Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Unit Pictures

Default Re: Unit Pictures

There's some good reference material for dragoons and immortals. Regarding the latter, I've seen conceptual work depicting a protoss body within the shell of an immortal, allowing for some decent estimation of size.

Have you considered capital ships? What about gaurdians and other zerg?
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirel View Post
    Never realized how much the Goliath looks like an AT-AT...

Have you considered capital ships? What about gaurdians and other zerg?
    According to the wiki, a minotaur-class BC is 560 meters long by 82 meters wide, and has a crew complement of about 8000. That would make it about 40 percent larger than a Nimitz-class supercarrier (currently the largest capital ship in the world). Presumably, it would be significantly more massive as well. I'm not sure how accurate that information is, but it does seem to be a reasonable estimation (at least much more reasonable than 2 leagues anyways).

Carriers, I'm a bit less certain about. I think everyone'll agree they outstrip BC's in terms of dimensions/mass. But exactly how much?.........

Zerg Leviathans are basically gargantuan space whales capable of carrying entire broods within their innards, that'd probably make them at the them equal to, if not greater in size to the largest Protoss motherships.
    Last edited by phazonjunkie; 10-13-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: moar!!!!

For capital ships, I'm planning to include several different classes of battlecruiser and two different dropships to account for the inconsistency in size between different games (i.e., the SCG/medivac dropship that only fits marines and maybe a vulture, and a larger SC1-style one that could fit a tank). There are parts on the SC1 'Behemoth' and SCG battlecruisers that look like hangars for wraiths and dropships, so I'll try to scale the battlecruisers depending on how big the dropships come out to be. The different classes in my diagram will correspond not only to the newness of the warship, but to different sizes as well. (In the attachment, the SC2 one doesn't really have any clear docking area, so I'll just try to scale it based on the bridge in the campaign, where you could look out the windows.)
    So, I'll work my way up through the smaller ships and make sure that the smaller ones fit inside the battlecruisers, and then, yeah, make similar guesses with Protoss and Zerg ships.

I'll include 2 carriers as well, the SC2 'tempest' design that I'll make around Battlecruiser size, and the old school design for the Gantrithor supercarrier, which'll be really big, based on the mutalisks flying inside of it in the SC1 cutscene.

I'm still working on the smaller units that I can more accurately scale for now (I've already finished a DT, larva, and an Archon that I still need to upload). Does anyone know any sources for the sizes of Roaches and Lurkers? If not I'll just make them big enough to look like they can own marines.
    Last edited by Robear; 10-13-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Robear - you got my frontline message right? There's some roaches in why we fight, but I don't remember if they were compared to anything.

Considering Lurkers are evolved from Hydralisks, I would probably just compare their heads and scale the body accordingly, maybe making the Lurker only slightly larger due to added armor and musculature.

As for Guardians, I would reference the end UED cinematic, where a Vulture is being chased down a path by two of them towards an Ultralisk. That would probably make them only slightly larger than Mutas. The Hyperion armory also gives you some very good reference for the battle suits and ships, though I think the Dropship should be a bit larger than as depicted.

I'm really excited to see what you come up with.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 10-14-2011 at 04:27 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Robear - you got my frontline message right? There's some roaches in why we fight, but I don't remember if they were compared to anything.
    Yes I did, and thanks very much, it was very helpful. Unfortunately, though, I've gone through Why We Fight, and on the ground for the Zerg it has only hydras, lings and ultras; no roaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas
    As for Guardians, I would reference the end UED cinematic, where a Vulture is being chased down a path by two of them towards an Ultralisk. That would probably make them only slightly larger than Mutas. The Hyperion armory also gives you some very good reference for the battle suits and ships, though I think the Dropship should be a bit larger than as depicted.

I'm really excited to see what you come up with.
    Sounds good for the guardians, and, yeah, for the dropships I'm going to have the smaller, infantry-sized version for the medivac and a larger one that can carry tanks or goliaths. Thanks for the support!

I'm still just working on the art side of things, but since it's the weekend again I should be able to churn out a bunch more units. For now, here's a couple more Protoss units, does this Archon size seem reasonable?

Last edited by Robear; 10-14-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    Yes I did, and thanks very much, it was very helpful. Unfortunately, though, I've gone through Why We Fight, and on the ground for the Zerg it has only hydras, lings and ultras; no roaches.
    It's on top left of #14.

The archon seems fine. Not sure if there are too many great references out there though.

I'd ultimately like to see the Overmind and Shakuras Temple included. The Overmind will dwarf everything, including the Gantrithor, so it's likely going to have it's own comparison chart, where everything else is just specks.

What about cerebrates? There are things in the original Zerg briefing room that appear to be cerebrates to me along the wall. You can compare the size of these things to Kerrigan in the final BroodWar cinematic.
    Aaand sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I'd ultimately like to see the Overmind and Shakuras Temple included. The Overmind will dwarf everything, including the Gantrithor, so it's likely going to have it's own comparison chart, where everything else is just specks.
    Indeed, the UED victory cinematic and the third WoL toss mission really showed how giant the Overmind was. In retrospect, Tassadar must have summoned DBZ-like amounts of energy to have destroyed it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    What about cerebrates? There are things in the original Zerg briefing room that appear to be cerebrates to me along the wall. You can compare the size of these things to Kerrigan in the final BroodWar cinematic.
    I don't think those are cerebrates. They wouldn't just be hanging on a wall, and they would all be dead in the brood war cinematic. Personally I think that's the inside of a hive, and those are larvae or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Running the risk of starting a nerd war, but...AT-AT? As in, the four legged walker? An AT-ST or AT-PT perhaps, but...

...my link to the Force has been disturbed.
    Oops.

To make it up to you, I'll link to this.