared, can they still attack DT's and other cloaked units?

u can recal them as long as its above ground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis186 View Post
    If they are flared, can they still attack DT's and other cloaked units?
    Hey that's some important point! How come Spider mines detect dark templars without being "DETECTOR" units? I mean they can sense a dark templar and explode but they are not normal detection units, I mean you can't use them to detect an observer...

Quote Originally Posted by Josue View Post
    Hey that's some important point! How come Spider mines detect dark templars without being "DETECTOR" units? I mean they can sense a dark templar and explode but they are not normal detection units, I mean you can't use them to detect an observer...
    Observers are air units. I bet the spider mine has some sensor to detect cloaked objects touching the ground.