Page 99 of 132 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit Pictures

Default Re: Unit Pictures

Eeee!
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

So I've been doing some research since I'm working on my cross sections again, and stumbled across the Mechanics of StarCraft. I just had to share it here since they use Robear's drawings for their purposes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJwP...g5fal45tIsgyOQ

Speaking of which... Kinda wonder if we should have our own video talking about our own theories...
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 10-08-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Robear, this picture has the same scale of your thor or is more big/small ?

Yes, I wanted to discuss this picture. It did look a bit big to me, like 1.2x the size I imagined, but it's possible they're the consistant. Let's see if we can figure it out!

My general rule I've developed is that a Thor's foot should be about the same size as a siege tank, probably not any bigger. Here are my 3 thor/Odin size references, 1, 2, 3, it seems like a reasonable rule, even if it's very imprecise.

So in this new Thor artwork (I hope they release a version of it without the text soon!) all that we can see to compare to the Thor's foot are Zerglings, but thanks to the HotS intro, we do see zerglings and siege tanks at the same size. So I'm gonna roughly estimate their size in numbers of zerglings. Each of these dots roughly represents where a single back scythe arm should be, so, dividing the number of dots by 2 gives us a super rough width of 6 zerglings the middle of the foot.

Now, is a siege tank 6 zerglings wide?

Maybe? I'd say more like 5, but it could easily be 6, they are packed close together in the thor pic. And of course the size of zerglings varies a lot in concept art, drawing slightly smaller lings would also account for this difference.

Anyway TLDR, yeah, that size is more or less consistent with other pictures. They're all a little different, but not a lot. It definitely isn't smaller than my guesses.

So I've been doing some research since I'm working on my cross sections again, and stumbled across the Mechanics of StarCraft. I just had to share it here since they use Robear's drawings for their purposes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJwP...g5fal45tIsgyOQ

Speaking of which... Kinda wonder if we should have our own video talking about our own theories...
    Hah, at first I was wincing that they used my old battlecruiser drawing, the one I did without references, but then I saw how old the video was. It's also interesting that they labelled it a Leviathan, though I guess you kind of have to if you accept the SC2 behemoth design.
    I'm actually quite glad about this sort of usage. When I first started the project, part of it was out of a desire to make people think about the units actually being different sizes, and, hey, some guys used it for that. Yay.

As for our own videos... Haha, I don't think we'd ever be able to make any as a collective, because a lot of us actually disagree on a lot of points. I use my drawings and 3D models to express my interpretations (/ impose my will ) about things like the battlecruiser hangars being located in x place and being big enough to hold dropships and then go from there.
    Animators always impose a viewpoint, like, I put the missiles on my wraith 3D model in the thick part of the wings on either side of the cockpit, because that's where I think of the missiles coming from. But the Blizzard model doesn't actually show that, I think that because of artists like SgtHK and Freespace's versions of them. There are other people who put the missiles underneath the wings, and then who knows where you were planning on putting them. :P

Shadow Archon could probably make his own video with his precise size estimates, since mine are more rough and wishy-washy.
    Last edited by Robear; 10-10-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    Shadow Archon could probably make his own video with his precise size estimates, since mine are more rough and wishy-washy.
    Eh, maybe. I've got a few scalings that should be enough information for putting together a Youtube video, but I honestly would need to find a good microphone and software program to edit with. I'm inexperienced with Youtubing as a contributor really. If I did, I know I would just have to attack that ~550 meter long, ~80 meter wide figure though, and explain how it simply is wrong.

I wouldn't say my scalings are more precise than yours. I know some of my scalings disagree with yours though, a few of them very wildly due to where I scale them from, but I think that both interpretations are valid to have. The lore is a bit inconsistent, especially with the sizes of certain things.

The big ones that disagree I think are the Minotaur Battlecruiser, the Science Vessel, and the Leviathan.

We've talked about the Science Vessel before in this thread, because I scaled it according to the UED cinematic giving it a width somewhat equivalent of three Battlecruisers side by side. It was like 11 or 13 kilometers wide I think.

With the Leviathan, due to the scene with Kerrigan's Dropship and a prior scaling of that, I scaled it to being ~35 kilometers long due to the slit she entered the Leviathan.

With the Minotaur, it's between 7 kilometers and 11 kilometers long due to how they showed it in Front-line.

I haven't scaled the manga Viking yet, but its also likely going to be much bigger than yours probably due to just how different it is.

As for that Thor, I'm waiting to see if they release the full version on one of their sites before scaling it myself.

I don't think you have to take too much on consideration "Frontline", i have the 4 coming books on my hands and i think that the stories are good, but not really canonic or faithful on sizes and stuffs... On Thundergod they call "Thor" a mech that later was renamed "Odin" for example... Dumbass pilot that get infested and then crazy and finally dead, so funny

Quote Originally Posted by DefilerRulez View Post
    I don't think you have to take too much on consideration "Frontline", i have the 4 coming books on my hands and i think that the stories are good, but not really canonic or faithful on sizes and stuffs... On Thundergod they call "Thor" a mech that later was renamed "Odin" for example... Dumbass pilot that get infested and then crazy and finally dead, so funny
    It's part of the canon. Metzen has stated as much beforehand IIRC. Sure, it has inconsistencies in it, but that doesn't make it any less of an authority than the games.

So, you can either go with the idea that the Dominion had Thors as far back as 2502 or that Swann invented them. Given that the Dominion magically had Thors around in the Char assault, and on levels before Media Blitz, I'm fine with Thundergod.

The only thing explicitly non-canon are the Starcraft RPGs.

I think Metzen said a crap XD in the games we can see a lot of Thors with the Dominion:
    *In Thor bios of Battle.net said it is a Dominion techology and the Umojan discovered with spyes and they afraid about that
    *In WoL in Armory the Thor is in the "Dominion" section like Ghost and Spectre.
    *We can see 2 Thors in the Spectre cell of New Folson
    *There is a Thor in Castanar's lab
    *In the first mission of Char the Dominion have 2 Thors to be rescued
    *In the second mission of Char in HotS we can see some Thors in Warfield base
    *In the first 2 Skygerir mission the Dominion have a lot of Thors
    *In the Moros ship of the Dominion they have some Thors
    *In Korhal the Dominion have a lot of Thors and Elite Thors
    *There is a Thor in the Zergling evolution mission

So I think Metzen is wrong, Swann maybe create a "mini-Odin" but the Thors is a Dominion technology

Quote Originally Posted by Zarxiel View Post
    So I think Metzen is wrong, Swann maybe create a "mini-Odin" but the Thors is a Dominion technology
    Don't blame Metzen.

Bryan is the one who stated Swann was meant to invent the Thor.

However, he said it in such a way that acknowledges Thunder god.

I'll pull up the quote when I'm at a computer.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Archon View Post
    Don't blame Metzen.

Bryan is the one who stated Swann was meant to invent the Thor.

However, he said it in such a way that acknowledges Thunder god.

I'll pull up the quote when I'm at a computer.
    Pretty sure Brian actually admitted that they messed up.