Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starcraft project- what would you want?

Default Starcraft project- what would you want?

Hi,

Starcraft is awesome. I have been playing it since 1998 and I can not get enough of it. In fact, it is the reason that I am going to school for software engineering. In one of my classes there is a project in which we have to create an application that uses a database to solve some problem. Other than that the project domain is completely up to us. What i would like to do is make an application that can be used to find statistics about starcraft 2 players and maps from battlenet data.

My question to you guys is what types of things do you think would be cool for this program to do?

Some of the things that I was thinking would be cool would be to generate statistics for players like w/l ratio for each matchup, or for each map. Another idea I had was that it would be cool if this program could compare stats between two players or teams and make a prediction about who would win against one another.

Any input about what you would want in a program like this would be awesome. GOGOGO!
    Last edited by inverseninja; 10-15-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Default Re: Starcraft project- what would you want?

Wonder how skill differences could be accounted for. Maybe something based on game length. Some players have really good lategame.

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/263528/1/JHammer/

For people of the opinion "I completely will never pay for anything" but still wanting to watch GSL VODs....PM me. (Hint: Sharing is caring)

If you're making an account just to PM me.....don't waste your time.

i doubt bnet is all that acessible when it comes to colecting data on any slightly larger scale; it appears you have to click through everything to even get get to see what you want to see and even then, some things are more or less hidden, like how many points earned from a certain game were bonus and what the w/l ratio is for sub-masters players..

i think these reasons is why no big shit on this has been done already, nothing that goes beyond simple rank/league/rating info at least, to my knowlege.

replay analysis is surely another matter; ven if you look on only a few parameters of data, replays contain much more gameplay information...
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Todie View Post
    i doubt bnet is all that acessible when it comes to colecting data on any slightly larger scale; it appears you have to click through everything to even get get to see what you want to see and even then, some things are more or less hidden, like how many points earned from a certain game were bonus and what the w/l ratio is for sub-masters players..

i think these reasons is why no big shit on this has been done already, nothing that goes beyond simple rank/league/rating info at least, to my knowlege.
    SC2ranks has actually done an amazing job with sorting bnet info. They have plenty of stats.

well yeah, tehyve done what can be done i'd say. but tehre is more info than that in stats from individual matches, but that info isnt easily acessed or sorted en-masse...
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.

Hi.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

well yeah, tehyve done what can be done i'd say. but tehre is more info than that in stats from individual matches, but that info isnt easily acessed or sorted en-masse...
    Indeed, but that's because it's not available online either. SC2ranks only works by crawling through the battle.net website, which is pretty limited.

point i attempted to make in the first palce ->
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Indeed, but that's because it's not available online either. SC2ranks only works by crawling through the battle.net website, which is pretty limited.
    ... with taht in mind, its hard to do anything "new" with player info from Bnet.

Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by JackhammerIV View Post
    Wonder how skill differences could be accounted for. Maybe something based on game length. Some players have really good lategame.
    Thanks for the idea. So like maybe a graph of some sorts that shows average w/l ratio as game time goes on?

replay analysis is surely another matter; ven if you look on only a few parameters of data, replays contain much more gameplay information...
    Yeah I cant use data directly from the battlenet database since they don't have an api, and i only have about 4 weeks between 2 people to create this so I don't think ill have the time to make something that can directly analyze replays. I was planning on mostly pulling the data from sites like sc2ranks and TL until i found out TL doesn't have an api to use right now.

Disregarding how difficult it would be to get some information though, what kind of things would you want to learn from replays?
    Last edited by inverseninja; 10-16-2011 at 12:00 AM.

you cange t this from match history too, but sth interseting is average unspent resources compared to income. there is soem comprehensive work done on this already from some TL contributor, i forget the details.. anyway, tehre was some magic worked with math, calculatin a number from how effectively you spent resources, this is the essence of macro and as such it increases alot with skill (and rank/league etc)

Hi.